THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What driving mode do you usually use?

08-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #89
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I think one feels the differences in the driving modes more if you've got a manual. Having a torque converter and quick shifting automatic takes out some of that connection and decision making. I couldn't imagine driving my 6MT in Eco under any conditions except for perhaps trying to get up a hill in the snow.
Eh you would be surprised, with sport+ and manual mode or S mode, the shifts are way more ferocious.
      08-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #90
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Eh you would be surprised, with sport+ and manual mode or S mode, the shifts are way more ferocious.
I understand that. My point was that an automatic mode, the 8AT isn't going to let you linger in the wrong gear. It will either downshift, will unlock and slip the torque converter a bit, or both to give optimal response for the driving mode you're in. With a 6MT, it's up to you to select that appropriate gear. In Eco mode, the driving dynamics of the 6MT are downright terrible.
Appreciate 1
rwjr449.00
      08-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #91
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
Than what? sport+ and manual or s gives the same shift performance as sport and manual or s.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 03:24 AM   #92
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Comfort around town Sport or Sport plus on road trips. I never use Eco rubbish mode and why would you for a saving of 1 cent as well the totally poor driving and performance.
You buy a BMW as it's a drivers car not a slug
      09-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #93
jsbird
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2009 328i

Sport Mode- most of it

For a long time did what many did here- comfort mode around town, sport when needing extra oomph or twistys.
But never liked suspension in Comfort- too soft and in corners too much leaning. So, like Anthony235, I find sweet spot is Sport using suspension only (much better in corners) and drivetrain off. Then push stick to the left to get Sport drivetrain mapping when needed. Much better por moi.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #94
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

sport mode in manual mode all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 12:25 AM   #95
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbird View Post
For a long time did what many did here- comfort mode around town, sport when needing extra oomph or twistys.
But never liked suspension in Comfort- too soft and in corners too much leaning. So, like Anthony235, I find sweet spot is Sport using suspension only (much better in corners) and drivetrain off. Then push stick to the left to get Sport drivetrain mapping when needed. Much better por moi.
Driving freeway their's no point in being in sport mode as there is no corners to talk about. Around town their's to many things to concentrate on to worry about how the car drives in sport, but get out of town and onto the country roads that's when it changes and sport + is the go. I'm also to lazy to push the button to sport on town trips.

Last edited by Kiwi; 09-02-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:34 AM   #96
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
I stay in Comfort most of the time. My car has the M Sport package and I like the feel of the M Sport suspension as standard. Ill put it in sport when I get into the mountains or windy roads with the setting of chassis only. I have 6MT and don't like the way sport changes the throttle.

Before I got this car I honestly thought id be putting it into sport mode 100 percent of the time. Boy was I wrong. Comfort is just fine for me and I think a lot of this has to do with the M Sport suspension's standard behavior and that I have a manual.
      09-04-2016, 09:40 AM   #97
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass View Post
I stay in Comfort most of the time. My car has the M Sport package and I like the feel of the M Sport suspension as standard. Ill put it in sport when I get into the mountains or windy roads with the setting of chassis only. I have 6MT and don't like the way sport changes the throttle.

Before I got this car I honestly thought id be putting it into sport mode 100 percent of the time. Boy was I wrong. Comfort is just fine for me and I think a lot of this has to do with the M Sport suspension's standard behavior and that I have a manual.
You don't mention the Track Package as part of your car's equipment. Without that, don't you have the non-adjustable 704 suspension option that is part of the M-Sport package? If so, your car's suspension setting isn't changed by switching between Comfort and Sport or Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:51 AM   #98
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
In Eco mode, the driving dynamics of the 6MT are downright terrible.
It feels like a Corolla with that combo.

I'm driving to Seattle from Salt Lake City later this month, I plan to use Eco Pro just to see if there is any significant difference. Going for an hour in light to medium traffic on the highway in Eco Pro seems to yield a 5-10% increase in MPG so there is something there.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #99
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post

I'm driving to Seattle from Salt Lake City later this month, I plan to use Eco Pro just to see if there is any significant difference. Going for an hour in light to medium traffic on the highway in Eco Pro seems to yield a 5-10% increase in MPG so there is something there.
I haven't measured it in detail while spending hours across the flatness of Ohio or southern Ontario on trips, but I do recall seeing an impressive number of "miles earned" shown in the cluster while in Eco and on Speed Control.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #100
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbird View Post
Although for sport type driving I prefer DSC off, when cruising on the freeway I use Comfort most of the time. The M235 has "adaptive" suspension, the suspension and steering gets stiffer as you drive faster or drive aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #101
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post

I think it is unlikely to make much difference on the highway, where speeds are relatively constant, unless you engage in "hypermiling". There will be some reduction of cabin heating and cooling, though. I think the best way to get good highway mileage is to limit your cruising speed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #102
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Although for sport type driving I prefer DSC off, when cruising on the freeway I use Comfort most of the time. The M235 has "adaptive" suspension, the suspension and steering gets stiffer as you drive faster or drive aggressively.
Just an FYI, there's nothing "adaptive" in those systems. Pushing the sport button takes the suspension for soft to stiff and the steering from light effort to more effort. Nothing is adjusting while you drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #103
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Just an FYI, there's nothing "adaptive" in those systems. Pushing the sport button takes the suspension for soft to stiff and the steering from light effort to more effort. Nothing is adjusting while you drive.
I have to disagree with you there. My car can be in Comfort mode in town and I merge on to the freeway at 90 mph, the steering gets stiffer and the suspension does as well. Whether it changes itself to sport mode, I don't know, but it gets stiffer.
edit: from the M240i website

"Adaptive M suspension.

The low-set Adaptive M suspension with variable damper control allows the driver to choose between comfortable or dynamic suspension settings.

The Adaptive M suspension is set ten millimetres lower, further increasing the vehicle's full dynamic potential. The driver can adjust the driving characteristics via the Driving Experience Control to enable whichever driving style is most appealing at the time – from comfortable to extremely athletic. Whichever setting is chosen, the Adaptive M suspension's electrically controlled dampers calibrate to suit the road conditions within fractions of a second. The system also uses numerous sensors that measure wheel vibrations, as well as vehicle speed, in order to achieve optimal damping and vehicle safety."

Last edited by AlpsRider; 09-04-2016 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #104
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I think it is unlikely to make much difference on the highway, where speeds are relatively constant, unless you engage in "hypermiling". There will be some reduction of cabin heating and cooling, though. I think the best way to get good highway mileage is to limit your cruising speed.
I noticed today that Eco-Pro mode on the highway will also take longer to resume the cruise control speed if you have to brake for traffic. Seems to apply throttle more slowly than Comfort mode.
      09-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #105
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
You don't mention the Track Package as part of your car's equipment. Without that, don't you have the non-adjustable 704 suspension option that is part of the M-Sport package? If so, your car's suspension setting isn't changed by switching between Comfort and Sport or Sport+.
Starting with the 2016 model year (or was it 2015, I cant remember), even without Track Handling Package, it still makes a minor adjustment to the suspension. Just a little bit stiffer. Though, nowhere near as noticeable as when you have THP.
      09-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #106
SLSMan100
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 m240i Cab

Only had the car just over a month - 228 x drive w/adaptive. Lately using Sport set to chassis only as I like the heavier steering feel (coming from 3 series and 1 series 1995-2013) and only need the aggressive throttle and shifting occasionally as a daily driver. I'm on the highway 2 hours per day on average and Eco Pro is more encouraging of conservative acceleration, anticipatory braking and of course benefit with coasting. Driving economically is not just about the car, it's about your approach to these variables. Still experimenting (that's why I'm interested in this thread!).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #107
Sinkhole
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xDrive Convertible

I've had my car for 3 days and can't seem to keep it out of Sport. The wife has been driving in comfort mode. I haven't gotten a chance to try Sport+ and give it a real flogging yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 03:42 PM   #108
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have to disagree with you there. My car can be in Comfort mode in town and I merge on to the freeway at 90 mph, the steering gets stiffer and the suspension does as well. Whether it changes itself to sport mode, I don't know, but it gets stiffer.

"Adaptive M suspension.

The low-set Adaptive M suspension with variable damper control allows the driver to choose between comfortable or dynamic suspension settings.

The Adaptive M suspension is set ten millimetres lower, further increasing the vehicle's full dynamic potential. The driver can adjust the driving characteristics via the Driving Experience Control to enable whichever driving style is most appealing at the time – from comfortable to extremely athletic. Whichever setting is chosen, the Adaptive M suspension's electrically controlled dampers calibrate to suit the road conditions within fractions of a second. The system also uses numerous sensors that measure wheel vibrations, as well as vehicle speed, in order to achieve optimal damping and vehicle safety."
This language is cleverly ambiguous and could literally describe a passive system that is electrically switched between two shock absorber settings, which is what I believe it actually is.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 08:34 PM   #109
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy
Quote:

"Adaptive M suspension.

This language is cleverly ambiguous and could literally describe a passive system that is electrically switched between two shock absorber settings, which is what I believe it actually is.
The suspension when in comfort mode gets stiffer by itself when going over bumps or rough terrain without having to change any mode

It's documented in a few places

"Adaptive Drive adjusts the suspension settings to suit the character of the road surface. Each axle has its own independent motor that can adjust the dampers on each individual wheel. When the road surface under one side of the vehicle differs in character from that on the other side - such as when driving on roads with gravel shoulders - Adaptive Drive instantly adjusts the suspension settings of the wheels on one side to practically eliminate any perceptible unevenness in the road. In addition, you can choose between a more comfortable default setting for the suspension, or a more sporting setting."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #110
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
The suspension when in comfort mode gets stiffer by itself when going over bumps or rough terrain without having to change any mode

It's documented in a few places

"Adaptive Drive adjusts the suspension settings to suit the character of the road surface. Each axle has its own independent motor that can adjust the dampers on each individual wheel. When the road surface under one side of the vehicle differs in character from that on the other side - such as when driving on roads with gravel shoulders - Adaptive Drive instantly adjusts the suspension settings of the wheels on one side to practically eliminate any perceptible unevenness in the road. In addition, you can choose between a more comfortable default setting for the suspension, or a more sporting setting."
I've seen that language and studied it. I think what it tells you is that one a wheel goes over a bump, the spring compresses and the shock absorber piston moves. I would add that the wheel also revolves, providing an automatic, controlled recovery from the deflection. (The reference to the axle motor describes the two-state shock adjusters.)

But before we get too far into this debate, I'd just point out that the 2-series has Adaptive M Suspension, not Adaptive Drive. According to BMWUSA, Adaptive Drive is the guts of the $3,500 Dynamic Handling Package on the 5-series, consisting of Active Roll Stabilization and Dynamic Damping Controls.

Last edited by raleedy; 09-04-2016 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0