THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Connected drive + internet + remote services

05-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
one1er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i (Yet to come)

Connected drive + internet + remote services

Hey guys

I've been trying to understand the working principle of these services...meaning, how does the car get internet access, plus remote services, etc...do you have to get a sim card into the car? On bmw's website it says the internet option will word for 1 year, and then you can extend it...so, is BMW providing the internet, with a monthly fee??

I'm ordering mine with the navigation pack, which includes the professional nav system, with real time traffic and connect drive, and was wondering if the internet and remote service are worth it...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

The car has a sim card with 3G, it will be subscription based after one year. I hope the yearly subscription is cheap, otherwise I'll go back to using my phone for that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 12:34 PM   #3
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
The car has a sim card with 3G, it will be subscription based after one year. I hope the yearly subscription is cheap, otherwise I'll go back to using my phone for that stuff.
The car comes with the a sim card, with free internet for 1 year?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
The car comes with the a sim card, with free internet for 1 year?
Yes, and it blows. Super slow. Information retrieval may be worth it to some indigent farmer who doesn't have a smart phone. I'm a heavy internet user and literally the only use I've found for this is to search for locations to put in navigation. The only other use is the occasional review checks on yelp, but that's more just for kicks, truly could care less if it existed.

Anyone found a valid use other than the above for the internet access? I would love to actually use it for something worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
one1er
Private First Class
Rep

What about the remote services, open and close, doors, flash headlights, etc...it says "for life" on bmw's website, so I guess, that is a separate thing from the internet, but again, how does the car receive the data!?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
Yes, and it blows. Super slow. Information retrieval may be worth it to some indigent farmer who doesn't have a smart phone. I'm a heavy internet user and literally the only use I've found for this is to search for locations to put in navigation. The only other use is the occasional review checks on yelp, but that's more just for kicks, truly could care less if it existed.

Anyone found a valid use other than the above for the internet access? I would love to actually use it for something worthwhile.
The BMW Connect or whatever has the weather and news, but you are correct its pretty slow.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #7
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
What about the remote services, open and close, doors, flash headlights, etc...it says "for life" on bmw's website, so I guess, that is a separate thing from the internet, but again, how does the car receive the data!?
I believe all remote services are communicated to the car via cellular data. In the States it used to be over Verizon's network but I believe BMW switched to AT&T a few years ago. Not 100% sure on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
mathis.
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 235

Quote:
That is all off of BMW's "Remote" app. you have to activate BMW Assist for it to sync with the car. be sure to use the us version of the app

Previous: E38 740il, E66 745li, E46 M3 TiSi/Imola, E39 M5 CB/Caramel
Appreciate 0