THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Question about accidents on a track

05-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #23
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcompact View Post
At BMW CCA HPDEs students have to be signed off by their instructor before they can drive solo. As an instructor I won't sign off anyone that isn't ready.

I had Phil as my last instructor, said i'm Advanced intermediate but not ready for solo @ LRP.

Than I went to a SCCA event last week where everyone was solo...

Word of advice, the best hpde's are Audi, Porsche and BMW events. Next is NASA and Hooked on Driving, last is SCCA tracknights.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #24
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

As others have said choose your track events carefully. Some organizations do a better job than others keeping everyone safe. Wide open track events by small organizations seem to be the most risky. Some things I look for, word of mouth (find someone who has been there before), separation into groups based on experience, tighter rules (like strictly enforced passing zones) for the less experienced groups, restricted number of cars on the track at any one time, mandatory vehicle safety inspection, track marshals in the tower, corner/flag workers covering the whole track, mandatory drivers meetings to cover the rules, strict policy on removing unsafe drivers, tow vehicle standing by, emergency vehicle standing by.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:28 AM   #25
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcompact View Post
At BMW CCA HPDEs students have to be signed off by their instructor before they can drive solo. As an instructor I won't sign off anyone that isn't ready.

I had Phil as my last instructor, said i'm Advanced intermediate but not ready for solo @ LRP.

Word of advice, the best hpde's are Audi, Porsche and BMW events. Next is NASA and Hooked on Driving, last is SCCA tracknights.
Are scca track nights that bad? I'm doing one this Wednesday.
      06-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #26
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Get familiar with your car, OP. I always recommend doing some auto-x first to get a handle on how your car reacts since auto-x courses are typically low(er) speeds and thus unwanted maneuvers are more easily correctable.

Here's me getting WOT a little early with a little too much steering angle and I managed to get it back in line fairly easily. The M235i has an incredible (and forgiving) chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

It all depends on your level of confidence for SCCA tracknights and if what you're looking to learn (how to run the track or how to run your car). Everyone is available to do ride-alongs to teach you, and most people who are new still stay in Novice or Intermediate groups to mostly learn their car, and the Advanced guys have already done enough track days where they can (hopefully) handle themselves. There's always tow vehicles, emergency personnel, flag stations, etc. Definitely not a free for all, and you're always taught how/where to pass and how to do point-by's.

If you're new and new to pushing your (fast) car, I wouldn't recommend SCCA tracknights and would say to go for an event with an instructor. If you've done some track events before and are familiar with your car, or if your car isn't overly fast with lower handling limits, I'd say a SCCA tracknight would be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
No, they're just very lenient. Don't track a car that isn't ready and don't over-exert yourself and be a hot-head and you'll be fine. I've been to a couple and have had 0 issues and have seen 0 issues; though I've been to Pocono where the track is VERY wide, and there aren't any hills or pitch changes except on the banking of the outer triangle.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:01 PM   #27
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Get familiar with your car, OP. I always recommend doing some auto-x first to get a handle on how your car reacts since auto-x courses are typically low(er) speeds and thus unwanted maneuvers are more easily correctable.

Here's me getting WOT a little early with a little too much steering angle and I managed to get it back in line fairly easily. The M235i has an incredible (and forgiving) chassis.

It all depends on your level of confidence for SCCA tracknights and if what you're looking to learn (how to run the track or how to run your car). Everyone is available to do ride-alongs to teach you, and most people who are new still stay in Novice or Intermediate groups to mostly learn their car, and the Advanced guys have already done enough track days where they can (hopefully) handle themselves. There's always tow vehicles, emergency personnel, flag stations, etc. Definitely not a free for all, and you're always taught how/where to pass and how to do point-by's.

If you're new and new to pushing your (fast) car, I wouldn't recommend SCCA tracknights and would say to go for an event with an instructor. If you've done some track events before and are familiar with your car, or if your car isn't overly fast with lower handling limits, I'd say a SCCA tracknight would be fine.

No, they're just very lenient. Don't track a car that isn't ready and don't over-exert yourself and be a hot-head and you'll be fine. I've been to a couple and have had 0 issues and have seen 0 issues; though I've been to Pocono where the track is VERY wide, and there aren't any hills or pitch changes except on the banking of the outer triangle.
That oversteer looks so manageable it looks like you could have counter-steered your way out of it in your sleep. Very nice.
      06-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #28
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
That oversteer looks so manageable it looks like you could have counter-steered your way out of it in your sleep. Very nice.
I've only had it scary sideways once and that was because I provoked it with a clutch-kick in 2nd gear while attempting to send off my prior super-sport's in an honorable way. Even then it was manageable.

You can feel the rear coming out before it does as well. I just stayed in it to see how the brand new tires would be and what their gripping point was.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 03:16 PM   #29
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I've only had it scary sideways once and that was because I provoked it with a clutch-kick in 2nd gear while attempting to send off my prior super-sport's in an honorable way. Even then it was manageable.

You can feel the rear coming out before it does as well. I just stayed in it to see how the brand new tires would be and what their gripping point was.
Also, what shift knob are you using? The MP one? If so, do you like it, or is it kind of forgetable?
      06-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #30
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm going to njmp tommorow for scca trackday "nights" if anyone is going.

Im running in advanced class so im free for ride alongs if you want some instructions on the car.

Also check your brakes, fluid, tire pressures, charge pipe, lug nuts before you go out. Also bring 4-5 bottles of water or gatorade. You should be peeing 2 times in between your sessions. Watch out for the red mist...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #31
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:

Im running in advanced class so im free for ride alongs if you want some instructions on the car.

Also check your brakes, fluid, tire pressures, charge pipe, lug nuts before you go out. Also bring 4-5 bottles of water or gatorade. You should be peeing 2 times in between your sessions. Watch out for the red mist...
Seconded on keeping hydrated. You would be shocked at how demanding driving a road car on a race track for 30 minutes can be on your body . . .
      06-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #32
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hops128i View Post
As others pointed out, no... it's safe. The problem I have with scca is people go into advanced groups that have no business being there. Guys with no experience at certain tracks go into advanced because they have done 3 track days before, than after one session smash, or are completely off the line which slows everyone down and can be dangerous.

See this mustang from SCCA tracknights at LimeRock:

Im in the white 235 in front. He misses the line, comes in way to hot to almost every turn.

You should always go to a new track with an instructor until you get cleared to solo. You pay enough, take the education. And always ask to ride in his car during his session to see how a real driver handles the track.

SCCA, you tech your own car, meaning if you never tracked before you don't know the rules. Nothing in the car, no floor matts, nothing that can fly off, at you, at other cars or get stuck under a pedal.

Check your brakes, last scca guy shows up with no brakes left... Like wtf were you thinking... "Oh i'm in the advanced group and had 3 track days so far..." dude your an idiot, your car is unsafe, you never been to this track before, and you are risking you and others.

This lil rant is why i don't like scca, but if your skilled, it is a cheap way to get on track. If your a beginner, id say go to another event like BMW,Audi, or Porsche. They have expert instructors which keep you safe and teach you how to drive your car. After like 5-6 sessions you should be cleared to solo and move into advanced groups.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #33
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

For those that have got it, what does track day insurance typically cost?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:09 PM   #34
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
For those that have got it, what does track day insurance typically cost?
About $300 for 40k worth.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #35
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
As others pointed out, no... it's safe. The problem I have with scca is people go into advanced groups that have no business being there. Guys with no experience at certain tracks go into advanced because they have done 3 track days before, than after one session smash, or are completely off the line which slows everyone down and can be dangerous.

See this mustang from SCCA tracknights at LimeRock:

Im in the white 235 in front. He misses the line, comes in way to hot to almost every turn.

You should always go to a new track with an instructor until you get cleared to solo. You pay enough, take the education. And always ask to ride in his car during his session to see how a real driver handles the track.

SCCA, you tech your own car, meaning if you never tracked before you don't know the rules. Nothing in the car, no floor matts, nothing that can fly off, at you, at other cars or get stuck under a pedal.

Check your brakes, last scca guy shows up with no brakes left... Like wtf were you thinking... "Oh i'm in the advanced group and had 3 track days so far..." dude your an idiot, your car is unsafe, you never been to this track before, and you are risking you and others.

This lil rant is why i don't like scca, but if your skilled, it is a cheap way to get on track. If your a beginner, id say go to another event like BMW,Audi, or Porsche. They have expert instructors which keep you safe and teach you how to drive your car. After like 5-6 sessions you should be cleared to solo and move into advanced groups.

Most large groups advanced groups are really not that advanced. They are always bumping people up to make space for students ext. I gave up on track days that offer instruction and mostly stick to open track day style, yes they are much more expensive, but much more fun. David Murry throws excellent events with this format.

It's interesting switching from wheel to wheel racing to track days, I swear some drivers at track days are way more aggressive than wheel to wheel, as if getting passed at a track day means anything.

Take it easy, bring your car home and have fun, de days are meant for learning and fun. Your driving a street car, maybe with some mods, but not a race car with a cage and halo seat. That's what I always remind myself if I get too aggressive or focused on lap time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #36
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Going to be there too, in novice.
      06-21-2016, 10:13 PM   #37
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Also, what shift knob are you using? The MP one? If so, do you like it, or is it kind of forgetable?
I'm using the last generation MP knob. It's silver instead of that flat carbon fiber look. I had it in my E46 and I like it in my F22 because it matches my trim. I love it; the ZHP (stock) knob feels huge after I switch back to it sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #38
Hops128i
Captain
Rep

Quote:

It was good to see you at wednesday's track night.

Yeah, these two points you made had me a little concerned, but everyone on track in my novice group was super cool. It really contrasted my last event at summit point a couple years ago at a scca pdx: the track was packed, there was a coolant spill, another guy went into the tires because of bad brakes, and i got stuck behind people not giving point by's even with instructors in the cars.

Wednesday everyone was fast, with mechanically sound cars, and good with point by's (although i gave way more than i took!). But i can definitely see that the very casual track night atmosphere could led to a bad mix of drivers.
      07-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #39
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
what!
well at least at the bmw cca is what they say... now not sure if they enforce it or not... they might just say it for liability purposes
I drive with CCA all the time and I've never heard this except in novice and beginner groups.
      07-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #40
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
I drive with CCA all the time and I've never heard this except in novice and beginner groups.
maybe it's chapter dependent
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #41
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

I'd say start with the established clubs like the BMW or Porsche Club rather than the free for all, mad max type clubs. At one lapping day at Mosport's driver development track they towed 15 cars. The event was held by the Chinese Racers car club (or something like that). A lot of visa students with little experience. A luxury car smash up derby. Unreal. The good news? in a modern car you'll likely be okay in an accident.

I drive in the solo group with the BMW club at Mosport's Grand Prix track. Very rare to see the newbies get into trouble. The club won't put up with drivers not following track protocols. It's rare but the club will send drivers packing for the weekend if there are repeat issues. One driver actually got kicked out of the club for repeated problems. The final straw came when this driver disobeyed a track marshall and decided to drive back on the track after driving onto the grass.

Accidents tend to happen among the solos and sometimes the instructors. Sometimes it's truly a fluke accident but more often than not, bad judgement. In 6 years I've seen 0 accidents when it started to rain, one accident In the rain, and 3-4 just after the rain stops. Drivers get too confident before they get full grip. It's a repeat problem. Drive smart and you'll be like most drivers. Going home incident free.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #42
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
The event was held by the Chinese Racers car club (or something like that). A lot of visa students with little experience. A luxury car smash up derby. Unreal. The good news? in a modern car you'll likely be okay in an accident.
OP here. Pretty legit tips. Thank you so much.

I hope you don't have anything against "visa students", because that's how I got here in the US
I did come self-funded and after my 30's for grad school, so I'm probably another profile type than the one you are referring to. I can't afford a car crash for reckless driving either
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2017, 07:26 AM   #43
ineedae46m3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Were you in sport, sport+, or did you have everything off? I assume everything off to be able to oversteer that much?

I have only run in sport at the track at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #44
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
OP here. Pretty legit tips. Thank you so much.

I hope you don't have anything against "visa students", because that's how I got here in the US
I did come self-funded and after my 30's for grad school, so I'm probably another profile type than the one you are referring to. I can't afford a car crash for reckless driving either
I'm sure these guys are not typical. They come over and tell Mum and Dad a Toyota Corolla is a $100,000 and buy something ridiculous. It's not the fact they are visa students that causes them to crash their cars. It's their complete lack of experience.
Appreciate 0