THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M sport interior for ED?

09-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #1
H2887
Private
Rep
Drives: M235I/ 01 z3mrdstr

M sport interior for ED?

Has anyone tried to order the M sport interior( cloth/ alcantera) on a m235 for ED? I have a nov 21 delivery and would like this option.its available in Europe but not in the US .but it's just a push of a button on the assembly line.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Don't think we get the cloth option either in the UK so I'm surprised the rest of Europe get it
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

This is my thread:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971586

Please try and try. Be forceful, I think they can do it if you push it because it is simply the base Msport interior in Europe.

I am still on the fence on the 235i and part of it is that I want this interior too. Let us know how it goes but my sense is that the store managers can talk to the regional rep and you might be able to get it!

Let us know how it goes please!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

ED is a US spec car. You cannot get non-US spec options. ED cars are built like cars for stateside delivery. Don't get confused. You're just picking up what would be a stateside delivery car, in Europe before they ship it here with all the normal cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
ED is a US spec car. You cannot get non-US spec options. ED cars are built like cars for stateside delivery. Don't get confused. You're just picking up what would be a stateside delivery car, in Europe before they ship it here with all the normal cars.
with that said I know someone personally who got cloth interior option in his e46 325iT so it can be done. That was 10 years ago and BMW keeps moving away from the enthusiast... but I agree with nachob and push push push.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
with that said I know someone personally who got cloth interior option in his e46 325iT so it can be done. That was 10 years ago and BMW keeps moving away from the enthusiast... but I agree with nachob and push push push.
The prior example of another vehicle program is not relevant. The way vehicle manufacturers function, the design engineer creates the part, the releasing engineer is responsible for the Bill of Material which defines in minute detail every part which is released to the program. The Product Plan then allocates the parts into models, trim levels, packages, etc, to develop a coherent ordering system, as well as broadcast system for the suppliers to send materials (usually just-in-time and in-sequence) to the assembly plant. The product plan also drives the price file which generates the Monroney label and invoice.

If a part is not released to a program, or via the product plan, is not part of a overall model build configuration, it cannot be broadcast to the supply base and the plant cannot build it. A proper Monroney and invoice, which must match the product, cannot be generated, also preventing the build. If an error occurred with a non-released part being installed, the Quality Audit would pull that unit aside for corrective action.

So, unless an interior engineer for the F22 program releases the cloth trim set to the US build for the desired model, and the Product Planner changes the plan to include that sales code as an option, the unit is not buildable at Leipzig. This involves much more than a "button".

Yes, I worked for a car company (not BMW) for 25 years before retiring.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The prior example of another vehicle program is not relevant. The way vehicle manufacturers function, the design engineer creates the part, the releasing engineer is responsible for the Bill of Material which defines in minute detail every part which is released to the program. The Product Plan then allocates the parts into models, trim levels, packages, etc, to develop a coherent ordering system, as well as broadcast system for the suppliers to send materials (usually just-in-time and in-sequence) to the assembly plant. The product plan also drives the price file which generates the Monroney label and invoice.

If a part is not released to a program, or via the product plan, is not part of a overall model build configuration, it cannot be broadcast to the supply base and the plant cannot build it. A proper Monroney and invoice, which must match the product, cannot be generated, also preventing the build. If an error occurred with a non-released part being installed, the Quality Audit would pull that unit aside for corrective action.

So, unless an interior engineer for the F22 program releases the cloth trim set to the US build for the desired model, and the Product Planner changes the plan to include that sales code as an option, the unit is not buildable at Leipzig. This involves much more than a "button".

so you work for BMW AG or NA? US spec e46 was never available with cloth interior in the US yet my buddy was able to get it, seems relevant to me. And as I mentioned in my comment that was 10 years ago and things might have changed so not promising anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
so you work for BMW AG or NA? US spec e46 was never available with cloth interior in the US yet my buddy was able to get it, seems relevant to me. And as I mentioned in my comment that was 10 years ago and things might have changed so not promising anything.
No...different company, but these systems and practices have been adopted world-wide in recent history. If he was able to get it, one of a couple of conditions existed.

1) BMW was less automated than companies are today. Lots of this systems management technology advanced in the last decade.

2) Cloth was an internally released condition, even if not in the public materials, allowing the plant to accept and build the order.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

If enough people contact BMW USA they will consider it. That is what they told me. The encouraged me to get people to contact them and ask for it. BMW said only three colors for 1M but last few ones made were differnt colors including java green after they told us LeipZig wasn't equipped for it. It is incredible lame that they offer USA vinyl over this interior! It is basically no differnt than leather except that they kill plastic cows. Please contact BMW and ask for it. I already have!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

Ah an engineering answer true to my heart.

Even the "individual" BMW options are just extended options as part of the BOM at a higher cost.

You could join the Army, become an Expat, buy a German spec car and have it shipped state side?

In the spirit of nothing being impossible with the right amount of money:

You could find out what the part number is for the Alcantara seat covers and see if there's any way to get someone state side to order them, or order them internationally and have them shipped. But then you'd also be doing the door panels, rear seats, headrests, and possibly some other parts I'm not thinking of, which seems like a lot of effort and money for going to cloth from leather/Sensatec.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&hg=52&fg=10 - Listed here as Alcantara/Hex but not shown as order able?

Optionally if you prefer the hardcore stickiness of cloth, go and buy a beautiful set of Recaro thrones and some proper harnesses at 1/8th the price and then keep the stock seats pristine for when you go to sell the car later on.
      09-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #11
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
If enough people contact BMW USA they will consider it. That is what they told me. The encouraged me to get people to contact them and ask for it. BMW said only three colors for 1M but last few ones made were differnt colors including java green after they told us LeipZig wasn't equipped for it. It is incredible lame that they offer USA vinyl over this interior! It is basically no differnt than leather except that they kill plastic cows. Please contact BMW and ask for it. I already have!
This kind of change generated from user demand would not be immediate. They would see the demand and at best issue the change upon the new MY, but I really don't see them doing this as a one-off, and certainly not because the car is ED. That was my main point. ED is not a European car. It's completely US Spec.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
This kind of change generated from user demand would not be immediate. They would see the demand and at best issue the change upon the new MY, but I really don't see them doing this as a one-off, and certainly not because the car is ED. That was my main point. ED is not a European car. It's completely US Spec.
Yes ED won't be the reason but I spoke to a GM at a large dealership and he told me it's not unheard of that they will configure a car differently in some cases but it takes someone pushing it past the salesman. Yes change won't be immediate but you never know! It's not a hard change for them because we simply are asking for the base msport interior on left hand drive cars nothing new. To not even try will guarantee nothing will change. I think it's worth a try! What is wrong with trying? Did Jonas Salk quit trying to find a polio vaccine because it might not happen? You can't win if you don't try!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes ED won't be the reason but I spoke to a GM at a large dealership and he told me it's not unheard of that they will configure a car differently in some cases but it takes someone pushing it past the salesman. Yes change won't be immediate but you never know! It's not a hard change for them because we simply are asking for the base msport interior on left hand drive cars nothing new. To not even try will guarantee nothing will change. I think it's worth a try! What is wrong with trying? Did Jonas Salk quit trying to find a polio vaccine because it might not happen? You can't win if you don't try!
I hear you. But I also understand the reality is Sensatec and Leather are options which have a fixed dollar value as options which affect the MSRP of the vehicle for new sales, resale and insurance purposes. How can the car manufacturer deal with these changes when no price point has been set for an option in the US? They won't just pull a number out of a hat and they can't take the equivalent price using a Euro to USD conversion based on the price on a German spec car. What shows up on the sticker?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

M Sport Int.

I think US warranty claims are the cause. A LOT of E46 ZHP cars had seat and steering wheel exchanges under warranty. As much as Scott26 says "Americans ONLY like leather" ( I have posed this question several times) I really think the decision is based on wear and warranty claims of past cars.

I have thought about setting up an interior swap or buying used while I'm over on the ED. It's a necessity for me and BMW's. Sensatec or Leather will prevent me from getting a 2er. Unless a Recaro CS swap can be done.

I know its easier said than done, according to the Manufacturing Engineer's previous posts, but it would be great to have it as a Priority 1 option with the understanding that the seating surface has no replacement warranty. I'd still get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

There is a complete 2 series Alcantara interior on Ebay.de. NON Power seats etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
The "Individual" BMW 1er M Coupe were sanctioned by the company because they were the final models to go to production , since US production had already stopped there were spaces to do something special for the final cars.
But initial Individual orders during production for some customers internal and a few external, involved a lot of logistics and therefore reflected in the cost. That it was not feasible to do on a regular basis.
      09-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #17
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It's interesting. There are some changes I don't like on the 235i and some I do. I don't like the extra weight and iDrive screen. I like the look, seats and throttle response. When I have mentioned the dislikes, I have been told that I have to love "change." I have to embrace change whether I think it's good or bad change....if BMW does it, it is all good change and I have to swish it around my mouth, take in the aroma and savour the change and gasp in ecstacy as change goes down.

So now that I am trying to effect "change" and I ask where are all the "Change-is-always-great people? Is change only good when BMW imposes change on you and bad if the customer wants change?

C'mon change lovers...you guys beat people over the head with your love change stuff, here is some change we can take as a community. You write on this forum reasons not even try to change and the same two minutes you spent typing the reasons not to try, could've been used writing BMW USA and asking them to change their perspective of Americans as not sports-car saavy enough to get the Euro Alcantara interior!

Rise up addicts!!! You love change so much, then help me make some!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

And ideal M235 for me would be if they made the LSD a factory option and priced it competitively, i.e not $3k+, and made the cloth/alcantara a option for the states.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Rise up addicts!!! You love change so much, then help me make some!
I got two fives for a ten???

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And ideal M235 for me would be if they made the LSD a factory option and priced it competitively, i.e not $3k+, and made the cloth/alcantara a option for the states.
That's my tipping point. If the LSD was an option and alcantara option there, I would order one today and deal with the screen!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

When I bought my car there was a special order $ so I special ordered VO to have it rejected by the factory...what options actually qualifies as a special order?

Yes I understand the limits of changing a preprogrammed build but I have to say the M235i is optioned, built and volume forecasted like a limited production car...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #22
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2+3=5 View Post
When I bought my car there was a special order $ so I special ordered VO to have it rejected by the factory...what options actually qualifies as a special order?

Yes I understand the limits of changing a preprogrammed build but I have to say the M235i is optioned, built and volume forecasted like a limited production car...
Fascias are painted at the supplier, not the plant. So a supplier must have successfully completed a color harmony and UV testing program which is not quick. If VO wasn't already approved for the M235 with its unique front and rear fascias due to fascia count in the plant (big parts take up lots of space on the line), it's won't be available until several steps are taken by the Design Office and Body Engineering, and Manufacturing has to figure out how to make space on the operator display area unless it replaces another released color.
Appreciate 0