THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Is an intake worth it?

08-19-2023, 03:10 PM   #1
Guitarkid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3 Aero, BMW 325xi

Is an intake worth it?

Bought a 2016 m235i x drive recently with a 5 year or 60k mile warranty. It has a Remus cat back and is lowered on dinan springs but stock otherwise. And the plastic charge pipe has been upgraded to metal already, saving me a job. I’m new to bmw and I know tuning will probably void the warranty. I do want more power eventually and more turbo noises would be nice. I’m looking at the dinan cold air intake but it seems a bit high in price for what you get, plus I get the impression it’ll throw a check engine light. I came from a WRX with typical mods which needed to be tuned for literally anything under the hood lol. So is getting an intake worth it?
      08-20-2023, 03:03 PM   #2
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

I have the same intake, you won't hear it. Intakes on these cars don't really make any power, putting a good filter in the factory airbox is all you need. You could throw the m2 airbox lower half in there if you want some noise, still won't hear much from it though.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 03:39 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

An intake will get you more power and turbo noise, with the Dinan you are paying for the carbon fiber. If that's a goal, then you can skip this intake for a less expensive non-carbon intake.

Lots of good options, like MAD, CTS, Injen, BMS

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 03:44 PM   #4
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Check out our intake! You will definitely be able to hear it and for the price you won't be disappointed.

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-f3x-n55-m...w-heat-shield/

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 11:21 AM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Waste of money and no 3rd party dyno proof of useful power gains. Plus you'll likely be rewarded with CELs and driveability issues and responses from vendors saying that "We've sold tons of these and never had a reported issue" when you contact them to ask why your car is throwing a A/F ratio CEL. I've only been on this forum since 2015 so what do I know
      08-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Waste of money and no 3rd party dyno proof of useful power gains. Plus you'll likely be rewarded with CELs and driveability issues and responses from vendors saying that "We've sold tons of these and never had a reported issue" when you contact them to ask why your car is throwing a A/F ratio CEL. I've only been on this forum since 2015 so what do I know

option 1 - intakes add power:
lots of dynos by manfucturers and customer (i believe AmuroRay also posted his results)

Option 2 - intakes do not add power:
Not a single dyno or proof from anyone for the last 15 years with BMW turbo cars.

As for the CEL, if you are that concerned about it, you can get one the intakes with no CEL guarantee like CTS or MAD.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarkid View Post
Bought a 2016 m235i x drive recently with a 5 year or 60k mile warranty. It has a Remus cat back and is lowered on dinan springs but stock otherwise. And the plastic charge pipe has been upgraded to metal already, saving me a job. I’m new to bmw and I know tuning will probably void the warranty. I do want more power eventually and more turbo noises would be nice. I’m looking at the dinan cold air intake but it seems a bit high in price for what you get, plus I get the impression it’ll throw a check engine light. I came from a WRX with typical mods which needed to be tuned for literally anything under the hood lol. So is getting an intake worth it?
DO NOT DO THE DINAN. I had one - you can read my review here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=121

You can see some dynos of intakes here -both conducted by independent 3rd parties:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=12

The basic gist of it is good intake will add power, though you'll want a turbo inlet for the best gains.

I have also had the BMS, the MPPK/M2 and now I have the CTS (which is the best of all - and I'm selling it) The Dinan had some funky issue with the throttle not being consistent, and actually showed the lowest power compared to the other option listed (based on logs)

My CTS sounds good (but not too loud) has perfect throttle response and improved power, and the IATs are fairly low.

And once more, a shameless plug - I am selling mine with a CF Evolve scoop:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2042540
      08-23-2023, 07:20 PM   #8
Kboustani
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235I

I just installed the burger Motorsport one and I can hear the turbo sound clearly,definitely worth every penny even at zero HP.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 10:43 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboustani View Post
I just installed the burger Motorsport one and I can hear the turbo sound clearly,definitely worth every penny even at zero HP.

Appreciate 0