THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Torn on deciding my future car

View Poll Results: What should I do?
BMW m235i X-Drive 39 60.00%
2011/2012 C63 AMG 10 15.38%
Golf GTI/ Golf R 4 6.15%
Keep the TSX as winter, buy a true summer car 12 18.46%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

05-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #1
AyoTrev
Rep
Drives: 03' S2000 AP1

Torn on deciding my future car

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Picking a car right for me has been the biggest struggle for me lately. So I am here today asking for your opinions. What led you into deciding that the m235i was THE car you wanted any why nothing else?

I'll start off with a little back story:
The current car I own is a 2006 Acura TSX and it has been with me since day one. It is an absolutely beautiful car and I can't seem to give it up. The reason I say that is because being a 9 year old car, I have just hit 115k kilometers and it still runs like a charm. Other than having to replace the battery and alternator recently, there have been no major problems. Recently, I just got a quote from Lexus and they offered to give 10k for the car and all I could think to myself was "holy shit 10k? I have to sell quick!" And this is what started everything.

Fast forward to present day, I have been taking car shopping a lot more seriously having known the price of my current car that I could trade in. After searching around for cars I could possibly consider, I ended up here about a month ago. Seeing all your guy's builds convinced me the m235i was the car I wanted. Small, fast, modern, loud, sporty. All the things I could ever look for in a car was the m235i... Until I saw the price.

Being just shy of 60k CAD after tax and all that jazz (oh I didn't mention that I haven't actually sat down and negotiated prices but lets just say best case scenario i get around 55k CAD), it opened my eye to a lot of cars I could get. I have been looking at local Mercedes and their pre-owned inventory and the price of the m235i could get me the 2011/2012 c63 (give or take another couple thousand depending on the year). Sure I would be getting the m235i brand new but the sound of having the c63, a dream car of mine for a while, seemed unheard of. The incredible V8 was taunting me. But the car is just not as good looking as the m235i. It is by no means modern. Another car that I thought was absolutely incredible was the Golf R. But after deeper thought, I couldn't justify the 10k over the GTI. So i've been through a lot of cars in my mind.

So here I am back to the question I wanted to ask you guys the most. What led you into deciding that the m235i was THE car you wanted any why nothing else? What was your experience leading up to buying the m235i? Am I just unsure of what I want? I have yet to test-drive the m235i because all the dealers I have been to never have a demo car.

Please help! I'm pulling out hairs because of it!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:22 PM   #2
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
You really need to test drive all of the options. That should pretty much make up your mind for you. I'm not an M235i owner, but i've driven all of the cars you're looking at.

I say keep the TSX as your winter car and buy a real summer car. Get a used Cayman S or Boxster S. Hands down better driving cars than any of your other options.

That said, the M235 is aruably the best all-around performer . Amazing daily driver. Comfortable, fast, and efficient.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #3
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremicium View Post
You really need to test drive all of the options. That should pretty much make up your mind for you. I'm not an M235i owner, but i've driven all of the cars you're looking at.

I say keep the TSX as your winter car and buy a real summer car. Get a used Cayman S or Boxster S. Hands down better driving cars than any of your other options.

That said, the M235 is aruably the best all-around performer . Amazing daily driver. Comfortable, fast, and efficient.
Have to agree with Jeremy a bit here. If all you really need is a summer toy to match up to the winter beater (TSX), and you want power and fun - why not search more convertibles or other coupes? Lightly used Porsches work, but for less (or same) as the M235, you could get the previous M3 coupe, maybe a convertible. The V8 would stroke your C63 V8 wishes, while meeting the fun factors.

Some other sexy options:
Jaguar F type (V6 models)
Porsche 911 (997)
Older BMW (E30 convertible)
E30 M3 (more rare, but a true status symbol for aficionados)
Audi S5 (2008-2010, had the 4.2L V8)
BMW 1M (2011, rare, special, plenty bonkers for summer fun)

Just a few off the top of my head for consideration.
      05-03-2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

If you have the cash and is looking to buy a car straight up, I would personally buy a higher performance used car for half of the price of a M235i.
Such as e92 M3, or the C63 AMG you wanted.

I only got my 228i due to the ability to lease. I would never buy this car straight up if I had the cash.

Winter is not an issue. Winter tires on any car and you are fine. Toronto doesn't get much snow as other parts of Ontario.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #5
AyoTrev
Rep

Thanks for the responses guys, I really do appreciate it.

Leasing or financing are options I am definitely exploring. If I were to get the m235i I would be trading in the TSX and leasing the car.
If I were getting the C63 I would also be trading in the TSX but financing it because pre-owned inventory is only able to be financed. Not a problem really, its a very solid car so I don't mind keeping it.

Maybe i'll just keep the tsx for a winter beater and get a full on RWD beast for the summer that never sees the snow.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
WWM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

As a former C63 driver, keep in mind that the thing is a pig on fuel. You're probably looking at an extra 800-1000/yr on fuel for the C63 versus the M235i. The transmission in the C63 is also pretty crummy. Other than those issues I think it's pretty clearly a better car
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

If you plan on insuring both cars at the same time. The cost of insurance might be something to consider. Especially with rip-off Toronto rates.
One car all year around may be a more economical choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
bobby66
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

I would love to see another M235I on the road! It is very rare to see M235i in the wild, it is a gem.

Couple things that I considered to be very important: 2 doors, perfect small size, all wheel drive for winter (this is my summer+winter daily), the suspension handles amazing on Toronto pothole roads. Added performance parts for looks. The high torque @ low rpm is a must. Most of the time you will be spending around 0-100 range, on local roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #9
AyoTrev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM View Post
As a former C63 driver, keep in mind that the thing is a pig on fuel. You're probably looking at an extra 800-1000/yr on fuel for the C63 versus the M235i. The transmission in the C63 is also pretty crummy. Other than those issues I think it's pretty clearly a better car
Definitely. The beamer a better choice overall being a smaller car with a smaller thank and is for sure fast enough. But you can never have enough POWERRRRR as Jeremy Clarkson says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc for hire View Post
If you plan on insuring both cars at the same time. The cost of insurance might be something to consider. Especially with rip-off Toronto rates.
One car all year around may be a more economical choice.
Insurance isn't that big of a deal I don't think. I plan on insuring one car at a time. So in winter ill insure the tsx, in the summer ill insure the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby66 View Post
I would love to see another M235I on the road! It is very rare to see M235i in the wild, it is a gem.

Couple things that I considered to be very important: 2 doors, perfect small size, all wheel drive for winter (this is my summer+winter daily), the suspension handles amazing on Toronto pothole roads. Added performance parts for looks. The high torque @ low rpm is a must. Most of the time you will be spending around 0-100 range, on local roads.

AWD is definitely a bonus, maybe even a necessity after experiencing such harsh winters these past few years. I currently see a listing for a m3 for around the same price as the m235i, so its definitely a car to consider.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

If it has to be 1 car then get the M235i. IMO it will be the best all around every situation car.

If just a summer/weekender get something else that pleases you on your list.

Perhaps the M2 is something to be looking at? Could bring everything you are looking for to the table. Too bad Ford isn't making more of those GT350's.

2022 M4 Comp X
2021 M440ix - Sold
2015 M235 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
bobby66
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyoTrev View Post
AWD is definitely a bonus, maybe even a necessity after experiencing such harsh winters these past few years. I currently see a listing for a m3 for around the same price as the m235i, so its definitely a car to consider.
I have been there myself on this decision, unless it was a 2012 with extended 4 years warranty with 50k low kms then I would take the m3. In the end dated m3 tech/interior was too much for me. Honestly, think about where you are in your life and what you want, for me I spend most of my time cruising to work and getting around to cottages, fast enough for spirited highway driving and eco enough for stop and go traffic. Always remember the shitty roads we drive in toronto....m3 is a harsh suspension.

Last edited by bobby66; 05-04-2015 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #12
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

So, I don't own an m235i, I own a 228i. I can attest to how great of a car the 2 series is, however, at a lower power level than the 235. As a 24 year old who was just able to buy his very first car (the same 228), I've always lusted after the c63. The sound, the looks, the engine, and the all out insane nature of what it is always made me drool.

That being said, as I live in northern new jersey and we get snow from November to March, bonkers power and rear wheel drive was not something I was comfortable using as a year round, only car, daily driver (plus the insurance on that thing for a male my age, eek). I chose the 2 series because I was able to get it in xdrive and it gave me a sporty, fun, light, driver's car that I could use year round. It ticked all the boxes for me in one shot.

If I had the money, was a little older (darn you insurance companies), and could swing two cars, you bet I would have got a c63 for the summer and something less nuts for the winter.....but I can't. So I went the middle ground and have had a blast in the little over a month I've had my 2 with zero regrets.

Think long and hard about your Canadian weather and road conditions. Are two cars feasible for you? If so, I think you have your answer (I would totally get a 2nd summer car and keep the tsx for winter, it's my final answer). If not, it might serve you best to comfortably sit in that middle ground that the 235i represents. You will not be sorry either way. Keep us posted on your decision!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:02 PM   #13
Yeru
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 IB E92 M3 ZCP

OP,
I'm not a 235i owner, but have test driven a RWD model and loved it. Since you seem to love spirited handling and performance, I'm sure you'd feel the same and fond memories of your Acura will fade.

Used BMW M or Merc AMG:
Their price-point may be lower than a new M235i in some cases, but unadvisable to consider those without original or extended warranties. As you probably know, their cost of ownership is not for the faint hearted.
Possibly, a low mileage CPO M235i is the best option?
      05-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
AyoTrev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby66 View Post
I have been there myself on this decision, unless it was a 2012 with extended 4 years warranty with 50k low kms then I would take the m3. In the end dated m3 tech/interior was too much for me. Honestly, think about where you are in your life and what you want, for me I spend most of my time cruising to work and getting around to cottages, fast enough for spirited highway driving and eco enough for stop and go traffic. Always remember the shitty roads we drive in toronto....m3 is a harsh suspension.
You make a very good point. At the moment its not like I don't have a car, but more of a "man, i want so much more" kind of deal. More and more, im convinced I should just get a completely crazy summer car of my dreams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601 View Post
So, I don't own an m235i, I own a 228i. I can attest to how great of a car the 2 series is, however, at a lower power level than the 235. As a 24 year old who was just able to buy his very first car (the same 228), I've always lusted after the c63. The sound, the looks, the engine, and the all out insane nature of what it is always made me drool.

That being said, as I live in northern new jersey and we get snow from November to March, bonkers power and rear wheel drive was not something I was comfortable using as a year round, only car, daily driver (plus the insurance on that thing for a male my age, eek). I chose the 2 series because I was able to get it in xdrive and it gave me a sporty, fun, light, driver's car that I could use year round. It ticked all the boxes for me in one shot.

If I had the money, was a little older (darn you insurance companies), and could swing two cars, you bet I would have got a c63 for the summer and something less nuts for the winter.....but I can't. So I went the middle ground and have had a blast in the little over a month I've had my 2 with zero regrets.

Think long and hard about your Canadian weather and road conditions. Are two cars feasible for you? If so, I think you have your answer (I would totally get a 2nd summer car and keep the tsx for winter, it's my final answer). If not, it might serve you best to comfortably sit in that middle ground that the 235i represents. You will not be sorry either way. Keep us posted on your decision!
I can totally see how the 2 series can fit all my needs for just one car. Small, fast, efficient. Slap on the xdrive and some decent winters and ill be good all year round. I think i'm more stuck on the wants rather than the needs. I think what I need is that m2 to come out at a price point of 60k tax in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
OP,
I'm not a 235i owner, but have test driven a RWD model and loved it. Since you seem to love spirited handling and performance, I'm sure you'd feel the same and fond memories of your Acura will fade.

Used BMW M or Merc AMG:
Their price-point may be lower than a new M235i in some cases, but unadvisable to consider those without original or extended warranties. As you probably know, their cost of ownership is not for the faint hearted.
Possibly, a low mileage CPO M235i is the best option?
The price point of the m235i isn't that much of a problem I don't think. My maximum tax in and everything was around 60k anyways. 60k can buy a lot of fantastic cars now a days which is why I brought up CPO m3s and c63s. It just seems like I'm getting a lot more "car" in the m3 and c63 compared to the m235i where I get a load of car and a load of tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
crqflier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '95 M3 (gone)

OP - have you driven the 235? It is massively different than your tsx. What about the c63? If you like how your tsx drives, that c63 will feel like a pig. A fast pig, yes. But still a pig. My "guess" is you'd actually prefer driving the 235 over the c63 coming from 9 years of tsx. 1 car - 2 series. Summer car- cayman r. Go drive them all.
      05-05-2015, 09:46 AM   #16
AyoTrev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crqflier View Post
OP - have you driven the 235? It is massively different than your tsx. What about the c63? If you like how your tsx drives, that c63 will feel like a pig. A fast pig, yes. But still a pig. My "guess" is you'd actually prefer driving the 235 over the c63 coming from 9 years of tsx. 1 car - 2 series. Summer car- cayman r. Go drive them all.
I have not driven the 235 but I have driven the 435 which is kind of similar. My area does not have a 235 demo but I am still up their ass about it. Without a doubt both the 235 and c63 will blow the tsx out the waters. I'm just struggling to figure out which one is best for me at the moment and what made people decide upon a 235 when there are so many options.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #17
jwr0721
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

If I were you I'd wait for the M2
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #18
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

I had the winter car and summer car setup and i miss it very much. My summer car used to be a 2007 C6 Z06. The car was a monster. If youre thinking of buying a car for 50gs there are many cars out there that will put a smile on your face. I've dumped 10gs into my m235i and I still miss the the power and handling of the Z06.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:51 PM   #19
AyoTrev
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr0721 View Post
If I were you I'd wait for the M2
It's going to be at one hell of a price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
I had the winter car and summer car setup and i miss it very much. My summer car used to be a 2007 C6 Z06. The car was a monster. If youre thinking of buying a car for 50gs there are many cars out there that will put a smile on your face. I've dumped 10gs into my m235i and I still miss the the power and handling of the Z06.
The winter/summer set up does sound very appealing to me. A decent Cayman with warranty or even CPO and low kms will run me about the same price as a 235i unfortunately. Other fun options to me are the Fiat 500 Abarth, Z4, or maybe even testing my luck on a TTS.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 01:49 PM   #20
AWheeler
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeru View Post
OP, Possibly, a low mileage CPO M235i is the best option?
Agreed, or consider leasing if you do not drive a lot of miles. Regardless, the M235i (RWD or xdrive) is a great all-around choice for a 1-car garage
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #21
rspeedy
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi TT Coupe

I have a 135is which is similar to the M-235 and what sold me is that it's a playful cars, asking you to play with it. I had driven awd cars for 10 years, a 2004 VW R32, 2004 Audi TT 3.2, 2006 Subaru Sti, 2008, Subaru Sti, and a 2011 Audi TT. Enjoyed all of them and they were all very sure footed and reasonably fast but they couldn't be tossed about like the 135is. I slide around several corners and turns each day driving to and from work and find it kind of exhilarating, much like going 0- 100 in sport mode. I'll be looking for a used a M-235 next February when my current lease runs out.
Appreciate 0