THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Your opinions on the M Performance shift knob?

12-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Your opinions on the M Performance shift knob?

I have done quite a bit of research regarding the M Performance shift knob/boot available for the M235/240 and 3 series. The opinions and information seems to be all over the place on the forums. I've been driving manuals for over two decades and I find the manual in the M235, though smooth and great feeling for the most part, to be the most difficult to shift quickly, especially the 1-2 shift. The issue seems to be with both the slightly long throw of the OEM shifter and the LONG throw of the clutch pedal. Timing a quick shift is difficult. Perhaps it's intentional on BMW's part to extend syncro life.

I know the Ultimate Clutch Pedal can somewhat address some of the clutch pedal throw and I have 3/16" thick homemade $0.10 clutch stop in place. I'm wavering on the UCP only because the install looks to be biatch and what BMW would say if I had tranny/clutch/flywheel issues in the future.

I like the OEM shift knob feel, though I wouldn't mind a little less throw and possibly a little more weight. I do know that the M Performance shift knob is about 0.5" shorter than stock thus the shift throw distance is reduced a bit and mechanical leverage reduced therefore a little more effort is needed for shifting. From what I've read, it appears that the M Performance shift knob is a few ounces heavier than the OEM knob, but that it's also smaller overall.

Can those that have the M Performance shift knob post up your opinions? Some people seem to love it and others went back to stock. Some say the shifting feel more direct and with a heavier weight and others say it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You might be well served to post in your regional forum and ask if anyone with the shift knob would let you go for a short supervised test drive so you can compare for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

I would, but I live in Kansas City and no one buys manual BMWs anymore, especially in KC. My dealer rep about fell out of his chair when I said I wanted a loaded M235 with a 6MT and minus a moonroof and nav. When it showed up, I had three reps come and say they didn't know the 2 series came in a manual. LOL
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      12-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
I would, but I live in Kansas City and no one buys manual BMWs anymore, especially in KC. My dealer rep about fell out of his chair when I said I wanted a loaded M235 with a 6MT and minus a moonroof and nav. When it showed up, I had three reps come and say they didn't know the 2 series came in a manual. LOL
Ha ok point taken. I'm sure you could try it out and if you're not pleased sell it and not lose too much.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
1LegitM235i
1L
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Glacier Silver M235i

I really love mine. I've done some comparison check with my son's 330i ZHP and definitely prefer mine. IMO, a shorter throw is better for me than a weighted one and that's what you get from the ZHP. The throw is a bit longer on it over M-P. From what I hear, the ZHP shift knob is what the majority of manual drivers prefer. I've never driven a regular M235i shift knob though, so I can't comment how it compares. I would recommend to you though, trying a better way of shifting. I shift through the use of my fingers and not as a whole hand. I think it's faster that way for me. Again, this is all relative to the individual driver, so give it a try.
MP Front Splitter//MP CF Short Shifter//MP CF E-brake//MP LSD//Cold Weather package//Driver Assistance package//Oyster Dakota leather//Aluminum Hexagon trim//ECS Tuning Wheel Spacers//AutoPlus Rear Diffuser//HUD//Rexing DashCam//AutoID M Mirror Caps
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Im glad you posted this. I have the Mperf shift knob and have always thought it felt lighter than stock. I never weighed the knob but definitely think i could use a heavier knob. I also shift with my fingers, it seems I can feel notches and solid engagement better than shifting with my palm. I am thinking about modifying the m perf boot to adapt to a heavier knob. Overall i like the current knob design but think it could be heavier.

Has anyone separated the boot from the knob and how did it work out..?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:08 PM   #7
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

?!?!?

We had a thread recently where hundreds of people responded and nearly 50% had purchased MT vs Auto in the 2 series

Reps are clueless
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet
I have done quite a bit of research regarding the M Performance shift knob/boot available for the M235/240 and 3 series. The opinions and information seems to be all over the place on the forums. I've been driving manuals for over two decades and I find the manual in the M235, though smooth and great feeling for the most part, to be the most difficult to shift quickly, especially the 1-2 shift. The issue seems to be with both the slightly long throw of the OEM shifter and the LONG throw of the clutch pedal. Timing a quick shift is difficult. Perhaps it's intentional on BMW's part to extend syncro life.

I know the Ultimate Clutch Pedal can somewhat address some of the clutch pedal throw and I have 3/16" thick homemade $0.10 clutch stop in place. I'm wavering on the UCP only because the install looks to be biatch and what BMW would say if I had tranny/clutch/flywheel issues in the future.

I like the OEM shift knob feel, though I wouldn't mind a little less throw and possibly a little more weight. I do know that the M Performance shift knob is about 0.5" shorter than stock thus the shift throw distance is reduced a bit and mechanical leverage reduced therefore a little more effort is needed for shifting. From what I've read, it appears that the M Performance shift knob is a few ounces heavier than the OEM knob, but that it's also smaller overall.

Can those that have the M Performance shift knob post up your opinions? Some people seem to love it and others went back to stock. Some say the shifting feel more direct and with a heavier weight and others say it doesn't.
Have you looked at the BMS clutch bump stop? It's like $10 and is an easy install. It resolved my clutch travel issues.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
wanofakind01
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW M2 6MT, '16 BMW X1

i changed from stock m to m performance shifter based on how much i loved the m performance shifter in my e93 when i made the swap, the extra weight definitely made a difference. however, on the m235, i actually feel the m shifter is lighter as well. immediately felt some of the magic disappear on the first shift.

at this point, i honestly think i just kept it for cosmetic purposes since it matches my carbon fiber trim. wouldnt mind some more weight.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
wakemcs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
Im glad you posted this. I have the Mperf shift knob and have always thought it felt lighter than stock. I never weighed the knob but definitely think i could use a heavier knob. I also shift with my fingers, it seems I can feel notches and solid engagement better than shifting with my palm. I am thinking about modifying the m perf boot to adapt to a heavier knob. Overall i like the current knob design but think it could be heavier.

I purchased the M Performance knob and wasn't satisfied with the weight and feel so I adapted the M Performance boot to the factory knob, which I had wrapped in black Alcantara to match. Definitely the way to go if you ask me...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
icin235100.00
      12-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #11
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemcs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post

I purchased the M Performance knob and wasn't satisfied with the weight and feel so I adapted the M Performance boot to the factory knob, which I had wrapped in black Alcantara to match. Definitely the way to go if you ask me...
That looks great... how did you modify the m performance boot to fit the stock knob..?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 10:40 PM   #12
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

I'll update this thread with my opinions on Sunday as I have the shift knob arriving on Saturday. I plan to weigh both.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

OK, I received the MP shift knob yesterday. Like others, I was a bit surprised by how small in diameter the MP shift knob was. Everything appeared to be of high quality, but I was worried about how everything would feel given the size and my larger than average hands (I'm 6' 2").

I installed the shifter and it was terribly easy. Along with the boot, it looks perfect with my Coral Red and aluminum trim with the silver boot stitching, matching the trim color perfectly.

To my amazement, the MP shifter size actually fit perfectly into my hand and felt great. I wouldn't mind a little more girth but it is what it is The shifter was a bit lower since the knob is shorter. The throws are around 20% shorter and gearbox feel also had a quite a more directness. This is exactly what I was looking for. I never felt that this gearbox was indirect or rubbery like others say, it just felt a bit more isolated with the larger stock ZHP knob and the 1-2 shift always felt a bit long and slowed me down.

I went out for a drive and the everything felt great. With previous cars, lowering the shift knob tended to increase notchiness, shift effort, and vibration. That is not the case here. I feels great and direct. Almost like a stock S2000 shifter (90% of that feel). I can bang the gears with quite a bit more speed and was able to get 2nd scratches quite easily and bang 3rd. On hard driving, I do with the 1-2 shift holding the shifter pistol grip style, the 2-3 with my palm open and directly behind the shifter, and the 3-4 with my hand inverted (thumb down) and palm around the front of the shifter. The shifter glides into the gears. It's great. During normal driving, I can basically shift with my fingers and some wrist action. When shifting my forearm also rests a bit lower which is more comfortable.

On to the comparison of the MP knob vs the ZHP knob. Using a scale and digital calipers.

MP knob with boot = 7.5 oz
ZHP knob with boot = 8.0 oz

Yes, the ZHP knob assembly is fractionally heavier, however I think the weight difference is coming from the heavier leather booth. When holding the knobs in your hand, you tell easily that the MP knob is both heavier and weighted towards the top of the assembly. I was surprised to see that the OEM shift boot was real leather.

MP knob size: 1.62" diameter (perfectly circle), 2.77" tall

ZHP knob size: 1.86" wide, 2.19" long, 3.06" tall

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-01-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
kunzjob40.00
Poochie9104.50
      02-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #14
kunzjob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harley Davidson

^ now that's an AWESOME post and exactly what I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

I still love it.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
sekirain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Just got mine yesterday! I love it.
My hands are small so it fits nicer. And the metallic/mechanical feel is good.

The differences in height is negligible. Shorter shift my ass (no diff in shift speed).

It does have a heavier shift feel I believe.

The second pic is the old shifter.
Attached Images

04-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #17
sekirain
Enlisted Member
Rep

One more
Attached Images

04-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #18
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekirain View Post
One more
How was the install? Did it come with adequate directions?

I would hope the shifts are faster like XUTVJET found. Or is just a better feel?
Or is it just cosmetic?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 10:06 PM   #19
jase2addict
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp

Its my favorite mod. The shifts feel shorter and tighter. As for instructions, I put it in neutral and pulled really hard. Then just place the new knob on and snap in the attached boot.
Appreciate 1
M2wolf182.50
      04-06-2017, 10:14 PM   #20
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Great mod. Looks and feels better!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #21
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

It's only a .3 in. shorter knob and an alcantara boot in the kit? How can that effect the shifting feel? I would think at least a new lever would be needed for that .

Last edited by Tpeterson; 04-07-2017 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #22
sekirain
Enlisted Member
Rep

The install is easy. You just pull it hard. Watch some YouTube videos. Just make sure you don't hit your head.

And it does not feel like a shorter throw. It does feel better and tighter. Definitely definitely not a shorter throw.