THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Performance Upgrades

09-06-2023, 08:47 PM   #1
KureCoach
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i convertible

Performance Upgrades

So, in the past few days, I have swapped in a MAD high flow downpipe, FTP Chargepipe, FTP Turbo boost pipe, MAD FMIC, NKG plugs, Dinan Coils, K&N air filter, and aFe air inlet. I also recently changed out the boards to make the halo lights yellow. My Turbo inlet pipe and BM3 is next.

Thanks to Fritz Ramos and others for their YouTube videos. Also, XPH, BMS, and ECS for their help and commerce.

As far as the installs went, most were about as I expected after watching many, many videos. However, there were some differences. Mind you, I have a 2016 M235i F23. Most everything out there for help is for F22. Only slight variations observed.

Downpipe- There was very little room to work. There was an extra bracket mount above the normal DP to engine bracket. I also had barely enough length on the (blue) O2 sensor wire to reconnect after the new DP install. Nice weight savings there.
Chargepipe- This was a little more difficult than I remember it being on my 2015 F22. Just took a little finagling and twisting to get the OEM out.
Boost Pipe- This was quite a tight fit. Need to make sure the pipe is lined up at the correct degree orientation for ease of install.
FMIC- This was much heavier and larger then OEM. Takes time and patience to get all to line up and fit well. I had to trim the plastic on the passenger side of the cooling fan for the FMIC to slip into place. This may be a F23 v F22 difference.
Plugs and Coils- Pretty straightforward here. Again, it just takes time and patience. The magnetic thin walled socket is a must.
K&N Filter- I wasn't paying enough attention when removing the air filter housing and broke the vacuum house connector on the intake tube. JB Weld to the rescue.

Hope this might add some assistance to folks doing the same.
      09-07-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for your support

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KureCoach View Post
So, in the past few days, I have swapped in a MAD high flow downpipe, FTP Chargepipe, FTP Turbo boost pipe, MAD FMIC, NKG plugs, Dinan Coils, K&N air filter, and aFe air inlet. I also recently changed out the boards to make the halo lights yellow. My Turbo inlet pipe and BM3 is next.

Thanks to Fritz Ramos and others for their YouTube videos. Also, XPH, BMS, and ECS for their help and commerce.

As far as the installs went, most were about as I expected after watching many, many videos. However, there were some differences. Mind you, I have a 2016 M235i F23. Most everything out there for help is for F22. Only slight variations observed.

Downpipe- There was very little room to work. There was an extra bracket mount above the normal DP to engine bracket. I also had barely enough length on the (blue) O2 sensor wire to reconnect after the new DP install. Nice weight savings there.
Chargepipe- This was a little more difficult than I remember it being on my 2015 F22. Just took a little finagling and twisting to get the OEM out.
Boost Pipe- This was quite a tight fit. Need to make sure the pipe is lined up at the correct degree orientation for ease of install.
FMIC- This was much heavier and larger then OEM. Takes time and patience to get all to line up and fit well. I had to trim the plastic on the passenger side of the cooling fan for the FMIC to slip into place. This may be a F23 v F22 difference.
Plugs and Coils- Pretty straightforward here. Again, it just takes time and patience. The magnetic thin walled socket is a must.
K&N Filter- I wasn't paying enough attention when removing the air filter housing and broke the vacuum house connector on the intake tube. JB Weld to the rescue.

Hope this might add some assistance to folks doing the same.
Turbo inlet was a good mod, you'll want to consider the DV at the same time. they increased throttle response and high RPM HP, so that was plus, but made the stock intake box a restriction. So much so it caused some turbo lag which was corrected with a MPPK/M2/Cut airbox or aftermarket intake.