THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum The Car (Transmission) Kicks 2 Seconds After Coming to a Full-Stop

04-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #23
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
So, today I went to the service as my parts from Germany arrived and I needed to drop the car off and would have picked it up tomorrow. To my surprise I've been told the engineering department from Germany wanted to investigate the cars kick issue via online so they can check and fix it. Unfortunately this means that I will to pick the car up on Saturday. Looking on the half full side of the glass, everything is being done at once so, hopefully, I can enjoy the car on the upcoming warm days
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #24
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

I've had this happen at least twice in my 15 M235i auto with start stop function disabled. Like you said it feels like I've been rear ended. Keep us posted on the possible "fix". Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 02:36 AM   #25
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
I talked to the service today. They removed the transmission and discovered some small metal pieces in the oil. They took a sample and send it to be inspected. It seems that they might change the transmission as a whole. This means that it will take 2 weeks for it to arrive from Germany. When I first got the car, while leaving a garage with a steep entrenace and a gate in the middle of the entrance I had to stop for the gate to open, once I started to move I heard a grind noise. I told this to the dealer back then and they told me it would be fine but it seems like that may be the issue all along. I'll keep you guys updated.

Last edited by omera60; 04-25-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50
      04-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #26
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
I just came back from the dealer. I've been told that this may have started as a software issue and then turned into a mechanical one. To my luck they have spare transmission in their warehouse that is brand new. If it needs replacement (they are sure %90 it will) they can bring it in just 1 day! I'll keep you guys updated...

Last edited by omera60; 04-25-2017 at 07:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50
      04-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #27
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Good deal they are going to really work on fixing things. You could show them a Nascar pit change and tell them that over in America we change them out in about 90seconds...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #28
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Good deal they are going to really work on fixing things. You could show them a Nascar pit change and tell them that over in America we change them out in about 90seconds...
Lol, they get things done quickly when everything is in place, the time consuming thing is waiting and diagnosing. Even with airfreight it takes 2 weeks (mainly due to customs) and I'm in Europe. I wonder how long will the same job take if it was being done overseas or China/Japan...
Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50
      04-26-2017, 03:42 AM   #29
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
I've been called from the service today, they will be loaning me a 3 series and they are trying to get things move faster (I called someone yesterday to do me a favor ). I will be talking to them once I'm there on our current situation and how to move forward.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #30
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
So, BMW AG advised that they change the mechatronics unit first, as this part is unavailable at the stock of the service at the moment they placed an order. As I said before, they are trying to speed up its delivery but it can also take the usual length of 15 days (fingers crossed it doesn't ). After receiving the part and installing it, they will be doing some test driving to see if it solves the problem, if not, transmission change. In the mean time I asked for the vehicle to be put back together so they can move it to the bodyshop from the mechanical workshop where they will install the freshly delivered parts that were damaged during the break in. I will report back once I have more info...
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #31
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

This is a great mystery read.. Thanks for the updates... My first thought was Transmission valve body issues.. Besides software, that would be the only thing that would cause a hard shift in either direction.

Can't wait to hear of the resolution.. I'm also glad that BMW is treating you right..

Good luck and hope you get back on the road soon..
Appreciate 1
omera60194.50
      04-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #32
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
This is a great mystery read.. Thanks for the updates... My first thought was Transmission valve body issues.. Besides software, that would be the only thing that would cause a hard shift in either direction.

Can't wait to hear of the resolution.. I'm also glad that BMW is treating you right..

Good luck and hope you get back on the road soon..
Indeed it is, glad you are enjoying it . This is the treatment I would expect from a premium car manufacturer like BMW, this should be standard all around the world. Thank you for your kind wish, I can't wait to get her back, hopefully I will be back on the road in no time...
Appreciate 1
pz6193278.50
      05-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #33
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys,

Back with a small update, the mechatronics unit has arrived today, they'll be installing and testing it. I've been told that if everything goes smooth and they get approval from the technical delegate and Germany, I'll be getting the car either tomorrow or Thursday. Fingers crossed as my school is in break before finals and I want to drive my bimmer down the road in these sunny days
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:29 AM   #34
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Sorry for your problems. The new Corvettes are having a similar issue with their 8 speed automatics. It is a torque converter problem w/ that transmission.

I actually traded mine in on an M240i as mine was an early 2015 build and didn't want to have to put up with that issue.

I'll bet the new transmission will solve your problems going forward
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:18 AM   #35
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for your input, sorry to hear about your corvette and happy to hear about the M240i I hope that won't be necessary but only time will tell. They told me if this doesn't solve the problem then there is a %90 chance that BMW AG will ask them to replace the transmission. If this does solves the issue, do you think at some point down the line (on the long run) it may cause same/other issue(s) and need a replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #36
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Not that familiar w/ the BMW 8 speed transmission and it's components. Overall the ZF 8 speed is a great transmission w/ few problems reports (which I'd have had one of these in my C7)

Not sure what the component (mechatronics unit) actually is or does. Apparently it controls the hydraulics in the transmission.

Here's a some reading that may help (if nothing else it may tell you whether your experiencing the same symptoms as the others):

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...ntribute-yours

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3968936

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...atronics-issue

http://www.bmwlogicseven.com/?p=3738

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...now-fixed.html

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #37
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Thank you for the read materials, I've been told both by BMW and Deutsche-Broke that mechatronics unit is a modern equivalent of valve body somehow. My hope is that this will all be done with just the replacement so I can put all this behind and enjoy the ultimate driving machine
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #38
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Took the car from the service today. After replacing the mechatronics they drove the vehicle for 61 km and then gave it to me to test it as the head technician said that I know the problem better then them. After coming home which in total 143 km I can still feel a kick but it's not everytime and it's extremely soft near nothing. I called them and they told me to use it thru the weekend as the service is closed and there is no point in bringing it back as the car will just sit there. I've been told to call them on Monday if there is any changes to the issue good and bad. Let's see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:10 AM   #39
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Sounds like the dealership is trying to make it right. Maybe a new transmission is in order. Just don't settle for "almost fixed". More than likely issue will get worse over time. Again, sorry to hear you are having an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #40
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
I want it gone, %100 no less then that. Good thing is they are really trying to help and as fast as they can. The only problem is they need to get permission from BMW AG to carry out any type of repair. This usually takes a day or so as they confirm it and give the go ahead to them. Last time they checked there was a spare tranmission at their warehouse so if they can get BMW's permission they can bring it the next day and install it. Since the current state is so soft I'm not bugging them but still, I want it not doing it at all...

Last edited by omera60; 05-12-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 06:11 AM   #41
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quick update,

Last night after some spirit driving when pulling into the parking spot I engaged the reverse and gently let go of the brake but the car didn't respond, I was on a flat surface, so I gave it some gas, it started moving but was increasingly heavy as if hill start was holding it, hand brake down. So this morning I called the SA to tell him about the situation, he told me that he has some good news as BMW approved the transmission change and he was going to call me today afternoon after he checked the transmission is still available at their storage. He said he'll get back to me on it once he can confirm they still have it at their inventory, if it's still available then they will bring it to the service which will arrive tomorrow at 15.00ish so I decided to drop the car on Monday as they need it for at least a day. I'll report back once I have the results but my gut tells me that this will solve the problem because I had a feeling that this may be caused by a damaged Torque Converter, if it doesn't I'm thinking on going the lemon law way...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #42
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Excellent news.

I'd wager this will remedy the issue as it replaces the only component that could be causing the problem.

Certainly not what we expect when we buy a new car, but at least going forward, you should be able to enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 1
omera60194.50
      06-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #43
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Just picked up the car today and all I can say is wow. Not only the kicks are gone but the feel overall is as smooth as butter. Shifts are faster, fuel economy is better and more reasonable. They drove it for 60km, I'll test it for couple of days as well to be sure but my gut tells me that it's finally over and I can enjoy my car now...
Appreciate 1
ianp62252.00
      06-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #44
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Great news.

Now you can really enjoy the car to the fullest. The ZF transmission is a great performer. I'm really impressed w/ mine.

So, put those troubles behind you and enjoy your car.
Appreciate 0