THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M235i Nitpicks

03-31-2014, 12:24 PM   #89
chiefwiggum
Rep
Drives: Astra GTC VXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeboy View Post
The one weird thing I have noticed - when I have it set to Random in iDrive, when I scroll to the next track sometimes it will play that track and sometimes it will play the track after that, if that makes any sense...

Like on the display it will be:

Song1
Song2
Song3
Song4

If I'm on Song2, and scroll to Song3 and click to play it, sometimes it will only play Song4, even if Song3 is highligted. It's not a one time thing either, I can go forward to Song4, and it will still play Song4, but when I go back to Song3, it will only play Song4. Weird.

JB
I have an Astra GTC VXR (about to place an order for the M235i) and the system in that does exactly the same thing. I was driving yesterday and was thinking to myself 'at least when I get a beemer I won't have this issue'.

D'OH!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #90
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

has anyone figured out how to make the satellite radio favorite alert audible? currently, it will only display a very short term text alert at the bottom of the idrive screen, which i consistently miss with my eyes on the road.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #91
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

I personally think the nav sucks in comparison to the system I had on my 11 e90...

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #92
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Absolutely right. My gf would travel in a sauna if given the opportunity.

REST was awesome on my 335 for the cold months. When I was filling up gas after work, I'd run back in the car and enjoy the heat.
Yea i used this on the 135i. Sad that they re-event the wheel instead of keeping the good things and expanding to make it even better. Will miss this feature. Wonder if it can be coded some how.
      04-02-2014, 12:00 AM   #93
aspensilver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540I E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
You do realize it's been this way on BMW's for a very long time? Like since the E36? How big a deal is it to turn one more knob? People bitched about the E46 having only one temp control, now they're bitching about again having 2 but not adding yet another switch to turn it into one again? There's just no winning with some people.

Yeah and it always has stunk if you actually drive fast.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:05 PM   #94
2ForMe
Private
Rep
Drives: 235 maybe?

After going to a dealership and spending some time test driving and sitting in a 235, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I won't be able to get one till later this year..

The lack of available and decently sized interior storage makes this coupe a little less comfortable as a daily driver if you're like me and like to keep your belongings and possessions within arm's length instead of tossing everything in the trunk.

No overhead compartment for sunglasses, which I have had in my last 3 cars. I'm not even sure where you can safely place shades in this car.

Ridiculously small glove box.

Compartment to the left of steering wheel is miniscule.

No wimp bar on passenger side to hang clothing from.

*Might* be able to fit 1 pen in the compartment behind the cupholders.

Deceptively deep center console that actually provides less space than you'd expect, especially if you stick a cell phone in there.

No cup holders in back seat. Not much of anything back there actually except the sleeves behind the front seats which barely have any slack at all to slip anything into except for maybe some envelopes.

And that about does it for interior storage, unless you count the lower storage on both doors, the rear passenger floor, and rear passenger seats - all of which leave your belongings susceptible to moving around all over the place when you're driving a car with 320hp.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #95
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForMe
After going to a dealership and spending some time test driving and sitting in a 235, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I won't be able to get one till later this year..

The lack of available and decently sized interior storage makes this coupe a little less comfortable as a daily driver if you're like me and like to keep your belongings and possessions within arm's length instead of tossing everything in the trunk.

No overhead compartment for sunglasses, which I have had in my last 3 cars. I'm not even sure where you can safely place shades in this car.

Ridiculously small glove box.

Compartment to the left of steering wheel is miniscule.

No wimp bar on passenger side to hang clothing from.

*Might* be able to fit 1 pen in the compartment behind the cupholders.

Deceptively deep center console that actually provides less space than you'd expect, especially if you stick a cell phone in there.

No cup holders in back seat. Not much of anything back there actually except the sleeves behind the front seats which barely have any slack at all to slip anything into except for maybe some envelopes.

And that about does it for interior storage, unless you count the lower storage on both doors, the rear passenger floor, and rear passenger seats - all of which leave your belongings susceptible to moving around all over the place when you're driving a car with 320hp.
while i agree with a few of your assessments, i don't think it's as bad as you portray. it's my daily driver & works great for me. i've offered a few encouraging thoughts for you below.

i place my sunglasses in the compartment to the left of the steering wheel. i agree that it is small, but it's lined & a perfect dedicated place to store & protect your shades.

i improved my glovebox storage by moving the gargantuan owner's manual into the trunk cubby. i placed the manual in an oversized ziploc freezer bag to prevent moisture from damaging it. once i made this move, i had plenty of space for everything else i wanted to store.

the "compartment" behind the cup holders is a joke and the lid makes it less usable than just a simple tray. one thing that has worked for me here is placing my iphone in this space with the lid open when the phone is plugged into the usb port in the center console. this saves the cup holders for drinks & other items.

i agree that the center console is unnecessarily shallow. seems like there is wasted dead space below it.

i also miss the grab handles and the "oh, sh*t" bar for the passenger.

i bought a small tumi backpack that i use to store my daily essentials. i toss it in the passenger seat & can easily access it when needed.

bottom line: it's a coupe, not an suv (or sav), & wasn't designed for storage. it's a fun driver's car & the lack of storage won't bother you a bit later this year when you pick yours up & stomp on the accelerator the first time. don't sweat the small stuff & enjoy!

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #96
Ender_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO, V60 Polestar '24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForMe View Post

The lack of available and decently sized interior storage makes this coupe a little less comfortable as a daily driver if you're like me and like to keep your belongings and possessions within arm's length instead of tossing everything in the trunk.....blah blah blah
This isn't the car for you! /Starwars

I mean really who gives a shit about that crap, how does it drive? If you care about everthing you posted there are some nice Volvo's that will fit you're bill...I take that back, there are some nice Buick's you can buy!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #97
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForMe View Post
The lack of available and decently sized interior storage makes this coupe a little less comfortable as a daily driver.
Some of your points are valid. However, I'm cleaning out my current car right now in prep for my M235i trade-in (Prius). It has a deep center section, 2 glove boxes and a big ass tray under the gear selector in the center section. As I'm cleaning it out I start to feel like a woman with an incredibly large purse. 5 or 6 CD's I won't need (load 'em on the hard drive or use the iPhone), 2 enormous owners manuals (car and nav system) that haven't been cracked in years. All sorts of paper maps and general crap, headphones, nail clippers, expired coupons, etc. Hardly any of it has been touched in months.

When it really comes down to it, I'll probably keep 2 Altoids tins (1 with mints, 1 with change), some chapstick, a couple pens, some napkins and a charging cable. I like what vivalaReagan says…after the deep discovery period, keep the owners manual in plastic in the trunk.

I also think the wide/long door pockets can be utilized pretty creatively.

Besides, the cars heavy enough already…we shouldn't be looking for extra areas we can add weight.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #98
2ForMe
Private
Rep
Drives: 235 maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
This isn't the car for you! /Starwars

I mean really who gives a shit about that crap, how does it drive? If you care about everthing you posted there are some nice Volvo's that will fit you're bill...I take that back, there are some nice Buick's you can buy!
"Who gives a shit about that crap?" BMW owners give a shit about all sorts of insignificant crap. It comes with the pretentious attitude most of them have.

Also this is the nitpicks thread right? Ok, so tough shit if my valid complaints are too painful for you to accept.

The interior accommodations were clearly an after thought on this car. Even on the "non-M" 228s it's lousy.

Won't stop me from getting one, but makes me feel a little bit better about missing out on being one of the early adopters
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 12:18 AM   #99
rwalker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: the wheels off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender_ View Post
I think you missed the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to pick nits, lament the little things. None of these things can change our minds about how great the car is to drive, and it is great to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #100
modeboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp / HS / DCT

I figured out another nitpick... first off, I love the fact that the cup holders were moved to the front (side by side) so you don't have to lift the arm rest to get a 2nd drink in there, but here in the USA we love our big drinks. Anything above a small barely fits (not the base I'm referring to but the height). A medium or large drink from any drive through presses up against the dash area and causes the drink to lean towards you at an angle... I loved the anchored cup holder in the old 1. You could fit anything in that since it was essentially floating in free space with nothing around it. A definite annoyance.

JB
      04-08-2014, 11:00 PM   #101
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep

per a request from another memeber, i'm posting pics of how i ran wiring for a radar detector installation.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:12 AM   #102
Oyinko
Private First Class
Rep

1. The storage is poor! The glove box is too small and the space in the arm rest is non existent.
2. I miss the sync for the dual zone
3. The button to unlock the shift stick not very well situated
4. I would like that the car save the last mode used (confort, eco, sport...)
5. Too big blind spots
5. My biggest disappointment is iDrive:
- the nav system is not efficient and takes too much time to receive traffic datas
- too many menu items are impossible to store as favorites
- the integration with the iPhone is not perfect

But don't get me wrong, I love everything else on this car!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 12:28 AM   #103
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

I though the blindspots were good during my test drive. I thought the visibility from a quick shoulder look was good.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #104
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I thought the blind spots were better than my 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #105
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
I agree on the 1er's cup holder - it was great and could handle just about anything.

Another gripe to me is the stock stereo...the damn thing just isn't very loud and I like to jam with my windows down...this is not possible with the current setup - I never seriously considered upgrading the 1er's stereo...but I might have to do so with this damn thing...
      04-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #106
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
^ Really? My base stereo is plenty loud. I noticed I get the best audio out of the thing with a USB thumbdrive. Very crisp sounding with good bass.

Sattellite isn't as hard hitting as I wanted it to be - don't know if I'll renew after my year is up. My iPod takes a bit of a hit, too.
      04-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #107
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic
^ Really? My base stereo is plenty loud. I noticed I get the best audio out of the thing with a USB thumbdrive. Very crisp sounding with good bass.

Sattellite isn't as hard hitting as I wanted it to be - don't know if I'll renew after my year is up. My iPod takes a bit of a hit, too.
Can we just use any usb drive and the stereo will read the mp3 files??

Or do i need a pkg?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #108
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

I am using the USB output for my iPhone, and there's just no comparison between it and the 135.

I mean it sounds ok - but the volume isnt near what I am used to having...
      04-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #109
PigWig
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i X-Drive

My biggest gripe: tiny gas tank.

I mean my car has maybe 450 miles on it, and I'm already on my 3rd tank of gas. My F30 could nearly go 400 miles on a single tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #110
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigWig View Post
My biggest gripe: tiny gas tank.

I mean my car has maybe 450 miles on it, and I'm already on my 3rd tank of gas. My F30 could nearly go 400 miles on a single tank.
I misread this first, thought you'd said you'd done 450 miles on a tank 450 miles from 3 fill ups seems pretty harsh though?