THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum AutoBild (autobild.de) news - could this be a hint for the potential M2

10-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
happyg512
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

AutoBild (autobild.de) news - could this be a hint for the potential M2

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
http://www.autobild.de/bilder/neuer-...--4432232.html
They are talking about the next gen X1 model (front wheel drive) and a X1M (all wheel drive standard) with 2L turbo and 320HP. Could this be the first hint for a potential engine if they build a M2?

Der Allradantrieb ist Serie in Verbindung mit den stärksten Vierzylindern und im X1M, der mit seinem hoch aufgeladenen und 320 PS starken Zweiliter-Motor den Audi RS Q3 verblasen soll.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

I doubted a bespoke M 4-cylinder for the M2. But it makes sense if they use it in other vehicles. That is just how they do things now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #3
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by guentherkapp View Post
http://www.autobild.de/bilder/neuer-...--4432232.html
They are talking about the next gen X1 model (front wheel drive) and a X1M (all wheel drive standard) with 2L turbo and 320HP. Could this be the first hint for a potential engine if they build a M2?

Der Allradantrieb ist Serie in Verbindung mit den stärksten Vierzylindern und im X1M, der mit seinem hoch aufgeladenen und 320 PS starken Zweiliter-Motor den Audi RS Q3 verblasen soll.
Autobild is a very bad website and magazine, they guess most of their "facts". For example they said the 2 series would get FWD and 3 and 4 cylinder engines only. (the actual F2X 2 series, not the generation after)

In their car comparisons mostly a volkswagen or audi wins because of ridiculous reasons so meantime it looks like they are getting paid for let them winning.
I only use this website for looking at the pictures in the articles, but as mentioned, their "facts" are crap.

So keep on hoping for a detuned S55 6cylinder for the M2 and M2GC. Imho this isn't the right time to put a 4 cylinder into the little M, in the next 1 and 2 series we'll probable get FWD and 4 cylinder engines only, so people would rather accept this. I'll not.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcclane View Post
Autobild is a very bad website and magazine, they guess most of their "facts". For example they said the 2 series would get FWD and 3 and 4 cylinder engines only. (the actual F2X 2 series, not the generation after)

In their car comparisons mostly a volkswagen or audi wins because of ridiculous reasons so meantime it looks like they are getting paid for let them winning.
I only use this website for looking at the pictures in the articles, but as mentioned, their "facts" are crap.

So keep on hoping for a detuned S55 6cylinder for the M2 and M2GC. Imho this isn't the right time to put a 4 cylinder into the little M, in the next 1 and 2 series we'll probable get FWD and 4 cylinder engines only, so people would rather accept this. I'll not.
If they can get 360 - 380 PS from this four cylinder. What's to stop them putting it in the M2?
The M2 is not coming tomorrow. Just as BMW M related to a four cylinder that is also not coming tomorrow.
      11-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
BMWJS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

If they can get 360 - 380 PS from this four cylinder. What's to stop them putting it in the M2?
The M2 is not coming tomorrow. Just as BMW M related to a four cylinder that is also not coming tomorrow.
They may be able to get the target HP but should they choose a 4 cylinder to do so? A 6 cylinder has many positive attributes such as smoothness, sound, less stress/maintenance and it seems that a great majority of those providing opinions desire a 6. Aside from the weight advantage of a 4, why would BMW deny the M2 of a 6?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Hm yeah these dates matches... but in contrast to you, Autobild is not a good source.
Is that correct that you are working in marketing for BMW or some other company which is working for BMW, or are you directly involved in all of these BMW projects?

Do you know if there's already made a decision which engine get placed in the M2? (Nitschke mentioned in an article he already got an engine for the entry level M car.)
And if yes, can't you just give us a clearly hint how much cylinders it will have? Please Scott, I've waited so long for a car like this and I am pretty sure we will get something like that never again, so I have no problem with waiting another couple of years, but that uncertainty really kills me.

I know BMW M isn't about numbers, the driving feel matters, but for me the engine is very important since I never had a 6 cylinder in my cars before and I wanna keep that coming up baby M forever.
Please reduce my suffering a bit.

It looks like you are thinking it will get a 4cyl., but I really wanna know it.
And like I said in my last post, I think the customer will accept it rather from the next generation.

PS: And thank you for all of the information we've got from you. I appreciate it very much.

Last edited by jackmcclane; 11-01-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

I've been saying this all along. Why not?

I think a 4 cylinder M2 focused on power and weight savings will be one hell of a car. This will be the true successor to the e30 M3 IMO
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
It would be funny if the M2 were to be powered by a 4 cylinder hybrid.. everyone would lose their mind. don't expect to see an M2 on the streets until 2016 that's for sure
      11-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Captain_Burgundy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Min Gray / Coral / 6MT

The logical choice to me would be a 5-Cylinder version of the S55? This goes with the modular idea and economies of scale they want to make a good profit.

Didn't they pretty much do this with the last M3 and M5? I am not an engineer but on the basics of just "cutting off a cylinder" and doing the math would put the horsepower figure right around 360 hp where it is expected?

I think if you threw the S55 in the M2 you are going to cannibalize M4 buyers, even if it is detuned.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2013, 03:59 PM   #10
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Burgundy View Post
The logical choice to me would be a 5-Cylinder version of the S55? This goes with the modular idea and economies of scale they want to make a good profit.

Didn't they pretty much do this with the last M3 and M5? I am not an engineer but on the basics of just "cutting off a cylinder" and doing the math would put the horsepower figure right around 360 hp where it is expected?

I think if you threw the S55 in the M2 you are going to cannibalize M4 buyers, even if it is detuned.
I say that's not true for most of the potential M3/M4 buyers, they do not want such a small car, they want the prestige, the M4 is the most important M car like the normal 3 series is the most important AG car for BMW, they want the full power of the S55 and so on. Yeah for sure there will be some buyers which go for the M2 instead of the M4 but I'm sure that's just a small group.

I like the M3/4 but the size and price for this is ridiculous in my eyes and I really want a small powerful sedan(/gran coupe) from BMW M which only the M2GC could be. I'm defintely don't buy a M2 with only a 4cyl., the other stuff from the car could be really good, I wouldn't care.
4cyl. = NoGo! This is the last chance to get a small M car with a I6 from BMW in my eyes, so don't fuck it up and give us that. The 1M was very good but very limited (and had only 2 doors ).

It's not that easy like just cut off 1 cylinder and a 5cyl. wouldn't be much better as a 4cyl. since it hasn't the typical I6 smoothness, sound and belongs to Audi.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
jackmcclane
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
I've been saying this all along. Why not?

I think a 4 cylinder M2 focused on power and weight savings will be one hell of a car. This will be the true successor to the e30 M3 IMO
I would like to quote BimmerMat135 from the M2 engine of choice poll thread:

"I agree with you on the weight factor but the I4 only has this advantage over the I6 all the rest are disavantages. If BMW need to focus so much on the weight that they are able to justify the presence of a I4 over an I6, then I would only accept it if the car come standart with a full CF body, CF shaft, ceramic brakes, light weight seat, light weight battery, fix light (non the bi-xenon one), option to remove carpet, A/C, infotainement screen and the radio. If they want to play the lightweight game, play it fair! If they put a 4cyl and don`t give us the possibility(at least with option) to have the car with the lowest weight as possible then it would have been pure marketing bullshit. I can accept 4cyl in cars like the alfa romeo 4C or lotus exige those car were meant to be lightweight from the start. On the other hand I'm not sure that the M2 will be meant to be light weight as the F22 M235i weight exactly the same as the E82 135i. The bases for the M2 are already heavy."
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Burgundy View Post

I think a 5 cylinder would be awesome but how would they make that work with a twin tirbo setup?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Had to happen sooner or later.
Attached Images

11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^Wow thats impressive!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #15
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Awesome! Please BMW make this car with a 6cyl!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

That M2 render looks great

BMW's challenge will be to slot this car in between the M4 and the M235 in terms of both performance and price.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

Thanks Scott !~!
They even picked the color i would order !! How about a rear and a front view LOL
      11-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #18
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

Just a crappy cheapo carmag with some nice renders/pics. Nothing more nothing less imo.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #19
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Had to happen sooner or later.
Why are you teasing a car that's so far off, Scott? Why not show us a render of the Z5M at this point?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #20
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Those wanting an M with I6 have the M3/M4. Unless NA, I6 does not fit the 1/2 Series. In fact even the 3/4 series are no more that optimal for I6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Why are you teasing a car that's so far off, Scott? Why not show us a render of the Z5M at this point?
Nobody outside BMW (M?) know what the Z5 really will be. We do not know if there'll be an M version, or if it already is an M car like the Z8. It could also get that V6 that didn't go to the M3/M4. The car will share its platform with the new Supra, and that one gets a Toyota V6. The Supra will come as Coupé, the Z5 as Roadster, not known if each will have the opposite variant.

Last edited by BMW269; 11-05-2013 at 04:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Quote:
Why are you teasing a car that's so far off, Scott? ...................
To get you used to the idea that the M2 will be 4cyl so it's not a shock? (You've gotten over your disgust by the time its released)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
BMWJS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920
Quote:
Why are you teasing a car that's so far off, Scott? ...................
To get you used to the idea that the M2 will be 4cyl so it's not a shock? (You've gotten over your disgust by the time its released)
I would like to believe that BMW is listening to the opinions and desires of those that have posted and participated in the engine choice poll. 84% in favor of a 6 cylinder is impressive.
Appreciate 0