THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 5 days old and then this happened...

05-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

5 days old and then this happened...

hi team. i picked up my m240i (black/sensatec/6sp) on monday.

yesterday morning i came out of my house to discover the car was vandalized. scratches all over the hood, minor dent on driver's side hood, MAJOR dent on the passenger side. appears someone bashed it in, punched it, jumped the hood, etc. tried to pull up security footage and the only thing that looked sketchy was a big produce truck that parked closed to it (sadly my car was just out of the camera's view).

i filed a claim through GEICO, filed the police report. at this point, i've accepted it, and i've moved onto "how do i get this fixed quickly". irony is that i'm moving in a week and the new place has a garage and i told myself that the car only needed to "survive" for 2 weeks on the street. note: i live in a very safe area in Georgetown and parked the 228i outside daily for a year with no such incident. only typical bumper damage you get w city parking.

question for the team since it's been awhile since i've had to deal with insurance and never an incident like this. my insurance will cover the vandalism with a $250 deductible. however, i can't remember whether the insurance company dictates to ME where i can get it fixed, or if i can take it to BMW and they'll cover it (by cover i mean anything about my deductible).

unsure whether the debt can be sucked out or if i need a completely new one. sad photos attached.

thanks all. otherwise it's been a dream thus far.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 03:21 PM   #2
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Sorry to see the damage. I'm not sure what makes people decide to screw with someone else's stuff.

For the repair, I'm not sure about where you live, but in NY it was a law that you could take your car to whatever shop you wanted to get it fixed. If I were you I'd look into the laws in your area to see it says. It shouldn't be too hard to find.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post

yesterday morning i came out of my house to discover the car was vandalized. scratches all over the hood, minor dent on driver's side hood, MAJOR dent on the passenger side. appears someone bashed it in, punched it, jumped the hood, etc. tried to pull up security footage and the only thing that looked sketchy was a big produce truck that parked closed to it (sadly my car was just out of the camera's view).

i filed a claim through GEICO, filed the police report. at this point, i've accepted it, and i've moved onto "how do i get this fixed quickly". irony is that i'm moving in a week and the new place has a garage and i told myself that the car only needed to "survive" for 2 weeks on the street. note: i live in a very safe area in Georgetown and parked the 228i outside daily for a year with no such incident. only typical bumper damage you get w city parking.

question for the team since it's been awhile since i've had to deal with insurance and never an incident like this. my insurance will cover the vandalism with a $250 deductible. however, i can't remember whether the insurance company dictates to ME where i can get it fixed, or if i can take it to BMW and they'll cover it (by cover i mean anything about my deductible).

unsure whether the debt can be sucked out or if i need a completely new one. sad photos attached.

[IMG][/IMG]
So sorry to see this... If you find em exact appropriate revenge, and don't park on the road...
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
Sorry you have to go through this

There are good people out there but there are also way too many people that need to be removed from the gene pool
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

That's horrible.
I don't know about insurance and not really following your question - I do believe policy holders have the right to take their car to whichever repairer they choose - estimates to get reviewed by your insurance company - and if a shop has had fraud or issues, the insurance company usually has a database.
No neighboring homes or business may also have security cameras?
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]
That sucks Bubsterino! Nothing that can't be fixed though. My experience with USAA was that they had a list of approved body shops you could use. I doubt BMW can do body work like that, but I could be wrong. Your best bet is to check with GEICO and see what their policy is. Sorry you have to deal with this!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 2
P253.00
      05-28-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

My wife hit a deer in our c300 last year and we have GEICO as well. They did give us an option as to where we'd like it towed (Mercedes or GEICO's list of collision shops). Unfortunately, Mercedes didn't have a collision shop of their own and would've outsourced the work, so we went with GEICO's recommendation.

However, since then, I've had to bring the car back in twice due to incorrect repairs (both due to fluids, no coolant in second reservoir and overcharging AC). Have had to go through Mercedes to work with GEICO, always a headache. So would highly recommend finding out if there's a BMW collision shop. Believe GEICO has a right to review the estimate, and even bring someone out to evaluate as well to ensure it's correct before they'll approve.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #8
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

That sucks.
      05-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #9
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

thanks for all of the responses. can anyone recommend a good BMW body shop in the DC/VA/MD area? hopefully GEICO will just let me take it where I want to. Worst part will be how long it takes...
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #10
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
Sorry to hear about the car, for me people who do these kind of stuff have a special place reserved for them in hell. I had a recent break in, although not as severe as yours there was cosmetic damage and my dealer service took care of them. I didn't have to deal with insurance as the service did it for me. Only thing to watch out is that service center has to be certified to carry out the repair, you can find one from here; https://bmwusaservice.com/ccrc
Hope it all gets well soon...

Last edited by omera60; 05-29-2017 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #11
blk88verde
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 6MT M sport

A construction crew, working on the building I was working out of last spring, oversprayed the roof they were repairing and coated my car and a coworkers BMW. There was a certified BMW body center a few miles down the road we both took or vehicles there for the clean up. USAA had no issue with me using them. If you can find a BMW certified center near by, I would have them do the repair work.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 05:40 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I'll add - I had a certified BMW collision center paint a new bumper and respray a damaged bumper and both resprays were top notch.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

In Delaware I can take my vehicle to any body shop I want. For damage that bad I would only want pros fixing it. F---ing a--holes that did it should have their asses kicked.

Last edited by Rayscott; 05-29-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #14
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

That just sucks.... 5 days.. Friggin pieces of *hit..

I hope the insurance company takes decent care of the situation..
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
That's horrible.
I don't know about insurance and not really following your question - I do believe policy holders have the right to take their car to whichever repairer they choose - estimates to get reviewed by your insurance company - and if a shop has had fraud or issues, the insurance company usually has a database.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
That's horrible.
unfortunately the only camera that was outside was the store across the street
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #16
Bill Kayen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230ix cabrio, 2021 X3

Garage List
Quote:
My recommendation is to insist on a new hood instead of letting them putty the damaged one. This way it will look as good as new when it's redone. Sorry for your inconvenience.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      05-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kayen View Post
Quote:
My recommendation is to insist on a new hood instead of letting them putty the damaged one. This way it will look as good as new when it's redone. Sorry for your inconvenience.
i'm assuming that the insurance company needs to agree with that?!

I also don't want to be without the car for a long time, so I'm trying to balance that as well
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #18
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

This sucks. Sorry man. I would kill anyone I caught doing this.
Appreciate 3
      05-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #19
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Sorry this happened to you

The world is full of aholes
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #20
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

@ssholes. Sorry OP. Nothing you can do at this point so try not to stress about it. Every states laws regarding choice to repair is different. Where I live an insurance company cannot "steer" you to particular shop. They can provide you a list of their approved shops but you are free to have it repaired wherever you like.

To find out you can contact the Insurance Commission in your state. The benefit of using a shop on your insurance companies approved list is that you have a better chance of having any issues resolved if there is a problem with the work that was done. Ask your friends and family who they take their cars to for repairs.

When you are considering a shop as them to show you some finished vehicles and for a tour of the facility. You can also ask if their are BMW certified.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #21
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
@ssholes. Sorry OP. Nothing you can do at this point so try not to stress about it. Every states laws regarding choice to repair is different. Where I live an insurance company cannot "steer" you to particular shop. They can provide you a list of their approved shops but you are free to have it repaired wherever you like.

To find out you can contact the Insurance Commission in your state. The benefit of using a shop on your insurance companies approved list is that you have a better chance of having any issues resolved if there is a problem with the work that was done. Ask your friends and family who they take their cars to for repairs.

When you are considering a shop as them to show you some finished vehicles and for a tour of the facility. You can also ask if their are BMW certified.
That is good advice.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #22
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Sorry this happened my dude. Hopefully all get repaired well, good luck
Appreciate 0