THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trade 2 for 3

03-24-2024, 07:59 PM   #1
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 2018

Trade 2 for 3

I own 2018 m240 20k miles paid for.
Go to a 2024 m340 for $850 month lease.
Selling the m240 for $30k is about the total of the lease over the 3 years.
So is it a crazy move ?

Inputs are always considered.

Hap
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:03 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Planning on walking in 3 years?
Appreciate 1
qlaval52.50
      03-24-2024, 08:25 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Except for the lease part, I considered the same exchange this past month, looked at the numbers, and decided I was financially and functionally significantly better off staying with what I have. A large part of that had to do with what I've put into my car: coilovers, LSD, full PPF, Dinan piggyback and CAI, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 08:40 PM   #4
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post
I own 2018 m240 20k miles paid for.
Go to a 2024 m340 for $850 month lease.
Selling the m240 for $30k is about the total of the lease over the 3 years.
So is it a crazy move ?

Inputs are always considered.

Hap
You have a 6 year old, very low mileage car you straight up own. You can trade it for the use of a brand new car for 3 years, and then you own nothing. That makes no sense to me.

OTOH, if you don't mind still making payments to have a new car, take the 30K, invest it and shoot for a 10% return (if you are lucky), that makes your lease more like ~$600/mo (more or less depending on the investment income), but you still get to keep the principle regardless. I could see that being a sensible thing if you really want a new car.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 10:37 PM   #5
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
You have a 6 year old, very low mileage car you straight up own. You can trade it for the use of a brand new car for 3 years, and then you own nothing. That makes no sense to me.

OTOH, if you don't mind still making payments to have a new car, take the 30K, invest it and shoot for a 10% return (if you are lucky), that makes your lease more like ~$600/mo (more or less depending on the investment income), but you still get to keep the principle regardless. I could see that being a sensible thing if you really want a new car.
I would add what is the down payment on a 3 years lease? If he wants something new, the best option is to buy to maintain a residual value on the long run.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:44 PM   #6
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
If he wants something new, the best option is to buy to maintain a residual value on the long run.
Agreed, buying is usually a better plan than leasing in the long run financially unless the latter has tax benefits for you. It sounds like he is more concerned with having a new car than the most efficient long run though, which is where leasing is attractive.

If you want a new car regularly and don't mind a perpetual payment leasing has advantages. You can also buy a new car regularly and sell it when you want a new one of course, but then the opportunity cost of that money is on you as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 05:38 AM   #7
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All points to ponder.
My justification in my mind is...
I lease for 3 years and I have nothing ? If I keep my 6 yr old car for 3 more years what is its value after 3 more years. Not accounting any repairs for next 3 years on older car. I can always buy the car at end of lease. But knowing me I will want another new. It cost $ to drive BMW's and I have spent plenty over past 5 years. I am not wealthy but have a car budget that I can live with and $1000 a month is OK with me. I am at an advanced age so I don't need to save money for a rainy day I want to enjoy things I enjoy while I can. So that's my thinking on the silly trade for a lease thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:03 AM   #8
zoro2001
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Garage List
1998 SLK 230  [0.00]
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post
All points to ponder.
My justification in my mind is...
I lease for 3 years and I have nothing ? If I keep my 6 yr old car for 3 more years what is its value after 3 more years. Not accounting any repairs for next 3 years on older car. I can always buy the car at end of lease. But knowing me I will want another new. It cost $ to drive BMW's and I have spent plenty over past 5 years. I am not wealthy but have a car budget that I can live with and $1000 a month is OK with me. I am at an advanced age so I don't need to save money for a rainy day I want to enjoy things I enjoy while I can. So that's my thinking on the silly trade for a lease thoughts.
OP said "I am at an advanced age so I don't need to save money for a rainy day I want to enjoy things while I can"

This is the key. Lease a new car and enjoy it!!
Life is short, enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 12:14 PM   #9
mecodoug2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i MT

You are only driving about 3000 miles per year. In three years the M240 will only have 30K miles and will still have a high resale value. Driving a M240 is more fun than a M340. Unless you need the back doors I don't see any good reason for such a poor economic decision. But practicalities may not be your priority....
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:54 AM   #10
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the inputs.
I will be driving the M240 more now as I have moved to warmer state and it won't be in storage for 6 months.

Good point that the 2 is more fun than the 3. I have this car for the fun. A bit more comfort is what I was thinking with a 3.

This isn't a wise $ move or practical. Those are not a priority for me at my age.

A Cadillac V is also an interesting car?
Hap
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 12:08 PM   #11
albertw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M240i

If you decide to make a change, you owe it to yourself to test drive a CT4V Blackwing. Depending on how much steering feedback matters to you (I appreciate that it doesn't matter to many here), you might find it a transcendant experience. I did. That's the only reason I'm trading my M240i for a Blackwing. At my age (mid-70s) I didn't want this numb steering BMW to be my last enthusiast car. And, like you, I can afford to make the change.

I considered making the various changes to the to the front suspension and steering apparatus that have been reported to improve steering feedback. I decided against that based on dradenrh reporting that all his modifications didn't improve the steering all that much. (Thanks, dradernh.) That fits with the report I cited previously that all the steering feedback on our cars is computer generated, and the Car & Driver report that a BMW engineer stated that they build them that way because that's what their customers prefer. So, it's all us owners who are the cause of the steering being as numb as it is.

If only BMW had put better steering on the 240, it would be the perfect car for me and I would keep it as long as I can drive.

Last edited by albertw; 03-26-2024 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 02:44 PM   #12
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
If you decide to make a change, you owe it to yourself to test drive a CT4V Blackwing. Depending on how much steering feedback matters to you (I appreciate that it doesn't matter to many here), you might find it a transcendant experience. I did. That's the only reason I'm trading my M240i for a Blackwing. At my age (mid-70s) I didn't want this numb steering BMW to be my last enthusiast car. And, like you, I can afford to make the change.

I considered making the various changes to the to the front suspension and steering apparatus that have been reported to improve steering feedback. I decided against that based on dradenrh reporting that all his modifications didn't improve the steering all that much. (Thanks, dradernh.) That fits with the report I cited previously that all the steering feedback on our cars is computer generated, and the Car & Driver report that a BMW engineer stated that they build them that way because that's what their customers prefer. So, it's all us owners who are the cause of the steering being as numb as it is.

If only BMW had put better steering on the 240, it would be the perfect car for me and I would keep it as long as I can drive.
I'm in agreement with you that the 4-V Blackhawk is the most compelling alternative, and I'd include the M3/M4 in that judgement, too.

I'd note that it was only on the track that the lack of formerly available BMW-level feedback from the front tires was meaningfully noticeable in my car. I'm also in my mid-70s and no longer drive anywhere nearly hard enough on the street for it to matter to me. This includes on the really fun, narrow, and challenging back roads in this region. I do understand that this difference certainly does matter to other owners.

My front-end modifications were designed to and resulted in much sharper turn-in responsiveness along with a significant reduction in body roll. Dodging potholes revealed by the car in front of me is remarkably easy; two snaps of the wrist and another one has been missed!

But those mods were never going to recreate the feel of the tires' contact patches on the pavement offered by the older hydraulic systems. I can't imagine it would cost BMW (and us) very much to offer us Cadillac/Porsche-level steering quality. As you noted, however, BMW knows its customers well, and as a group they not only don't care, only a few have ever noticed the difference.

Edit: I should have mentioned that my car's steering is very accurate. It goes right where I tell it to, just without that old-time, tires-meeting-the-road feeling. Generally, I think that's nothing to do with the mods, as C&D says pretty much the same when it comments on the steering of contemporary BMWs.

Last edited by dradernh; 03-26-2024 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2024, 04:10 PM   #13
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP: have you driven the 340? If enjoyment is what you are after, then, if the car moves you, go for it. Personally, I still love driving my 235 after nine short years. It still has the classic BMW feel (OK, OK, except for the lack of much steering feedback) and the new 340 is much larger, too big for me.
Appreciate 0