THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum SensaTek and Sun Reflective Technology

01-06-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235 XDrive Convertible

SensaTek and Sun Reflective Technology

BMW talks about "Sun Reflective Technology" in their leathers - a pigment that helps keep seats cool even in direct summer sun. A BMW salesman told me that the same technology is applied to their SensaTec.

Could someone confirm this? Is it correct?

I know that SensaTec isn't as breathable as leather, and so will seem warmer when sitting on it for a long time. It's also not quite as soft. On the other hand, it is often said to hold up better over time, and is easier to clean.

I'm concerned with the searing heat, when you first get into the car, after it's been baking in the sun. Is there a noticeable difference in temperature between leather and SensaTec?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Sun reflective technology? That sounds like snake oil to me. Sunscreen to prevent damage I can just about accept, but heat reflecting???
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #3
e30jim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235I, E30 87 325ic, 15 F31

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...echnology.html
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30jim View Post
Ok, but is that going to work on vinyl?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

Its a pigment w/ higher UV reflectivity than normal. It would still work if you painted it on the metal. The underlying material doesnt matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:12 PM   #6
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Interesting stuff here. I hadn't heard anything about BMW's "SunReflective" technology and can't give you a direct comparison between SensaTec and leather. But I will say this: I have the black SensaTec in Florida without any tinting. It's very hot and sunny here, but I've never felt the seats were uncomfortably hot when first getting in the car. They definitely warm up, but nowhere near as much as the black leather in my old car. I wouldn't be worried at all up in Maryland.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post
Its a pigment w/ higher UV reflectivity than normal. It would still work if you painted it on the metal. The underlying material doesnt matter.
If BMW has figured out a way to make vinyl reflect the sun and stay cool then they should sell the technology to their competitors and make a fortune.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
If BMW has figured out a way to make vinyl reflect the sun and stay cool then they should sell the technology to their competitors and make a fortune.
It isnt much different than the clear window film that does the same thing. Nothing fancy going on, just 'paint' that reflects a larger range of light. It isnt as if BMW is the only company that does this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #9
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
This technology exists from a third parties already, so BMW is more than likely just licensing it.

Whether or not it's applied to the Sensatec as well I have no idea. With a CR interior, I rarely have left my top down when parked, so I've yet to experience coming back to a scorching hot seat. Either that's because I'm so used to the sun reflectiveness of it all, or I just haven't had a chance to experience the seat baking in the sun.
      01-06-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Surely the best thing to do would be to get as aggressive an all-round tint as you think you can get away with. This made a huge difference for me here in Southern California last summer. No more hot seats or almost untouchable steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:51 PM   #11
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
Surely the best thing to do would be to get as aggressive an all-round tint as you think you can get away with. This made a huge difference for me here in Southern California last summer. No more hot seats or almost untouchable steering wheel.
The new clear film can do it even for the windshield, without having to darken the car etc. If you prefer that. It does work quite well. Here in CO the UV is a big issue and heats the inside of cars significantly (even while driving you can feel it), the film makes it much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #12
DRitch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235 XDrive Convertible

Thanks for all the comments.

Scottyn - that was particularly helpful. If the black SensaTek doesn't get too hot in the Florida sun, I'm sure Ill be fine with SensaTek here.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #13
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

We had numerous non convertible cars with black seats (including a currently owned Mini with black sensatec), and have never had much of an issue with them being too hot in the summer.

But we have had much more of an issue with black steering wheels being too hot after baking in the sun. Apparently BMW's leather wrapped steering wheels use this same pigment, so hopefully it really is effective.

When we went to order our 235 vert with black Sensatec, our salesperson advised us to spend the $1500 for leather because of the sun-reflective pigment, and we ended up doing so after reviewing the info on the subject on bmwusa's website.

Of course we have since wondered if the $1500 was a waste of $, and/or perhaps if we should have ordered oyster sensatec instead.

And the following article from Edmunds does question whether owners will tend to park their convertibles with the top down in the hot sun. It's a really good point. We currently own two other convertibles with black seats, and when the sun is really roasting, it's true that we tend not to.

I'm thinking more and more that we wasted the $1500. It will be interesting to see what our experience is this coming summer.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/...g-leather.html
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
We had numerous non convertible cars with black seats (including a currently owned Mini with black sensatec), and have never had much of an issue with them being too hot in the summer.

But we have had much more of an issue with black steering wheels being too hot after baking in the sun. Apparently BMW's leather wrapped steering wheels use this same pigment, so hopefully it really is effective.

When we went to order our 235 vert with black Sensatec, our salesperson advised us to spend the $1500 for leather because of the sun-reflective pigment, and we ended up doing so after reviewing the info on the subject on bmwusa's website.

Of course we have since wondered if the $1500 was a waste of $, and/or perhaps if we should have ordered oyster sensatec instead.

And the following article from Edmunds does question whether owners will tend to park their convertibles with the top down in the hot sun. It's a really good point. We currently own two other convertibles with black seats, and when the sun is really roasting, it's true that we tend not to.

I'm thinking more and more that we wasted the $1500. It will be interesting to see what our experience is this coming summer.

http://www.edmunds.com/bmw/2-series/...g-leather.html
It's now 4 1/2 months later, but we have our answer.

Oh yeah, the SunReflective technology really works. The black steering wheel on our M235 vert is significantly cooler after sitting in the sun versus the black steering wheel on our MB SLK. But you get the leather steering wheel even if you don't order the leather interior.

So is the leather worth $1500? No doubt part of it depends on how often you leave you car sitting out in the hot sun with the top down. With our black interior the SunReflective tech is absolutely noticeable, and it certainly could prevent us from getting burned on the seat.

We do like Sensatec a lot, but I have to say the leather seems to be getting more supple with each passing months we have the car. No question it's nice...but at what price?

We tend to put the top down a lot, so we likely would spend the $1500 again. But for others that might not make sense.

Sorry for being so non-commital :-)
Appreciate 0