THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Selling Opinion/Advice

01-10-2024, 06:19 PM   #1
DeeJay520
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 6SP

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
Selling Opinion/Advice

I have a 2015 M235 RWD 6SP that I bought a couple of years ago as a hobby.

When I bought the car it was a garage kept, higher milage (98,000) stock car in nearly perfect condition purchased from a middle age dude like myself.

When I bought the car I had dreams of doing track days, so I paid a reputable shop in Atlanta to install all the VRSF bolt ons, including a FMIC, Catless down pipe and charge pipe. In addition I installed a BMS cold air intake. I never got around do doing any track days, so the car has not been tracked. I do have the original down pipe, and original air filter that I would include with the sale.

I have the original wheels that are in good shape that will be included along with the wheels currently on the car. There are a total of 8 tire pressor monitor sensors one for each wheel.

I work in New York City and don't use the car for commuting. It stays parked most of the time. I have had the car two years and have added about 18,000 miles, for a total of about about 114,000 miles.

My biggest question is this....does anyone have experience with selling a modified car as I have described? I can either sell it as is with an MHD tune and catless down pipe in place, or I could return the catted down pipe, tune back to stock and sell it unmodified. I mean I don't think it would make since to put the old FMIC and charge pipe back in place, but just return the cat.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:47 PM   #2
mattc1176
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240i

As a guy that knows very little about mods and has never been to a track, I wouldn't even look at a car with those type of mods. It just screams to me 'this guy beat the hell out of this car'. Even though apparently you didn't. haha I'm sure there's a group out there that would be totally into it, but I'm guessing there's more of me. So just from my point of view you would be excluding a pool of buyers by leaving them on.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 07:52 PM   #3
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Generally speaking un-modded cars are going to be worth more, unless you have something exceptionally unique and high end, which is not this.

Additionally, educated buyers will be looking for evidence of mods even if there are none obvious, and people with modded cars who insist they have never been hooned on certainly wont be taken seriously, whether it is true or not.

GLWS
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 08:02 PM   #4
DeeJay520
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
Generally speaking un-modded cars are going to be worth more, unless you have something exceptionally unique and high end, which is not this.

Additionally, educated buyers will be looking for evidence of mods even if there are none obvious, and people with modded cars who insist they have never been hooned on certainly wont be taken seriously, whether it is true or not.

GLWS
That is kinda what I thought. I mean when I was looking, I wasn't interested in anything with mods because anyone who mods a car is likely to have "hooned" on it, though I don't think I have heard that word, I can contextualize what you mean.

I didn't, because I am old and don't want a ticket or a crash, but I don't expect anyone to believe me. :-). I mean I will do a WOT from 0 - 45 from a red light with the traction control on now and then.

Last edited by DeeJay520; 01-10-2024 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 08:14 PM   #5
DeeJay520
Rep

Garage List
2015 M235  [0.00]
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc1176 View Post
As a guy that knows very little about mods and has never been to a track, I wouldn't even look at a car with those type of mods. It just screams to me 'this guy beat the hell out of this car'. Even though apparently you didn't. haha I'm sure there's a group out there that would be totally into it, but I'm guessing there's more of me. So just from my point of view you would be excluding a pool of buyers by leaving them on.
Thanks for your input and yes, I think you are correct. That is a reasonable assumption people will and should make :-). I am an exception, but I can't expect anyone to believe that.

I didn't know anything about mods either. It was During the pandemic I wasn't working much, and I started reading about the N55, and the modification and such, so I bought the car, but not being a mechanic or living where I could do my own "wrenching", I looked up the most reputable shop in Atlanta, took him the car, and likely paid way to much to have them install the mods.

I thought I was going to build this great track car and have a new hobby, but before I could do all of that, work picked back up and it turned into something I I drive every other weekend or so.

I rented a BMW 840 for a week on my last trip, and I have decided I am to old for all of this modification stuff and I LOVED the ZF8 automatic. Torque Convert transmissions have come a long way!

I just want a B58 with a ZF8. It's more than enough for me. Likely a M340.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2024, 11:47 PM   #6
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay520 View Post
Thanks for your input and yes, I think you are correct. That is a reasonable assumption people will and should make :-). I am an exception, but I can't expect anyone to believe that.

I didn't know anything about mods either. It was During the pandemic I wasn't working much, and I started reading about the N55, and the modification and such, so I bought the car, but not being a mechanic or living where I could do my own "wrenching", I looked up the most reputable shop in Atlanta, took him the car, and likely paid way to much to have them install the mods.

I thought I was going to build this great track car and have a new hobby, but before I could do all of that, work picked back up and it turned into something I I drive every other weekend or so.

I rented a BMW 840 for a week on my last trip, and I have decided I am to old for all of this modification stuff and I LOVED the ZF8 automatic. Torque Convert transmissions have come a long way!

I just want a B58 with a ZF8. It's more than enough for me. Likely a M340.
By now, this is a very high mileage car and mostly 10 YO. Removing everything to convert to stock will also cost you money. You have to question if it's really worth the expense.

As some other posters said, mods mostly mean abuse in the mind of potential buyers and further investment to fix problems. How many owners this car went through before you got it at already high mileage and what's the overall mechanical condition? At close to 115K, the N55 engine may be close of needing a complete engine overhaul.

My personal opinion is just try to sell the way it is but don't expect much.

As for the B58 engine, I am the first owner and the car is meticulously serviced. It has been absolutely flawless at now 52K..... oil changes at 6-7K, regular OEM filters replacement, a recent OEM spark plugs and brake flush service.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2024, 12:13 PM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
At close to 115K, the N55 engine may be close of needing a complete engine overhaul.
115K ain't nothing on these cars. Mechanically they are solid assuming you maintain them and address issues immediately after they appear.

A stock car will be worth a good bit more plus you can sell your old parts.

Buy some ramps or a good jack and jack stands, and remove the old parts yourself and reinstall the stock parts. It is not rocket science and doesn't take any special tools and there are tons of videos online on how to do the work.

I'd leave the charge pipe alone and just tell the buyer it's a worthy upgrade.
      01-11-2024, 12:32 PM   #8
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay520 View Post
That is kinda what I thought. I mean when I was looking, I wasn't interested in anything with mods because anyone who mods a car is likely to have "hooned" on it, though I don't think I have heard that word, I can contextualize what you mean.

I didn't, because I am old and don't want a ticket or a crash, but I don't expect anyone to believe me. :-). I mean I will do a WOT from 0 - 45 from a red light with the traction control on now and then.
https://www.thedrive.com/guides-and-...s-hooning-mean
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 05:20 AM   #9
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Most people will not want this car due to RWD and 6speed so you may only get about 1 offer. Detail it and leave the mods in place. Load the old parts in the trunk. You're ready to move on.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2024, 08:47 AM   #10
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

If you can find a buyer on this forum then you are more likely to work with someone that understands the mods and might see the value of having them on the car. You won't get more money because of the mods but someone from the forums would be more likely to work with you.

To get in front of a larger potential buyers market you would convert the car back to stock then put it up for sale on places like FB marketplace, Autotrader, etc.
      01-18-2024, 02:22 PM   #11
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Most who know... In the know, aren't interested in modded cars because you have no idea how it was driven, or taken care of. So word to the wise, return it to stock, and have a 200pt check done and recorded at a BMW dealer. With that mileage there are definitely going to be things "suggested" by the dealer to have done. If you have service records showing that work done, you're good. The double edge sword to use that report showing car is ok, would be to do anything they say needs to be done. Also, could send your oil out to Blackstone Labs and get a report on oil/engine (wear).

Other than that, it's just a roll of the dice... You sell it "As Is" and tell any potential buyer what you know and see how it goes. "As Is" means exactly that... And is usually the way it's done in private sales. You could go to a dealer, new or used, and trade it in if you don't think you'll get more in a private sale than what a dealer will give you. Sometimes, the best way to reclaim some residual value...

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:42 AM   #12
Jim90046
Jim90046
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible/2019 23

Garage List
OP, I'll tell you this. I've driven BMWs for 25 years. I don't know how it is where you live, but I live in Los Angeles CA. Trying to sell a used BMW is really tough. People want it, but they don't want to pay bluebook. When many used BMWs are worth the amount of a new Honda that seems to be the mindset. I've told a few in my day to go buy a Honda then.

I have kept all my BMWs in perfect condition. My current BMW is a 2019 230i convertible. I absolutely love this car. I have had Ms, 135s and a few 3 series. Tired of trying to sell my BMWs and eventually taking low bluebook because I was tired of haggling I started leasing. The only reason I purchased my current ride is BMWs decision to stop production of the convertible otherwise I would be in a new one.Test drive the new 4, and it wasn't for me. So again I wish you luck as it can be frustrating trying to sell and get what you want or even what your BMW is truly worth.
Appreciate 0