THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2015 M235i (Auto) shuddering at idle (drivetrain fault)

08-14-2023, 12:52 PM   #1
jake34
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i (Auto)

Exclamation 2015 M235i (Auto) shuddering at idle (drivetrain fault)

Hi,

I have a 2015 M235i auto that's just hit 61k miles and it's started showing a fault, I'm going to take the car in ASAP but would appreciate if anyone had any thoughts as to what might be going on, I'll list the details below:

- Car is shuddering/shaking at idle and at low revs and goes away towards the mid/top end.
- Shuddering progressively increases the closer to idle the car is and is somewhat sporadic.
- Full oil / spark plug service carried out ~2 weeks ago by BMW and this issue was not present before this (not accusing though).
- Issue has happened twice on a 'cold start' but not in the morning, only in evening after work. Both times the issue has cleared after roughly 5 minutes of driving.
- Drivetrain error has only happened on the second occurrence when shuddering was more noticeable than the first.
- When pulled over the car seemed to develop a ticking noise from the driver side (RHD) side of the engine but I'm not sure if this is related.

That's pretty much it, thanks in advance if you can think of anything
Appreciate 1
F22Cam61.00
      08-17-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
jake34
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i (Auto)

Update

Posting this update for anyone in the same situation.

BMW had a look and confirmed Cylinder 3 was misfiring due to a coil pack clip/connector not being seated properly.
Appreciate 1
F22Cam61.00