THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235i N55 New Owner

08-03-2023, 04:13 AM   #1
JimM235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

M235i N55 New Owner

At the beginning I want to say hello to the BMW community.
I am New to the platform. I have never been driving any BMW before.
I was wondering to buy one and finally the time has come. I have bought M235i 2015. Car has around 130k miles on the clock. I am absolutely in love with this car. Already tuned, crazy fast car. The only thing is, that after I bought it, started to investigate common problems of N55 and a lot of people says, that conrod bearings are the biggest problem. I found my local community, group of people and I asked them about that thing. Some of them told me, that bearings are not a problem, oroblem is luboil system. Some told me, that we have to change bearings every 60-100k miles because they are just poor. Some say, there is no problem with it at all. I know that my car is high milege car and now I am wondering if I should change them, look at them or leave it like it is? The problem is, that I am an engineer and I always say to lower rank mates ‚do not fix it, if it is not broken’. So the biggest problem is, that I am worrying - if there is no problem so far, or we dont know, I dont want to make more problems. I coud not find a lot M235i cases with spun bearings, but N55s platform seems to have quite a lot of them. Try to understand me guys, I have been looking for perfect car for me, I found perfect setup. Just drove it for 2k miles and I dont want to lost the engine. And there is so many different information on Google, so I am more stupid, than before I bought the car. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 09:43 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Welcome to the forums, i feel you should have asked these questions before you purchased the car.

That said, a high-mileage BMW will need some work down the road.

If the car runs well now and is well maintained I would not change anything preemptively.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 10:42 AM   #3
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Bearing problems only happen when you abuse it, its a oiling problem during high lateral Gs, like when you're tracking the car. You can slap a baffle in the pan and it fixes that right up. If you're not going to beat on it I wouldn't worry about anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #4
JimM235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Welcome to the forums, i feel you should have asked these questions before you purchased the car.

That said, a high-mileage BMW will need some work down the road.

If the car runs well now and is well maintained I would not change anything preemptively.
I think It was well maintaned. Like 0-80k first owner 100% highway drive. Oci 10-12k miles (this could be better). It was adjusted to 10k but he was driving realy easy this car so iDrive told him to do OCI every 12k. Car was driven realy gently. 80-130k 5-6k oci. Generaly car looks like It would be 50k max. VCG, OFHG, HPFP, Injectors, New hybryd TC, FBO Stage 2, No leaks, No codes. Same here. I will take care about this car, because it was always my dream to have M Power, so I bought M Lite at the begining.
Money is not a big deal to do some maintenance, the point is, that I would like to have reliable car. So I dont need to look here or there to find a New engine or so. I’m just, like I says if it is not broken, dont touch it. That’s why I ask about the bearings. If it would be water pump, fuel pump, injectors or so - No problems.
And to be honest, I knew that It is high mileage, but It was jus a perfect setup for me. First drive and I knew that I will buy It.

I dont plan to push It hard. Most of the time car would be in the city. No track days. I drive my cars easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 05:50 PM   #5
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
When your oil pan leaks, change the bearings and post pics. Until then don’t worry about it, just don’t track it and you should be fine
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:16 PM   #6
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Agreed. Enjoy it. Drive it. Play. Fix it when it needs it.
AND welcome!
Appreciate 0