THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M235i Rubbing Traffic Lights

09-08-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
JimM235i
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

M235i Rubbing Traffic Lights

Ok, I noticed something strange today. I use my M235i 2016 in the city, quite a big traffic jam every day 10miles/1.5h. Normaly I drive in Comfort mode. But I was so bored today and switched to Sport+. All good, car drives perfectly fine. And now is the hard thing, to explain the issue. 🙂
When I push It a bit harder in Sport+ mode (4k+ rpm) and then I need to stop on traffic lights I can feel ‚friction’. Like something is turning and rubbing something else underneath the car. So I pushed my car harder, traffic light, rubbing. Then drive easy, No problem. Strange. Even my gf noticed it.
I was curious if it’s engine related and No - when I put gearbox to P, rubbing is gone immediately. When you drive easy, No problems. And It’s like turning/rubbing, but much slower than 600rpm engine. Rpm gauge - stable. No noise, just feeling. As I says, car runs great, No codes.
It will be really hard to find, because it’s rare problem, but I’m more like, maybe it’s some common problem I have not heard about.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 11:43 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I remember reading the car disengages the alternator when driving and has a slight delay before it engages when you let off the gas pedal. That's not exactly what happens but think of it as a gimicky regenerative braking system. It's more dramatic in the sporty modes. Mostly for squeezing out a couple free horsepower and better fuel economy. From what you described that sounds like what happens (mine does it too with the B58 engine).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 12:01 PM   #3
james4321
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 335i+

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
I remember reading the car disengages the alternator when driving and has a slight delay before it engages when you let off the gas pedal. That's not exactly what happens but think of it as a gimicky regenerative braking system. It's more dramatic in the sporty modes. Mostly for squeezing out a couple free horsepower and better fuel economy. From what you described that sounds like what happens (mine does it too with the B58 engine).
You know that my ‚problem’ appear only when car is standing still?
Can It be this?
Appreciate 0