THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos MG 2017 M240i DIY Detail

10-09-2016, 09:09 PM   #1
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (Sold)

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
MG 2017 M240i DIY Detail

Some shots after this weekend's detailing. Just iPhone 6S, untouched pics. I've been using Chemical Guys products since I got the car in September. I decided to track my detailing with this car, so I thought I'd provide what I've done thus far. Everything has been applied by hand.

Product # Product Name
1 Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Suds Car Wash Soap
2 Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish
3 Chemical Guys Vertua Bond 408 Bonding Agent
4 Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 Sealant & Paint Protectant
5 Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax
6 Chemical Guys InnerClean - Interior Quick Detailer & Protectant
7 Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant & Quick Detailer
8 Chemical Guys Diablo Gel Wheel & Rim Cleaner
9 Chemical Guys G6 Hyper Coat High Gloss Coating Protectant Dressing
10 Chemical Guys OG Clay Bar & Luber Synthetic Lubricant Kit, Light/Medium Duty
11 Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner
12 Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner

Date Item/Product (x)
10-Sep-16 Car Purchased
17-Sep-16 RW Carbon CF Mirror Caps installed
23-Sep-16 Wash (1), Claybar - whole car (10), Bonding Agent (3), Glaze (2)
25-Sep-16 Paint Sealant (4)
27-Sep-16 Exterior touch-up detailer/sealant (7)
30-Sep-16 Wash, install areas light claybar, sealant by PPF Installer. Paint Protection Film Installed. Xpel Ultimate on bumper, lights, rocker panels, side mirrors, behind rear tires on rear bumper; SunTek C on hood, fenders, A-pillars and front roof line.
2-Oct-16 Interior clean (6, 9) & vacuum, exterior touch-up detailer/sealant (7), tires coated (9)
5-Oct-16 Exterior touch-up detailer/sealant (7) due to lots of pollen
8-Oct-16 Wash (1), wax (5), detailer/sealant (7), wheels/tires cleaned (8- diluted), paint sealant (4) on wheels, tires coated (9)
9-Oct-16 Leather cleaned and conditioned (11, 12), interior clean (6)
Attached Images

2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      10-09-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Looks great!

Question, how does the ppf behind the rear wheel look? I ordered a white M240i that should be in soon and plan on getting ppf installed but am hesitant about installing it behind the rear wheels. Also, how is the cut off line on the pillars? I plan on protecting basically everything you did besides the roof which I plan to get vinyl wrapped gloss black anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Looks great!

Question, how does the ppf behind the rear wheel look? I ordered a white M240i that should be in soon and plan on getting ppf installed but am hesitant about installing it behind the rear wheels. Also, how is the cut off line on the pillars? I plan on protecting basically everything you did besides the roof which I plan to get vinyl wrapped gloss black anyway.
Those two areas are really the only two you will be able to make out an edge to the PPF. More so behind the rear wheel because it's a longer edge. In any case, you really don't notice the edge unless you are looking for it and to me the benefit outweighs the cost of the visual edge, which of course is personal preference. I'll try to get a couple of pics to give you an idea of what it looks like.

EDIT: Here are some shots of those areas. They actually appear better in the pics than real life- especially the roofline. The top of the a-pillar strip matches up with the roof line pieces so it kinda appears as one line. If you do a dark wrap on the roof the installer can probably mod that piece to meet the wrap. If you don't like the edge behind the rear wheel, you may be able to get the installer to do a custom piece that covers the whole area.
Attached Images

2017 Audi Q5

Last edited by RotorOver; 10-10-2016 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Added commentary and pics
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #4
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
Those two areas are really the only two you will be able to make out an edge to the PPF. More so behind the rear wheel because it's a longer edge. In any case, you really don't notice the edge unless you are looking for it and to me the benefit outweighs the cost of the visual edge, which of course is personal preference. I'll try to get a couple of pics to give you an idea of what it looks like.

EDIT: Here are some shots of those areas. They actually appear better in the pics than real life- especially the roofline. The top of the a-pillar strip matches up with the roof line pieces so it kinda appears as one line. If you do a dark wrap on the roof the installer can probably mod that piece to meet the wrap. If you don't like the edge behind the rear wheel, you may be able to get the installer to do a custom piece that covers the whole area.
Thanks a lot for the pictures! It looks like you have a pre-cut. I asked for everything to be custom so maybe he will be able to bring it all edge to edge and I will only have one cut off line. I can see it being a lot more visually appealing for my OCD. Install looks great on your car though!

How much did you pay for it? I got a quick over the phone quote for about $2k for headlights, bumper, fender, hood, behind rear wheel and A pillar. He said he would have to price out the rocker panels for me and I am pretty sure I forgot to mention the mirror covers also but those shouldn't be too much added on maybe $2/300 tacked on.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Thanks a lot for the pictures! It looks like you have a pre-cut. I asked for everything to be custom so maybe he will be able to bring it all edge to edge and I will only have one cut off line. I can see it being a lot more visually appealing for my OCD. Install looks great on your car though!

How much did you pay for it? I got a quick over the phone quote for about $2k for headlights, bumper, fender, hood, behind rear wheel and A pillar. He said he would have to price out the rocker panels for me and I am pretty sure I forgot to mention the mirror covers also but those shouldn't be too much added on maybe $2/300 tacked on.
His "Full Coverage Package" was $1300 which included full wrapped hood and fenders, full front bumper, headlight kit, mirrors, and door cups. The front roof line and A-pillar kit was an additional $100 and rocker panel kit was $300. Total of $1700.

Received another quote and the prices where basically identical, but the guy I used does all the installs for the local Ferrari dealership, and has done a few thousand installs. It's a treat just to walk through his shop! The key is to ensure your installer is top notch especially for custom jobs. Also, make sure they don't do any cutting on the car since accidents can happen which is an upside of the pre-cut templates. And that they specify full wrap where possible.

So you know, the rocker panel kit actually includes cover up the door to the first "crease". This is one line you absolutely won't see due to that edge being along that seam (the bottom door edge is wrapped as well). The only way you know it's there is if you run your finger along it. Something you should be aware of ahead of time - if you don't like the idea of that you can probably just have them do the skirts only.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorOver View Post
His "Full Coverage Package" was $1300 which included full wrapped hood and fenders, full front bumper, headlight kit, mirrors, and door cups. The front roof line and A-pillar kit was an additional $100 and rocker panel kit was $300. Total of $1700.

Received another quote and the prices where basically identical, but the guy I used does all the installs for the local Ferrari dealership, and has done a few thousand installs. It's a treat just to walk through his shop! The key is to ensure your installer is top notch especially for custom jobs. Also, make sure they don't do any cutting on the car since accidents can happen which is an upside of the pre-cut templates. And that they specify full wrap where possible.

So you know, the rocker panel kit actually includes cover up the door to the first "crease". This is one line you absolutely won't see due to that edge being along that seam (the bottom door edge is wrapped as well). The only way you know it's there is if you run your finger along it. Something you should be aware of ahead of time - if you don't like the idea of that you can probably just have them do the skirts only.
Thanks for the info! He is an Xpel and CQuartz installer and actually the only in the area that does CQuartz and film. I don't have too much of a choice as far as installers go since I want both, but I have seen a lot of his work on Facebook and it looks like he does a great job. I will speak to him about the details of where the wraps will start and end for sure when I stop by the shop Friday to check things out. I prefer coverage to looks so if the rocker panel needs to go that high up I am all for it, thanks for letting me know! I will speak to him about it to see if we can get it clean on the crease as yours is. I wouldn't mind it one bit with the peace of mind that I will be protected. There is constant construction in my area, especially right now they are doing the entire main road right outside my neighborhood. Now that you mention it, thinking about an accidental slip of the blade is a little worrying. I will make sure that if something like that were to happen he would do a proper paint correction to get rid of the scratch.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Looks sick. I would hire you!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 04:10 PM   #8
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTS@STBMW View Post
Looks sick. I would hire you!
Thanks Bro!
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Silvermike
Second Lieutenant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M220i 6MT

Garage List
2015 M220  [9.50]
I use white light/109/butter wet wax on my car. Chemical guys stuff are great. Was thinking to get the Silk shine for the interior. What do you use on the interior? Hows the results?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #10
RotorOver
Newer 2er
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermike View Post
I use white light/109/butter wet wax on my car. Chemical guys stuff are great. Was thinking to get the Silk shine for the interior. What do you use on the interior? Hows the results?
I haven't tried Silk Shine, but I imagine if it's like any of the CG products I have tried, it will be good. I used G6 Hyper Clean as a protectant, which leaves a deep wet look and InnerClean as a quick detailer. I've been really happy with the Chemical Guys products in general, but even on a new interior the G6 really made things pop. I would not have believed that you could make a new car look better than the day you picked it up at the dealership, but this stuff does it.
2017 Audi Q5
Appreciate 0