THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning N55 squeal new pcv valve cover and no fix

07-14-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
DanAmbro
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 235i

N55 squeal new pcv valve cover and no fix

Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2016 BMW M235i N55 on 52000 miles.

Shortly after purchasing, I started noticing a squealing/whistle noise at idle constantly and 3-4sec after I switched off the engine like the video attached.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Afseh8OkaO0
https://youtube.com/shorts/YjfpQyiyzNY

Since Finding the Noise I have replaced the PCV Valve Cover and Gasket and the squeal still persists.

However, to add to the problem I have noticed a massive oil leak from the round back of the engine and gearbox could this mean the PCV Eventually broke the rear main seal?
FYI 1 Litre of Oil from 500-600 miles.

SOMEONE, PLEASE HELP IM A WITS END WITH IT.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 01:34 PM   #2
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Did you replace the entire valve cover or did you do the hacky Amazon/Ebay repair of replacing the diaphram?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 01:42 PM   #3
DanAmbro
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Did you replace the entire valve cover or did you do the hacky Amazon/Ebay repair of replacing the diaphram?
Hi,

No I replaced the whole thing ( rocker cover ) rather than the cheap method of cutting and resealing it
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 04:55 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The engine creates vacuum at idle and under light throttle.. You've got a significant oil leak, presumably at the rear main seal. The noise seems more significant under the car near the trans. The rear main seal is in this area. I'd fix the seal as it is also the likely source of the sound. To be leaking 1 quart every 500 miles is major.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 05:34 PM   #5
DanAmbro
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The engine creates a vacuum at idle and under light throttle.. You've got a significant oil leak, presumably at the rear main seal. The noise seems more significant under the car near the trans. The rear main seal is in this area. I'd fix the seal as it is also the likely source of the sound. To be leaking 1 quart every 500 miles is major.
Thank you very much for the reply and straightforward help, I think that's definitely the root of the problem, and will be my next fix unfortunately before I throw any more money at it.

Now I don't suppose you are aware of labour times or costs this may come with the repair I know the part is about £27 however I'm trying to work out general labour costs.
Appreciate 0