THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 328i 6MT to M240i 6MT

05-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

328i 6MT to M240i 6MT

Hello, everyone. The bug has bitten and I'm actively researching any information I can get on the 2018 LCI M240i 6MT as my lease will be near completion in about a year. As you can see, I've done some mods to my 328i M Sport 6MT to make it more fun but I'm ultimately craving something with more power and a bit more fun to drive naturally. The M240i seems to fit the bill. My girlfriend (soon to be wife) drives a full size sedan and after that will probably get a small crossover so my next car doesn't have to be a sedan or necessarily large, however 2 seaters are out. From what I've seen on the LCI, the headlight/taillights will be improved to full LED units and FINALLY a good looking wheel will be available (I think the current year M240i wheels are horrible looking). I'm looking for some feedback from folks that either had an F30 3 series or similar class car that traded it in for a 2 series and what your thoughts are. Thanks!
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I have a 2016 328 sport wagon, Dinan Stage 1, and am on my second M235. Have had both coupe and convertible. So not direct comparison to what you are asking but close enough.

The ONLY reason I would prefer a 3 would be for highway driving or room. Since you have that covered you will be very happy with the change. Stereo options suck though, HK in 2 is worse than HK in 3 as an example.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy5 View Post
Hello, everyone. The bug has bitten and I'm actively researching any information I can get on the 2018 LCI M240i 6MT as my lease will be near completion in about a year. As you can see, I've done some mods to my 328i M Sport 6MT to make it more fun but I'm ultimately craving something with more power and a bit more fun to drive naturally. The M240i seems to fit the bill. My girlfriend (soon to be wife) drives a full size sedan and after that will probably get a small crossover so my next car doesn't have to be a sedan or necessarily large, however 2 seaters are out. From what I've seen on the LCI, the headlight/taillights will be improved to full LED units and FINALLY a good looking wheel will be available (I think the current year M240i wheels are horrible looking). I'm looking for some feedback from folks that either had an F30 3 series or similar class car that traded it in for a 2 series and what your thoughts are. Thanks!
I went from a 13' 328i xDrive M-Sport to a 16' M235i and could never go back to an F30. I had an AFE tune on the F30 which definitely made it a little quicker but otherwise the F30 was a disappointment. Granted the soft squishy xDrive suspension didn't help it's case.

The biggest differences I think going from F30 > M235/M240 is the size. The 2 is such a small and nimble car. I remember driving it home from the dealer after turning the F30 in. It was such a surreal experience. While the F30 is a capable car I never found myself making excuses to drive it.

The 2 just has that unquantifiable something that makes you want to drive it - for any reason. A year and a half in it still feels special every time I drive it.

The things I think you appreciate most going from the F30 to the 2 is 1) the engine - the straight six is liquid smooth with a snarl that begs you to get into it and it just keeps pulling all the way up the rev range and 2) the suspension - what a difference adaptive dampers make. You can go from comfort mode on rough pavement to Sport or Sport+ when the roads smooth out. All with the flick of a switch.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #4
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
A year and a half in it still feels special every time I drive it.
What a truly accurate quote!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantdieselx View Post
A year and a half in it still feels special every time I drive it.
What a truly accurate quote!
The only other car that has made me feel that way was the 135i. The 2 is one hell of a car.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
elus1ve
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive Cabriolet

Had a 128i 6mt which i loooved. My first rwd and bimmer. Then went with a 2013 328i coupe xdrive fully equipped cause winter doesnt agree too well with rwd here in canada. Made me miss the smaller fun car but got to say that the 3 was a nice comfortable ride and looked quite premium with the options i had on it. Like how it made me and any passenger feel like this was a special car. However i missed the fun factor so much i got a 2016 235i xdrive convetible, also fully equipped with m exhaust. Got the grin on my face again when I'm behind the wheel but i do feel it's a downgrade in terms of comfort and quality. The leather isn't as nice or extensively applied. Weird little things missing like being able to control both driver and passenger temperature together. There's rattle, more than i would expect even for a convertible. The sound system is crap as many have mentioned. All goes away when i press start.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #7
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I moved from a 330d xDrive Touring to an M235i Convertible, which is quite a change, but haven't regretted it. The 330d Touring was a great motorway cruiser, especially with passengers, who liked the panoramic roof and heated rear seats. My main concern, though, was, as you might expect, luggage space:

However, even with the top down, the 2 has been able to accommodate much more luggage than I anticipated. It may be fortuitous, but our new suitcase set fits really well inside the boot with the top down. With the fold-down rear seat (an option in the UK) we've done touring holidays with three suitcases, a car refrigerator, two big boxes of stuff, and equipment like boots, poles and coats for hiking as well as hotel attire. And the top down as well.

Obviously, the 2 can't accommodate some things the the 3 Touring could (like bikes laid flat, big boxes etc.) but this hasn't proved a big issue for us. Our 2nd car can fit most things and the bike carrying isn't a major requirement.

The wind deflector is very useful when touring, as it hides the contents of anything on the back seat. And it works well on long, fast highway drives - you can actually have a conversation at 65mph and there's relatively little turbulence.

The 330d is a hugely torquey engine and obviously, switching to petrol means more gear-changing, even in EcoPro and a turbo 3.0L. But this is a small price to pay for the 6-cyl which I would say is still a cut above a 4-cyl. I appreciate the price premium going from 4 to 6 but for me it was well worth it.

The 3 Series is a barge by comparison to the 2. In part, that's what made it good on long freeway trips. But for me the 2 weight/power/agility balance is hugely refreshing in comparison. And the physical size is an unexpected bonus - I underestimated just how much easier the 2 is to park than the 3, especially in the usual melée of a public car park. Although you will need to adjust to the longer doors.

It's only in the US that you see comments about the 230i being better-balanced than the M235i/240i. Sorry, but I just don't see this, and I did test-drive various different engines. I actually wouldn't want any less weight over the front of the car (I may be biased, coming from the a 330d with that big diesel plus xDrive over the front). What I have had to adjust to is that for me, the centre of rotation seems to be a bit further back in the 2 than the 3 i.e. on a roundabout, I put more of the car ahead of me before I turn than I did in the 3. And as you probably know, we have lots of roundabouts in the UK ....

Some people complain about the restricted view out the rear when manoeuvring. This is especially the case with the convertible and it smaller rear window. I've not found this to be an issue: I'm an older driver (63) who grew up with having to use rear/wing mirrors (and non-power-assisted steering!) so it doesn't worry me and if you make intelligent use of the rear-view camera, then I don't see this as a big deal. But I would recommend having the camera option.

The petrol tank is oddly small compared to the 3 and obviously, moving from a diesel to a petrol meant adjusting to the reduced driving range before fill-up. This hasn't been an issue, but might have been a minor annoyance if I was doing the high mileages I'd been driving previously. I keep a spare can in the garage so I can top-up if I'm in a hurry, but I have only used this a couple of time in 9 months.

I agree about the naff stock wheel design. But their one advantage is they don't tend to show the dirt like brighter alloys do. Come the winter and wet weather, this is quite useful if you're driving daily.

I don't have the limited slip differential (LSD) as this is a dealer retro-fit here in the UK as opposed to a port swap in the US. I left it to see if I felt the need and so far, have not. But I don't track my car and I know some owners swear by it, even on public roads. I owned a Lotus Elise 111S in the past and this is my benchmark sports car for handling comparisons and so far haven't felt the lack of LSD to be a problem.

Overall, even if I had unlimited funds to buy my dream Rolls-Royce Wraith ($350K at least - I live near the RR factory here in Sussex and see them out from time to time), I'd still have the M235i/M240i Convertible in the garage, and I'd still be taking the BMW out for a bit of fun in the sunshine, and as a practical small car for things like shopping etc. (although I suppose that if I could afford a Rlls-ROyce, I'd be paying someone to do my shopping ....).

All I'd say is that you may need to budget for some new luggage to fit neatly into the trunk and/or folded-down back seat. Especially if you opt for a convertible (where you lose some of the trunk roof if the top is down). On another thread here, someone reported that their local dealer had let them come down to the lot on a quiet day and actually try and see how well/not their existing luggage fitted in sales lot car. As for the rest, the camera can be really useful at times, and given your current car you will want the M brakes you get on the 240i, and the rest of the options are the usual personal want/need balance.

Last edited by msej449; 05-25-2017 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
IB6UB9ok
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive Estoril Blue

Garage List
I didn't think I could find a more enjoyable and involving drive as my previous BMW (I still have it...just needs a new clutch) which is an E90 330i 6MT. I was so attached to that car...worked on it from day 1 till just recently. Things I did to it...full M-Tech bodykit, Performance everything, intake, tune, suspension, brakes, full alcantara interior. I didn't think I could find anything as fun to drive as this one. No, it wasn't the quickest but it sure handled and sounded amazing! I'm now in my 3rd month ownership of an M240i x-Drive 8AT. What a machine! The acceleration, the way it just goes is incredible! Yea, for me the changes are quite dramatic compared to most here...6MT to 8AT, normally aspirated to forced induction, 4DR to 2DR. It was a bit of a learning curve for me with this M240i but I think I have it down pat 😊.

To the OP, go with what your heart (and wallet) tells you and get what you want. If it's another BMW I sure you'll love it! Oh...if I may add 1 suggestion. Go with x-Drive and the 8AT...you'll love the silky smooth and lightening quick shifts PLUS you get Launch Control 😜

Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #9
Cammy5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i M Sport 6MT

Great comments everyone. Exactly what I was looking for; keep 'me coming!
*M Performance Big Brake Kit
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

My 2er is only a 4 cylinder M-sport and fall in love with it more everyday. Fantastic car...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #11
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

I had an E90 '07 335i RWD auto - loved it for the engine and the handling - car had nada - just the premium package, no nav, no blue tooth, no parking cameras. Couldn't care less - it was all about the engine.

I went to a F30 '13 328i xDrive auto, loaded. It was totally reliable, a tank in winter, all the mod-cons, but I never loved it - missed the inline 6 despite all the other luxury features. I felt BMW really struck out on the F30 platform.

Been in my F22 '17 240i xDrive, auto, loaded again except for parking assist, and I have rediscovered my love for BMW. love the engine, love the steering feel, love the handling. Couldn't give a hoot about the smaller space, the inconvenience of 2 doors with my kids. Buying a car is about the passion - everything else is secondary.
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
blk88verde
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i 6MT M sport

Quote:
Been in my F22 '17 240i xDrive, auto, loaded again except for parking assist, and I have rediscovered my love for BMW. love the engine, love the steering feel, love the handling. Couldn't give a hoot about the smaller space, the inconvenience of 2 doors with my kids. Buying a car is about the passion - everything else is secondary.
Nicely said. I went from a 2014 F30 (320i 6MT, M sport suspension) to my 2017 M240i. Steering, handling and size are perfect in the M240i. That 6 is an awesome engine.
Appreciate 0