THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions E-Sys Coding didn't persist

10-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #1
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235 XDrive Convertible

E-Sys Coding didn't persist

My 2016 M235i XDrive convertible was recently in the shop, and had a firmware upgrade that removed the coding I had done previously. No problem, I thought. I made sure I had the latest version of the ESys software and launcher, and coded it again. The most important mods were to turn off the ASD, and turn off the legal disclaimer every time the Nav system starts.

The next day, the car seemed louder than I expected, and the Nav system had the legal disclaimer.

Maybe I missed something, so I did it again. To code out the ASD, I made the change in E-Sys, started the car, and coded the ECU. I'm pretty sure it worked, because at one point in the process, the engine abruptly became quieter. I read the ECU to verify the change, and the software told me it was back to default. I applied it about 3-4 times, and had the same result. I coded out the legal disclaimer just in case it really worked, too.

The next day, it seems that ASD is turned off - the car is quieter. However, the legal disclaimer is still there.

I used the latest version of E-Sys and the Premium Launcher from BimmerFest. Do I need a newer version? Do new firmware versions inhibit coding? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

David
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRitch View Post
My 2016 M235i XDrive convertible was recently in the shop, and had a firmware upgrade that removed the coding I had done previously. No problem, I thought. I made sure I had the latest version of the ESys software and launcher, and coded it again. The most important mods were to turn off the ASD, and turn off the legal disclaimer every time the Nav system starts.

The next day, the car seemed louder than I expected, and the Nav system had the legal disclaimer.

Maybe I missed something, so I did it again. To code out the ASD, I made the change in E-Sys, started the car, and coded the ECU. I'm pretty sure it worked, because at one point in the process, the engine abruptly became quieter. I read the ECU to verify the change, and the software told me it was back to default. I applied it about 3-4 times, and had the same result. I coded out the legal disclaimer just in case it really worked, too.

The next day, it seems that ASD is turned off - the car is quieter. However, the legal disclaimer is still there.

I used the latest version of E-Sys and the Premium Launcher from BimmerFest. Do I need a newer version? Do new firmware versions inhibit coding? Or am I missing something?

Thanks!

David
maybe you are clicking "Code" instead of "Code FDL"
Appreciate 1
DRitch9.50
      10-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:

Thanks!

David
maybe you are clicking "Code" instead of "Code FDL"
That could be - thank you! I'll look at that in the user interface tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you, pikachu! That was the issue.

So - if the Code button didn't code the highlighted ECU, what did it do?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Thank you, pikachu! That was the issue.

So - if the Code button didn't code the highlighted ECU, what did it do?
it did code it.... when you hit "code" it codes back to factory settings...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh - that's pretty funny. Well, now I know. Hope I'll remember for the next time. ;-)

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0