THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Transmission won't go into park

02-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #1
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Transmission won't go into park

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Pushing the park button doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to move the lever to the left before it will go into park, other times I've had to just cut the engine while still in drive. Dealerships have been unable to find any fault codes or replicate the problems (or at least that's what they say). Now my warranty is about to expire, and I've gotten basically 0 assistance from BMW.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or maybe have advice on how I can pressure BMW into actually doing something about it?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

make sure you have a service request document from the dealer in your possession listing the issue, that you've had the car in for that issue and that they couldn't replicate the issue.
And if you can make a date stamped video of the problem occurring.

Try another dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

This is not a defect. It's bad design.
You are in driving mode (D/S). You come to a full stop. You push the STOP button to turn off the engine. It automatically goes to P.
That's the design. However, they forgot to handle many use cases, like, you stop the car but don't want to stop the engine. You just want to step out of the car for a second. The minute you open the door, the car goes to N (not P), and it rolls downhill.
This is a known peeve with many auto-journalists. Similar to the stupid turn signal stalk that doesn't stay in place when you activate it. BMW finally got rid of that. They need to get rid of these stupid designers that want to re-invent the wheel, for their own gratification, forcing everyone else to relearn something that's worked for ages.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
beard627
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i 6MT Estoril Blue

What is this P you speak of? I see numbers from 1-6 and the letter R, like Sesame Street. Sorry, gotta get my digs in...
Appreciate 2
makrop150.00
      03-02-2019, 01:23 AM   #5
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
You are in driving mode (D/S). You come to a full stop. You push the STOP button to turn off the engine. It automatically goes to P.
That's the design. However, they forgot to handle many use cases, like, you stop the car but don't want to stop the engine. You just want to step out of the car for a second. The minute you open the door, the car goes to N (not P), and it rolls downhill.
This is a known peeve with many auto-journalists. Similar to the stupid turn signal stalk that doesn't stay in place when you activate it. BMW finally got rid of that. They need to get rid of these stupid designers that want to re-invent the wheel, for their own gratification, forcing everyone else to relearn something that's worked for ages.
Um, what?

I put my car in park and step out with the engine running all the time. Never once has it gone into neutral.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:52 AM   #6
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Similar to the stupid turn signal stalk that doesn't stay in place when you activate it. BMW finally got rid of that..
I find the clunkiness of most manufacturers mechanical indicator stalks to be quite crude and variable in the way they cancel. I far prefer the smooth and effective cancelling operation of the BMW electronic indicator stalks. They just need a minimal touch and have great weighted feedback that easily selects between lane change and turn initiation, to me it is a pity that what I feel is a superior design is being ditched because it is different from the norm - all depends on personal preference.

One of the other differences that they had for a long time was the window switches near the gear lever, much more efficient when opening a window at a car park when driving a manual transmission, as you don’t have to swap hands on the steering wheel between operating the gear lever and window switches as you approach or pull away from the barrier.

I’m sure in time they will also remove other engineering quirks that make them different but potentially better, such as the double pull bonnet/hood release with no need to hunt for the release lever under the edge of the bonnet, or the back seat release levers in the boot/trunk to provide better boot security than putting them on the top of the seat back.
Appreciate 1
AndDown176.50
      03-02-2019, 05:57 AM   #7
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP might want to talk to a BMW genius at the dealer, show the person what the problem is, and see if they can help.
My own experience with getting out of the car briefly, usually at the mail box, is that I put it in P and sometimes the engine cuts out, sometimes not. I am sure that there is some sort of German logic at work but I only have one Ph D, so it is above my pay grade.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
wjjkoevoets
Bright Sky
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i (8AT)

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I never do it like that.

Once the car has come to a full stop, I keep the brake pedal pushed, press the park button, release the brake pedal. I then either turn off the engine or leave the car with the engine running. Works fine every time.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #9
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F22 230i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
I find the clunkiness of most manufacturers mechanical indicator stalks to be quite crude and variable in the way they cancel. I far prefer the smooth and effective cancelling operation of the BMW electronic indicator stalks. They just need a minimal touch and have great weighted feedback that easily selects between lane change and turn initiation, to me it is a pity that what I feel is a superior design is being ditched because it is different from the norm - all depends on personal preference.

One of the other differences that they had for a long time was the window switches near the gear lever, much more efficient when opening a window at a car park when driving a manual transmission, as you don’t have to swap hands on the steering wheel between operating the gear lever and window switches as you approach or pull away from the barrier.
Totally agree with the electronic turn signal stalk. Coming from the 2001 X5 and 2003 E46, there was a very slight learning curve with the newer models, but I've adapted and actually like it. I do miss having the window switches near the gear lever like my E46 as it was always easier to activate taking my hands off the manual gear shifter to the switches.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:09 PM   #10
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjkoevoets View Post
I never do it like that.

Once the car has come to a full stop, I keep the brake pedal pushed, press the park button, release the brake pedal. I then either turn off the engine or leave the car with the engine running. Works fine every time.
There is no Park button on my 2018 M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
thmsl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
Pushing the park button doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to move the lever to the left before it will go into park, other times I've had to just cut the engine while still in drive. Dealerships have been unable to find any fault codes or replicate the problems (or at least that's what they say). Now my warranty is about to expire, and I've gotten basically 0 assistance from BMW.

Has anyone else experienced this? Or maybe have advice on how I can pressure BMW into actually doing something about it?
I'm experiencing the same issue (m235i) except it's never going into park, doesn't matter what I try. Did you end figuring what your problem was?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 06:53 AM   #12
rsostar
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120D

Wire harness problem

Wire harness is most probably the problem.
Please watch the video.

Appreciate 1
jzeiler4318.50