THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Camber Plates For Street Use

02-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Camber Plates For Street Use

I need camber plates just for street use to fit the wheels I'll be getting. From the research I have done, either most of them have old versions that people are waiting for updates that they say are coming (which I can't find anything about any revisions) or just issues with the different plates like NVH and issues long term.

Is there any updated info on which is a good streetable camber plate? I only need about -1.5.

Second question, is Dinan worth buying just because of the warranty? I have Dinan springs and I'm not sure if having different camber plates would affect the warranty if I have suspension issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

All Camber Plates add NVH, if you care that much about noises, you should not touch camber plates There are none that are like stock, with or without the rubber spring isolators. Sure it helps initially but most of them seem to tear after so many miles anyways. If you just want camber you can search about adding the M3/M4 Control arm and Tension Strut. Those come with some other issues. Search and you will find a lot of guys going down that path. There are also some companies that have control arm bushings that are adjustable, just not alot of guys on here that have tried them it needs.
Appreciate 1
Lancelot570.00
      02-02-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
All Camber Plates add NVH, if you care that much about noises, you should not touch camber plates There are none that are like stock, isolators or not, sure it helps but most of them seem to tear after so many miles anyways. If you just want camber you can search about adding the M3/M4 Control arm and Tension Strut. Those come with some other issues. Search and you will find a lot of guys going down that path. There are also some companies that have control arm bushings that are adjustable, just not alot of guys on here that have tried them it needs.
Thanks, I know about the other options and that all will be worse than stock. I know the downsides but I'm going the camber plate route. Just trying to get the best of them, not expecting it to be like stock. I should have probably mentioned that in the original post or worded myself better lol

I'm looking for these in order:

Reliability
Warranty (throw company, I know BMW won't)
Price
Comfort
Noise (all will, but I rather have a "tick" than a "bang", if that makes sense)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

You can't go wrong with Vorshlag or GC. I personally run GCv2 and have been on the track. I got these before Vorshlag came out, but either are good options. You can squeeze more camber out of the Vorshlag's, a slightly more robust design too.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I'm running Vorschlags, only since December and paired with Ohlins.
No 'tick' or 'bang' noises, but you hear a ton more road noise than I was expecting.

I've had a couple of cars running BC coilovers and camber plates with zero increase in NVH. Not sure if they are an option.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2018, 02:12 AM   #6
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I'm running Vorschlags, only since December and paired with Ohlins.
No 'tick' or 'bang' noises, but you hear a ton more road noise than I was expecting.

I've had a couple of cars running BC coilovers and camber plates with zero increase in NVH. Not sure if they are an option.
From what I was reading it's better to run coilovers with camber plates for some reason, maybe that's why you have less issues than a lot of people are reporting? I'm really knew to suspension. But thanks a lot for the input. Coilovers wouldn't be an option for me but any camber plates less than $700 would be an option. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 02:16 AM   #7
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, maybe someone can chime in on the warranty side of it? Is there a reason to need the Dinan warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #8
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Can't imagine you needing to warranty camber plates, but most should come with basic warranty in case of a failure. I personally think it's ridiculous these camber plates cost so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #9
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Can't imagine you needing to warranty camber plates, but most should come with basic warranty in case of a failure. I personally think it's ridiculous these camber plates cost so much.
I'm specifically referring to Dinan warranty as in for suspension related issues. Could camber plates be used as an excuse as to why BMW or Dinan (since I have their springs) reject any suspension related warranty if I go with another brand of camber plates that aren't Dinan?

I basically don't mind dealing with any issues as long as I have a warranty that will cover them. I'm going to email Dinan and get their opinion on it. I feel they will obviously want to push their product so I'm trying to see if anyone had experiences taking a car with camber plates in to BMW for service/warranty.

I agree, camber plates seem over priced. Maybe it's the R&D, or maybe it's just one of those things that they take advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
I'm specifically referring to Dinan warranty as in for suspension related issues. Could camber plates be used as an excuse as to why BMW or Dinan (since I have their springs) reject any suspension related warranty if I go with another brand of camber plates that aren't Dinan?

I basically don't mind dealing with any issues as long as I have a warranty that will cover them. I'm going to email Dinan and get their opinion on it. I feel they will obviously want to push their product so I'm trying to see if anyone had experiences taking a car with camber plates in to BMW for service/warranty.

I agree, camber plates seem over priced. Maybe it's the R&D, or maybe it's just one of those things that they take advantage of.
Unless they can prove that camber plates caused whatever issue you're going to the dealer for, they can't refuse to do any work for having camber plates.

And there's really not that much R&D involved and they're not inventing anything new.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
bubbajan21
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I will be watching this thread closely, I am also looking for camber plates. From the research I've done, Vorshlag has updated their design to accommodate the OEM spring isolator and dust boot. I haven't been able to find much feedback on them other than Nugget above who said they increase road noise but no clunks.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 12:52 AM   #12
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajan21 View Post
I will be watching this thread closely, I am also looking for camber plates. From the research I've done, Vorshlag has updated their design to accommodate the OEM spring isolator and dust boot. I haven't been able to find much feedback on them other than Nugget above who said they increase road noise but no clunks.
Keep in mind I am not using the stock struts and springs, so your experience may vary.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #13
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Unless they can prove that camber plates caused whatever issue you're going to the dealer for, they can't refuse to do any work for having camber plates.

And there's really not that much R&D involved and they're not inventing anything new.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajan21 View Post
Good to know that info. So far I'm looking at GC, Vorshlag, and Dinan.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
teinesina
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240xi

Quote:

Ditto.

I'm picking up my M240xi tomorrow and the first thing I want to do is add front camber (light track and autocross). I want to do it in such a way that I dont get any grief from the dealer.

This is my first BMW. Have a MINI, MINI dealer hates me because my mini is modded beyond belief and I have fought them every step of the way to cover stuff that was not affected by mods. I am over it though and i just want peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #15
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teinesina View Post
Quote:

Ditto.

I'm picking up my M240xi tomorrow and the first thing I want to do is add front camber (light track and autocross). I want to do it in such a way that I dont get any grief from the dealer.

This is my first BMW. Have a MINI, MINI dealer hates me because my mini is modded beyond belief and I have fought them every step of the way to cover stuff that was not affected by mods. I am over it though and i just want peace of mind.
Congratulations! That's what I'm afraid of. It's my first BMW as well and first new car but it was definitely a mistake because I realize I can't help but to mod. I got it in an attempt to keep the warranty and have a reliable daily but now I'm pushing it. I'll be bringing into service with everything but my JB4 but hope that they don't have issues with my intake/downpipe and I'm about to pull the trigger on Dinan camber plates so I don't need to worry about that. I only got the Dinan springs because it was cheaper than coilovers but still offered warranty. If not I would of went with something else.

I think I'm having issues with the Dinan contact us page they never reply and I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt it's because the email never goes through. I'm calling them when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #16
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
I've had tons of camber plates on various cars with no additional NVH. I think it's more of an issue when using camber plates with OEM suspension; which I've never done.

I'm currently on KW Clubsport coilovers with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #17
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I've had tons of camber plates on various cars with no additional NVH. I think it's more of an issue when using camber plates with OEM suspension; which I've never done.

I'm currently on KW Clubsport coilovers with no issues.
From the reports I've seen you are correct, it's mostly when used with OEM struts, which I will be using.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #18
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I ordered them yesterday, thanks for the help guys! Warranty and price ended up being the deciding factor.

Vorshlag was sold "as-is" so for an extra $20 GC was going to be my choice because of the 1 year warranty. However, I ended up getting Dinan for the same price as GC and with a 2 year warranty plus BMW won't be able to complain.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Anyone use AST 5100 series coilovers on there 2 series?
Appreciate 0