THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum How much do you guys hate the BMW maintenance schedule

01-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
yeezy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228ix, 2018 x1

How much do you guys hate the BMW maintenance schedule

I've seen this topic discussed months ago but just wanted to bring up how annoying BMW is with their maintenance schedule. With my car at 11k miles, I tried to use the 10,000 mile maintenance package but when i got to the dealer they said since the car itself said it wasn't due for an oil change until 2/2017 or 1,100 miles I couldn't get an oil change. Bear in mind, February is about 9 days away. Especially stupid in my opinion since this is a lease so it's not even my problem in a few years. Anyone else agree that their 'strict' schedule is a bit absurd or am I just being needy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Your dealer didn't call you to schedule the service? Mine did.

Plus, rules are rules. Why the impatience? Is it gonna kill you to wait until next month?

Not trying to be mean, I just don't see the big deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Do you think the individual franchise dealerships can decide on how to handle the maintenance when close to the individual cars computer recommendation?

Or do you think BMW Corporation is strict about using the cars service 'read out' for reimbursing dealers for the labor & materials and as a way to keep service work tabulated from an overseeing administrative function. They kind of eliminate abuse of free maintenance by being strict.

I knew they went strictly by the cars IDrive display for free maintenance, so I'm not surprised.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

It's all driven by corporate very little discretion at dealer anymore. Brakes for instance if they are replaced under your maintenance coverage the dealer must send them back to BMW to be inspected to make sure they were properly worn at time of replacement.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #5
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

The service at my dealership is outstanding. I was there on Friday for a recall and horn issue. The service rep said you are due for an oil change soon so lets do it while you are here. This is my 2nd bimmer and I received the same level of service with my 2012 X3. They are very flexible and have a great business as a result.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

:dunno. I don't hate it
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
The service at my dealership is outstanding. I was there on Friday for a recall and horn issue. The service rep said you are due for an oil change soon so lets do it while you are here. This is my 2nd bimmer and I received the same level of service with my 2012 X3. They are very flexible and have a great business as a result.
Did you say you need to return for the horn? Your dealership is smart to a accommodate you since your having warranty work. If it were true BMW N.A. frowns upon premature maintenance, your dealer should eat the cost to make you feel special.
What was the recall?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 02:28 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
I've seen this topic discussed months ago but just wanted to bring up how annoying BMW is with their maintenance schedule. With my car at 11k miles, I tried to use the 10,000 mile maintenance package but when i got to the dealer they said since the car itself said it wasn't due for an oil change until 2/2017 or 1,100 miles I couldn't get an oil change. Bear in mind, February is about 9 days away. Especially stupid in my opinion since this is a lease so it's not even my problem in a few years. Anyone else agree that their 'strict' schedule is a bit absurd or am I just being needy.
Most dealers give you a month grace period. So if it's due in March you can go in February
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #9
Thebush121
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Just think. You could be like me, buy a US spec BMW in Germany and not be able to use any of the free maintenance that was sold with the car (apparently only BMWNA honors this not BMW themselves.) Either way, the oil change was stupid easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Did you say you need to return for the horn? Your dealership is smart to a accommodate you since your having warranty work. If it were true BMW N.A. frowns upon premature maintenance, your dealer should eat the cost to make you feel special.
What was the recall?
It sounds sick, not as loud as when I got it. Others on here have complained too. The recall is for a strap for the convertible top, no big deal. Both have been ordered. I don't need them to eat the cost to feel special, I already do.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Did you just drop in on them and ask for the service? or did they tell you they'd do it and set it up ahead, then refused and stood you up once they saw your mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 01:40 AM   #12
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeezy View Post
Same in Switzerland and I absolutely hate it !
What I hate the most about that BMW maintenance, it is that here the oil replacement is scheduled every 20'000 miles If you look after your car, you will better do it by yourself
The guy who works for the service departement of my BMW dealer told me the same : if the car doesn't ask for it, I have to pay for it. They don't care if the oil change is scheduled in 500 miles and you have planned a 3000+ miles.
BMW Switzerland does the same as BMW NA, they check everything that they pay for if it is inculded in the "Free" maintenance program.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:55 AM   #13
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

I still haven't used my scheduled BMW oil change yet but im nearing 10,000mi and when I called earlier I remember them saying over the phone i could bring it in within 2000mi to the scheduled 10.. That was news to me, not sure if thats common knowledge.. I did buy my car from previous owner so Im always learning what BMW has to offer but Ive been happy thus far.
Appreciate 1
aerobod3625.50
      01-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #14
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

You can pay for an oil change. BMW isn't saying you CAN'T have one, they're saying they don't want to pay for one yet under maintenance.

When my M235i was new, I paid to get the oil changed at 4,000 miles and had it sent to Blackstone Labs for analysis and was told that my 4,000 mile oil was as dirty as 15,000 mile oil.

There are a lot of people who cut the maintenance program in half, thus paying for every other oil change. $75-100 isn't that big a deal for peace of mind IMO, especially if you're not particularly 'easy' on your vehicle
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Did you just drop in on them and ask for the service? or did they tell you they'd do it and set it up ahead, then refused and stood you up once they saw your mileage?
I was riding by the dealership and stopped in and told them about the horn. They set up an appointment which included a loaner. When I dropped off the car for the horn issue they scheduled an oil change since it was coming up soon and advised me about the strap recall. When I picked up the car they told me the horn and strap had been ordered. They will both be installed when the parts arrive. NO, they did not stand me up. As previously stated this has been the practice of this dealership in the 6 years I have been taking my vehicles there. Not all BMW dealers try to screw you and this is one of them. No negatives, no BS, and end of this subject for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
:dunno. I don't hate it
Personally I think their intervals are dumb and insufficient particularly when compared to historical maint schedules

I wish they would eliminate the "Free" maint altogether and cut the price of the vehicle and leave it up to the owners.

I'm doing a 1200mi oil change and will do another 5k later along with tranny and diff drain/refill

I plan to treat the vehicle as If I am going to keep it for 200k...including doing oil analysis to determine what the "Right" OCI is

I dont expect that I will ever be able to utilize much if any of their "Free" service
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Personally I think their intervals are dumb and insufficient particularly when compared to historical maint schedules

I wish they would eliminate the "Free" maint altogether and cut the price of the vehicle and leave it up to the owners.

I'm doing a 1200mi oil change and will do another 5k later along with tranny and diff drain/refill

I plan to treat the vehicle as If I am going to keep it for 200k...including doing oil analysis to determine what the "Right" OCI is

I dont expect that I will ever be able to utilize much if any of their "Free" service
My other car is a Mercedes Benz GLK-350 4-matic and the recommended service intervals are very close to my BMW M235i - oil and filter change every ~10,000 miles. The difference with MB is that I have to pay for the oil changes and other recommended services. So, it would seem to me that if MB was worried that the 10k mile oil changes were detrimental to the engine, they would gladly recommend that I bring it in more often, not to mention that they would make more money in the process. But they don't.

Today's synthetic oils are up to the task, not to mention the improvements in engine tolerances and metallurgy. Jiffy-Lube and other lube-racks are the ones who have been pushing the 3000 mile oil change to simply increase profits. Cars haven't needed 3000 mile oil changes for a long, long time.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #18
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
My other car is a Mercedes Benz GLK-350 4-matic and the recommended service intervals are very close to my BMW M235i - oil and filter change every ~10,000 miles. The difference with MB is that I have to pay for the oil changes and other recommended services. So, it would seem to me that if MB was worried that the 10k mile oil changes were detrimental to the engine, they would gladly recommend that I bring it in more often, not to mention that they would make more money in the process. But they don't.

Today's synthetic oils are up to the task, not to mention the improvements in engine tolerances and metallurgy. Jiffy-Lube and other lube-racks are the ones who have been pushing the 3000 mile oil change to simply increase profits. Cars haven't needed 3000 mile oil changes for a long, long time.
Thats why I stated I'll be doing oil analysis to determine what it looks like at 5k and adjust the OCI as needed

But the notion that Diff and tranny fluid is "lifetime" from the factory is bullshit
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #19
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

If you do the oil analysis please share the results if you don't mind. I'd be curious to see what's in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #20
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I did my own change at ~5,000 miles. I didn't analyze it because I knew it wouldn't be representative as the motor was still breaking in. My first BMW oil change will be in February (1 year, the car will have ~11,000 miles). 5,000 miles later, I'll do another change myself and send in for analysis. If the analysis comes back indicating that annual changes are good, then I'll just change out filters every 5K miles and not do the oil.

BMW's NA maintenance schedule does not bother me. My preference would be to have the cost of the car lowered and I'd do all the maintenance myself though.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 02:12 PM   #21
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i convertible

We're planning a long trip via the M235 and the dealer told me we could get the oil change now (30 days before due) so that it doesn't come due during the trip. Remember that your "one year" starts at your build, not at your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #22
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Thats why I stated I'll be doing oil analysis to determine what it looks like at 5k and adjust the OCI as needed

But the notion that Diff and tranny fluid is "lifetime" from the factory is bullshit
Agreed. In fact, my MB is going next month for the 5 or 50 service. In my case, its 5 year (but 45,000 miles) for transmission fluid replacement, plus quite a few other things.

I don't mind paying as long as all of the work is done as advertised.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50