THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Picked up my '14 EB M235i 8AT last night

05-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

Thumbs up Picked up my '14 EB M235i 8AT last night

Came over from an '07 Mazdaspeed3, which was as close to FBO as I was comfortable.

After 10 years in that thing, it's really going to take some time getting used to having my legs skewed over to the left. Thankfully, it's not as jacked up pedal position-wise as the '00 Mustang GT I regret having ever owned.

Lack of LSD isn't an issue...yet. I must be content with being lazy (as well as aging/maturing) cuz I quite like the 8-speed auto. This is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have a manual transmission, but I'm sure I'll miss rowing through a 6-speed.

Whoa...I just did the math on how many years I'd owned/driven a manual transmission car and now am slightly depressed. Meh, that'll go away once I get in my 2er to drive home from work.

Anyway...happy to be here.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Congrats on the new ride!

The 8spd auto is the best auto I've ever drove. It's quite fun in manual mode also
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks! It's a heck of a lot better than the one in the Audi Q5 TDI that my dad had before diesel-gate, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
Came over from an '07 Mazdaspeed3, which was as close to FBO as I was comfortable.

After 10 years in that thing, it's really going to take some time getting used to having my legs skewed over to the left. Thankfully, it's not as jacked up pedal position-wise as the '00 Mustang GT I regret having ever owned.

Lack of LSD isn't an issue...yet. I must be content with being lazy (as well as aging/maturing) cuz I quite like the 8-speed auto. This is the first car I've ever owned that doesn't have a manual transmission, but I'm sure I'll miss rowing through a 6-speed.

Whoa...I just did the math on how many years I'd owned/driven a manual transmission car and now am slightly depressed. Meh, that'll go away once I get in my 2er to drive home from work.

Congrats and enjoy! The 8AT in our cars is brilliant. The more you drive it the more impressed you will become. Yes you lose some connection but you gain quicker acceleration and better mpg.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 11:55 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Congrats!

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #6
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats!
Thanks, Mike! I tried not to browse X-PH's 2er offerings before buying the car, but failed miserably, ha!

Need floor mats and cargo liner first, then must decide between Bavsound Stage 1 or BMS Stage 1 (or similar).
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Thanks, Mike! I tried not to browse X-PH's 2er offerings before buying the car, but failed miserably, ha!

Need floor mats and cargo liner first, then must decide between Bavsound Stage 1 or BMS Stage 1 (or similar).

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:

Congrats on your new ride. I think you'll continue to fall in love with the car.

LSD may or may not be an issue depending on the type of driving you do. Normal w/ some spirited driving unlikely you will miss it. If you are a track guy or do autoX, you may.

The ZF 8 speed is outstanding. Go into Sport mode and shift level to D/S and use the paddles. You'll feel like Fernando Alonzo in an F1. If you do the above w/o using the paddles, the auto shifts aggressively, holding the RPMs and shifts briskly upward. On deceleration, you'll experience some wonderful engine braking as well, without ever having to touch the paddles. Best of both worlds IMO.

Enjoy
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #9
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Congrats on your new ride. I think you'll continue to fall in love with the car.

LSD may or may not be an issue depending on the type of driving you do. Normal w/ some spirited driving unlikely you will miss it. If you are a track guy or do autoX, you may.

The ZF 8 speed is outstanding. Go into Sport mode and shift level to D/S and use the paddles. You'll feel like Fernando Alonzo in an F1. If you do the above w/o using the paddles, the auto shifts aggressively, holding the RPMs and shifts briskly upward. On deceleration, you'll experience some wonderful engine braking as well, without ever having to touch the paddles. Best of both worlds IMO.

Enjoy
Oh, I've already dabbled with the paddles...and thank God they got the +/- direction of the lever correct!

If ya don't mind, I'd much rather feel like Kimi Raikkonen in an MP4-20.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Fair enough.

I'm actually a Vettel guy myself. Will be interesting to how Fernando does at Indy this weekend.

Nigel Mansell actually did rather well his first time there (as an F1 Champ), although he could barely exit the car at the end of the race.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Right on...I used to be a Vettel fan, but the Red Bull dominance really killed it for me. I'm not not a fan, it's just that my enthusiasm has diminished.

I have a feeling that I'm going to want the LSD sooner rather than later. I do consider myself a track guy, although it's been years since I've done an HPDE. I decided to buy a motorcycle, which led to motorcycle track days, which let to a brief stint of motorcycle racing, which ultimately led to forced retirement from all motorcycles due to injuries, heh.

I don't know whether or not I should be surprised Fernando qualified 5th for Indy, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 11:58 AM   #12
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Congrats. Don't think you'll be missing the shifting too much, plenty to keep you engaged otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #13
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Right on...I used to be a Vettel fan, but the Red Bull dominance really killed it for me. I'm not not a fan, it's just that my enthusiasm has diminished.

I have a feeling that I'm going to want the LSD sooner rather than later. I do consider myself a track guy, although it's been years since I've done an HPDE. I decided to buy a motorcycle, which led to motorcycle track days, which let to a brief stint of motorcycle racing, which ultimately led to forced retirement from all motorcycles due to injuries, heh.

I don't know whether or not I should be surprised Fernando qualified 5th for Indy, lol.
If you do track (and apparently have some experience with that venue), then you will likely want the LSD.

For a "Street Geezer" like myself, I'd probably not notice any difference.

I was so happy to see Nico edge Hamilton out for the DC last season. I had been pulling for him the last couple of years when Mercedes was dominating F1 (and so was Hamilton). this year it looks like we actually have a "race".
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
I was so happy to see Nico edge Hamilton out for the DC last season. I had been pulling for him the last couple of years when Mercedes was dominating F1 (and so was Hamilton). this year it looks like we actually have a "race".
Same!

But very disappointed with how today's Monaco GP played out.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Same!

But very disappointed with how today's Monaco GP played out.
I do understand that. Although overall, a fairly pleasing result from the last few years.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      05-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #16
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Congrats and welcome!