THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Glove Box fuse?

06-06-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Glove Box fuse?

Does anybody know which fuse controls the glove box light?
      06-06-2023, 10:48 AM   #2
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

could be fuse 70 5 amp, BMW 2-Series Tourer (F45/F46) (2015-2021) Fuse Box Diagrams

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 10:50 AM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

also try this

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...?albumid=13091
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #4
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Thanks for your posts. Im beginning to think its neither the bulb, Nor the fuse. I get continuity on my meter on several suspected fuses, and the light in the trunk and all other lights work. I changed the bulb, and that didnt work either and visible inspection of the filament looks in tact. Its a mystery. Guess Ill have to have the dealer check it out next time Im there.
      06-06-2023, 12:33 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

NP, are you getting 12volts at the terminal ?

have you had a good look at the terminal, (I can't remember now) but are all the terminals are clean, all the prongs are making good contact.

Need to know 1st if you have 12volts there if you do, has to be something messed up on the terminals or bulb (do an ohms check on it)

clean up the contacts as well, try wiggling everything. if your not getting 12v, then it could be further back, also check if it's properly grounded, you may have 12v, but if the ground is dead or OC, try connecting a wire to the earth terminal and then straight to a ground

sorry if I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Thanks for your posts. Im beginning to think its neither the bulb, Nor the fuse. I get continuity on my meter on several suspected fuses, and the light in the trunk and all other lights work. I changed the bulb, and that didnt work either and visible inspection of the filament looks in tact. Its a mystery. Guess Ill have to have the dealer check it out next time Im there.
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      06-20-2023, 10:01 AM   #6
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
NP, are you getting 12volts at the terminal ?

have you had a good look at the terminal, (I can't remember now) but are all the terminals are clean, all the prongs are making good contact.

Need to know 1st if you have 12volts there if you do, has to be something messed up on the terminals or bulb (do an ohms check on it)

clean up the contacts as well, try wiggling everything. if your not getting 12v, then it could be further back, also check if it's properly grounded, you may have 12v, but if the ground is dead or OC, try connecting a wire to the earth terminal and then straight to a ground

sorry if I'm trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs
Thanks Nazali. What is the terminal you are referring to? Gonna try and revisit this as the light is still out.
      06-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

not sure what yours look like on my 1 series was like this, the terminals that the bulb connect to inside the unit, take a poicture and show us
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 01:18 PM   #8
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
not sure what yours look like on my 1 series was like this, the terminals that the bulb connect to inside the unit, take a poicture and show us
Wow thats so different from mine . Here's what mine looks like
Attached Images

06-20-2023, 06:06 PM   #9
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

ok let's start from scratch. yours looks nothing like mine but lets take a looksie

1> are you getting 12 volts at the socket,
put a DVM (digital volt meter across the 2 terminals) you should get 12 volts (give or take)

If you don't have a DVM, get a 12v tester (type with a bulb) put the probe into one side, the other to a good grounding point one terminal you should get a light thats your 12 volts

The other is your earth, check the resistance using a DVM from the other end to a ground

if you don't have a DVM, you'll need to use your test screwdriver point to a known postive and the other end goes to the other terminal

I hatre screwing around without a DVM

report back

1> do you get 12volts across the terminals (yes/no)
2> do you get 12 volts (tester from postive terminal to ground (yes no)
3> do you get a continuity test to ground (yes/no)
4> if you have a DVM, go from the ground terminal to a ground and report back the resitance

5> if NO to 1> and you have a DVM, put it to ohms and check the + terminal to earth, report back the resistance

5a> if NO to 1> and you have a DVM, put it to ohms and check the resistance across BOTH terminals
DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR SEEING ANY VOLTAGE

A> another tip, get a VERY small screwdriver enough so it will fit in side one terminal, wrap some very fine sandpaper, and use it like a file GENTLY to clean any corrosion on both terminals

B> Get a very small pair of needle nose pliers or screwdriver and try and CLOSE/tighten the contacts... the bulb should have a littel bit of pull resistance and not be sloppy or easy to pull BE VERY CAREFULL AND GENTLE doing this

REPORT BACK
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 06:13 PM   #10
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

an example if you find which one is positive
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 06:16 PM   #11
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

With my DVM set for direct current, I put one probe on one side of the bulb's socket, and the other in the other. I also switched them as I wasnt sure which side was positive. .At any rate, neither measurement returned 12v. I wasnt able to get a good solid reading but 12 never crossed the screen. so Im thinking of having the dealer check it out at my next service.. Very curious what the problem is.
      06-20-2023, 06:18 PM   #12
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

you could actually try cleaning and tightening the contacts, try a bulb,

ALSO check to see if the connector is blowing the bulb, rare but possible
check the resistance of a good bulb before pluggin it in, check it afterwards, look at the little coil see if it's burnt

ALSO put the bulb in and try wiggling the wire that goes into the connector ALSO, ALSO inspect the cable for any breaks/cuts etc also look inside the contacts and check if it looks broken, loose, wonky etc
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2023, 06:24 PM   #13
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

ok WHAT was the voltage ?

was it like a couple of volts ? 8 volts, if it's seeing something, you need to really see if there is a short pulling down the power,

I mean if you had a short, you'd blow a fuse right, I'm wondering if there is some condition on the terminals NOT giving you 12volts.

try cleaning the terminals as I said in case it's corrosion.

try going from one terminal to ground and measure the ohms, what your looking for is a short or open circuit

if you go across both terminals with a voltage on ohms, you really shouldn't blow your meter, but the reading you'll get is nonsense.

I would def say not a bulb, could be one ofseveral things

1> fault in the wiring
2> (not a blown fuse if your seeing SOME voltage)
3> possible some kinda condition on the wiring or short bringing the 12volts down.

USUALLY that glovebox is off a fuse which looks after MULTIPLE things, if a fuse had gone you'd notice other things so I doubt it

Could possible be the ACTUAL terminal so a good clean and tighten up is in order, OR a cableing issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
With my DVM set for direct voltage, I put one probe on one side of the bulb's socket, and the other in the other. I also switched them as I wasnt sure which side was positive. .At any rate, neither measurement returned 12v. I wasnt able to get a good solid reading but 12 never crossed the screen. so Im thinking of having the dealer check it out at my next service.. Very curious what the problem is.
Appreciate 0