THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning transmission oil leak

07-23-2023, 05:25 PM   #1
Itr123
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m235i

Garage List
transmission oil leak

I had the car on a life this weekend, and this is how the transmission sump looked like!

Should I be concerned? Shall I change it? It's a full on changing of the oil, the filter and the actually plate and screws that needs changing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 04:44 PM   #2
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

First question, are you sure that's transmission fluid? You may want to drop the bottom tray and look further. Fluids can drift/drip/migrate a long way from where they start.

If that is transmission fluid, yes, definitely it needs to be fixed. But, you may not need to drop the tray. There are also issues with the seals around the electrical connection. iirc, that can be addressed without dropping the pan. (might be wrong).

Also, it wouldn't hurt to just go around and retorque all the screws. Keep in mind that these screws use a really low torque setting. In in-lbs, and different depending if steel or aluminum screws were used. I had to buy a new torque wrench that went that low.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50