THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery No More Port Installed Accessories on ED?

08-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
ksh937
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

No More Port Installed Accessories on ED?

I was just told this, but wanted to confirm with folks who have taken ED recently. I was told this change was just implemented in the last month. Can anyone confirm?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
This is correct, sadly.
      08-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Yeah...

I'd be all over a port installed LSD if I could...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

I just came from my local dealer yesterday and they told me they are still port installed accessories on custom orders or ED.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizon View Post
I just came from my local dealer yesterday and they told me they are still port installed accessories on custom orders or ED.
Huh?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OP was asking about no more port installed accessories but I was told by my dealer that they are still allowing accessories to be installed at port.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #7
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raizon View Post
OP was asking about no more port installed accessories but I was told by my dealer that they are still allowing accessories to be installed at port.
Yeah your wording is what is throwing me off. "Still allowing"... Not sure if you mean that they HAVE been allowing port installed accessories on Euro Delivery orders all this time, which is incorrect, as many of us here have confirmed. "Still" would imply this... if what you meant to say is that they have changed their policy and are NOW allowing PIA on ED orders, then that would be good to know, as I have not heard this to be the case, but the issue has not been touched on recently until your conversation with your CA...

If your CA believes PIAs have been allowed for ED orders for the past year, then he is mistaken. Dealer installed accessories are not the same as port installed, they are priced differently and are not even part of the Monroney sticker. They are the equivalent of the dealership dipping the stock rims in chrome. They may not carry the same warranty as the car, unlike factory or port installed options which will be warrantied with the factory warranty.

Last edited by hyperzulu; 09-08-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #8
Raizon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hmm...maybe I'll call and confirm but he told me I would finish the ED trip and when the car arrives on port, they would install the accessories I order at port. I know this is what he said because I asked him this question specifically. I'll check again.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #9
ksh937
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Now I'm confused, but let me re-word my original post and try again.

I have placed an order for an M235xi for European Delivery. I wanted to add the Black Kidney Grills to it, but I was told that this is not possible since I am taking European Delivery. I posted on the forums bc/ I wanted to confirm that this is correct.

Additionally, although not as important, I was told that until recently, you could add the Black Kidney Grills as an option even if you did European Delivery.

Anyway, I guess I can always order them and have someone install them. Do you guys know if the PCD will install them for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Yeah your wording is what is throwing me off. "Still allowing"... Not sure if you mean that they HAVE been allowing port installed accessories on Euro Delivery orders all this time, which is incorrect, as many of us here have confirmed. "Still" would imply this... if what you meant to say is that they have changed their policy and are NOW allowing PIA on ED orders, then that would be good to know, as I have not heard this to be the case, but the issue has not been touched on recently until your conversation with your CA...

If your CA believes PIAs have been allowed for ED orders for the past year, then he is mistaken. Dealer installed accessories are not the same as port installed, they are priced differently and are not even part of the Monroney sticker. They are the equivalent of the dealership dipping the stock rims in chrome. They may not carry the same warranty as the car, unlike factory or port installed options which will be warrantied with the factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

PCD becomes your "dealership", so yeah... they will do the dealer installed accessories.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #11
ksh937
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I called and asked and they said no, they can't install them. Did I talk to the wrong person or was he misinformed? Has anyone had experience with the PCD installing accessories for them?

Quote:
PCD becomes your "dealership", so yeah... they will do the dealer installed accessories.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh937 View Post
So I called and asked and they said no, they can't install them. Did I talk to the wrong person or was he misinformed? Has anyone had experience with the PCD installing accessories for them?
I might have been confused. I saw others who did just PCD and had port installed options. Not dealer installed options. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
ksh937
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yeah, my dealer told me it's a very recent change. Like, within the last month. :-(

YOLO, still getting the Black Kidney Grills :-)

Quote:
I might have been confused. I saw others who did just PCD and had port installed options. Not dealer installed options. My bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

whats the benefit of port install exactly? most of the installs are so easy, can't you just do it yourself?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Depends. If you're keeping the car forever, it may be a wash. As far as I know, port installed accessories show up on the sticker and will show up upon a VIN search as if it came from the factory that way. Dealer installed accessories are just tack-ons. If you are leasing on the other hand, you pay full price but can maybe sell the parts off if you do dealer installed. If you'd rather not deal with all that, you can get those port installed parts added to the car and thus used for residual value. You don't get to keep the parts though, but you're only paying around 60% of the price of the part while you own the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #16
ksh937
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I can barely change a car battery so I would no idea how to self install.

I realize it's a silly use of $200 (parts) + ~$100 (labor) for a 3 year lease, but they look so freaking cool!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #17
dave235
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i on order

I actually just did my kidney grills this morning. Took about 20mins. It's really simple but I have small hands which made it easier. I also got my kidney grills from sun Motorsport for $96 so it was more attractive than port installed or dealer.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #18
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
Picked up my car from the performance center yesterday. All the PIA parts I tried to get installed but was told I couldn't get because of doing ED were actually installed... And I didn't pay for them and they aren't on my window sticker like others. Quite dumbfounded and thrilled that they would screw up like that in my favor LOL. One happy customer here haha.

Guessing that they somehow remained on the Purchase Order after being removed from the build and just got installed at port somehow.
Hope you checked every box! Lol
Appreciate 0