THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Can't feel the difference between Comfort and Sport suspension...

05-23-2016, 05:39 AM   #1
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Can't feel the difference between Comfort and Sport suspension...

Is it weird that I can't feel the difference between my adaptive suspension when I switch from Comfort to Sport?

Is the difference very slight or should I take it into the dealer?

I have a UK spec M235 with the adaptive suspension.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Change it back and forth on an undulating country road and you'll certainly feel the difference. You'll jiggle a fair bit more in sport than in comfort. On normal tarmac at cruising speeds, not so much. Its the steering weight difference thats the most apparent, i have the throttle response set to comfort and just chassis for sport as sport throttle is too hair trigger. Tbf its probably not an option id miss on future cars, although i can tell the difference the more i drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

In iDrive under SETTINGS then under DRIVING MODE configure SPORT for DRIVETRAIN & CHASSIS.

Then while turning flip between COMFORT and SPORT and can you tell the difference ? Slight more steering effort.

I think the system is speed sensitive so greater steering effort and greater dampening effect at higher speeds

Last edited by overcoil; 05-23-2016 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

As stated, at moderate speeds and gentle curves the feel is similar. As you drive more aggressively into corners you'll feel less roll, better turn-in feel and less "push". It is not night and day but it is noticeable and improves handling. As far as ride quality the most noticeable situation is over choppy pavement where the sport mode will feel stiff compared to comfort.

I think the adjustable suspension is great for a dd bc it allows the car to work well in daily commute but offers a stiffer setup for occasional sportier driving situations.

Would I do it again? Yes for a dd where comfort and ability to tweak the setup makes the car suitable for a wider range of road and use situations. No if I used the car as a weekend sport driver or ever planned on tracking it.

The sport mode is too soft for aggressive driving and a well balanced "sport" suspension would be the best match....like the M2. Audi has the same situation on the S4. If you get dynamic handling suspension, it makes for an expanded handling range but actually makes the softest mode too soft and the active mode not adaquate for aggressive driving. On an S4 the stock sport suspension with upgraded bars actually makes a better overall package, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:28 AM   #5
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
In iDrive under SETTINGS then under DRIVING MODE configure SPORT for DRIVETRAIN & CHASSIS.

Then while turning flip between COMFORT and SPORT and can you tell the difference ? Slight more steering effort.

I think the system is speed sensitive so greater steering effort and greater dampening effect at higher speeds
i can tell the difference in the throttle response and steering weight just not the suspension stiffness.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23fizzer View Post
i can tell the difference in the throttle response and steering weight just not the suspension stiffness.
I can feel it primarily on the highway around here. Basically long bridges because there's so much water around here. Feel the difference a lot on the expansion joints. My wife hates it, so i have one of the radio buttons set to the drive mode settings screen. That way I can quickly set Sport mode to be drive train only when she gets into the car.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Not sure if the calibration is the same for all markets, but for me, it's night and day. My wife can tell the difference, too, and when she's aboard it's always on Comfort, as the ride change on the Michigan moonscapes is quite noticeable.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #8
NVHoo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i red convertible

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd View Post
As stated, at moderate speeds and gentle curves the feel is similar. As you drive more aggressively into corners you'll feel less roll, better turn-in feel and less "push". It is not night and day but it is noticeable and improves handling. As far as ride quality the most noticeable situation is over choppy pavement where the sport mode will feel stiff compared to comfort.

I think the adjustable suspension is great for a dd bc it allows the car to work well in daily commute but offers a stiffer setup for occasional sportier driving situations.

Would I do it again? Yes for a dd where comfort and ability to tweak the setup makes the car suitable for a wider range of road and use situations. No if I used the car as a weekend sport driver or ever planned on tracking it.

The sport mode is too soft for aggressive driving and a well balanced "sport" suspension would be the best match....like the M2. Audi has the same situation on the S4. If you get dynamic handling suspension, it makes for an expanded handling range but actually makes the softest mode too soft and the active mode not adaquate for aggressive driving. On an S4 the stock sport suspension with upgraded bars actually makes a better overall package, IMO.
I have some experience with Audi's adaptive mag-ride on the TT. In most instances the ride is virtually identical in both modes in casual driving but you can tell the difference in aggressive twisty-turnies. It just means the adaptive suspension is doing its job and adjusting to the driving environment.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

as someone mentioned you notice it more when you really push car harder and faster through bends, then it feels tighter. Just driving along a moderately winding road its not as noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #10
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

So far i've mostly just been driving in town albeit it quickly at times.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

I had same challenge when I first got my car and could not detect difference using sport suspension setting (other than throttle and steering response).
Eventually I noticed that sport suspension move was more jittery so it took me some time to detect the difference.
However once I upgraded my wheels that much lighter setup the difference is now day and night.
Comfort setting feels significantly more comfortable
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:25 AM   #12
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Same, can barely tell the difference. Biggest change in feel is the steering and throttle for me. Honestly, if there was a savings/option in the M235i, I would have opted for the passive M suspension.

Even in the 3 series the difference was small and the passive M suspended cars pretty much felt exactly the same as my adaptive car.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #13
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

At low speeds there's no difference. When cornering there's slightly less body roll in sport. But at highway speeds it gives me whiplash.

I just use comfort mode 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I will have to double check, I thought the difference was big on crappy roads
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post

+1
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #16
JL1002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I first noticed it on a choppy highway - comfort mode really smoothed it out. It took me a few weeks of driving the car before I noticed it though.

I think part of the reason I had such difficulty detecting the differences at first was because the car just felt so incredibly different all around (coming from an altima), that it was hard to detect the difference between different and.... different. But as I've become more accustomed to the vehicle, I've noticed the differences more and more.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #17
vh2720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230xi

It is hard not to notice the difference when you switch to Sport mode on the freeway. To me it feels like the car takes off like a rocket.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #18
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2720 View Post
It is hard not to notice the difference when you switch to Sport mode on the freeway. To me it feels like the car takes off like a rocket.
i'm specifically talking about the suspension. as i've said I can notice the difference in throttle response.
Appreciate 1