THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Temp gauge

06-09-2014, 06:41 AM   #67
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

Vote with your wallet and not buy a car you really want over this? Then say goodbye to the future.

Want a temperature gauge? Spend $20 bucks and get a blutooth or wifi obd-2 adapter and a cheap app to measure.

Believe gauges are always useful? My wife's Cayenne had a stuck open thermostat. Did the gauge help? No, it read 185 when the car was armed up (pointing straight up). Yet the cel was on? With my $20 dongle and app, I read the cel and the actual temeprature was 165-168.

My grandpa complained about that missing gas stick and no front engine crank to start....

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #68
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
Vote with your wallet and not buy a car you really want over this? Then say goodbye to the future.

Want a temperature gauge? Spend $20 bucks and get a blutooth or wifi obd-2 adapter and a cheap app to measure.

Believe gauges are always useful? My wife's Cayenne had a stuck open thermostat. Did the gauge help? No, it read 185 when the car was armed up (pointing straight up). Yet the cel was on? With my $20 dongle and app, I read the cel and the actual temeprature was 165-168.

My grandpa complained about that missing gas stick and no front engine crank to start....

????

The gas stick was replaced by a fuel gauge! The crank was replaced by a an electric starter. The M235i gauge was replaced by a logo.

What is your point? You are saying we are not accepting progress. Most of us agree with that adding a fuel gauge was good progress as was an electric starter. How is a glowing logo progress?
Even if you are idiot light lover. Then BMW could replace the gauge with three idiot lights...cold, warm (operating temperature) and hot (pull over) then all the idiot light lovers will be happy and we could live with that and call it "progress."
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 10:45 AM   #69
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I think some of the disagreement comes from how we drive our cars and how long we keep them. For example, I noticed that some of the posters that think dropping the temp gauge replace their cars pretty often. Also, some might not work on their cars. Some of us keep our cars a long time, out of warranty and work on cars both personally and in my case I did a stint in the dyno and test department of an IMSA GTP team. My best friend owns an independent Mercedes BMW only shop and I sometimes help him when he gets busy. I see the tidal wave of 8 year old BMWs with burst expansion tanks and radiators, plastic water pump impellers that fail and even the E90/92 electric water pumps. Thermostats, etc. His bread and butter is BMW cooling systems, window regulators and brake jobs. If you look at consumer reports reliability ratings, you will see BMW is below average on engine cooling issues. When the first 335i's came out they were overheating and owners saw that with their easy to read temp gauge. BMW eventually added oil coolers to those that didn't get one. So those of us that drive older BMWs find that the temp gauge is important.

Some of the responses have been go buy a 20 blue tooth app for your iphone after you spend $50K and by the way, pay extra for the bluetooth option on top of it and hope you didn't accidentally switch off bluetooth when your expansion tank goes. Others like the cool 235i logo where the boring gauge used to sit on the 1 series.

Let me ask all of you than think that dropping the temp gauge is progress even if just for a logo or because you can dig through it in some nested digital display. If BMW drops the gas gauge in the next model, would you be concerned? Would you merrily go buy an iphone app to tell you when you are low on gas? Would you call those that think dropping the fuel gauge, grandpas and whiners? Seriously, curious what is your threshold. At what point would you come over to our side? After they drop the fuel gauge, tach, speedo? Maybe the drop the PRNDL on the automatics and you have to count the clicks on the auto stick. Chime in and let us know at what point of dropping instrumentation would you feel compelled to consider that you are not willing go give that up?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #70
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I think some of the disagreement comes from how we drive our cars and how long we keep them. For example, I noticed that some of the posters that think dropping the temp gauge replace their cars pretty often. Also, some might not work on their cars. Some of us keep our cars a long time, out of warranty and work on cars both personally and in my case I did a stint in the dyno and test department of an IMSA GTP team. My best friend owns an independent Mercedes BMW only shop and I sometimes help him when he gets busy. I see the tidal wave of 8 year old BMWs with burst expansion tanks and radiators, plastic water pump impellers that fail and even the E90/92 electric water pumps. Thermostats, etc. His bread and butter is BMW cooling systems, window regulators and brake jobs. If you look at consumer reports reliability ratings, you will see BMW is below average on engine cooling issues. When the first 335i's came out they were overheating and owners saw that with their easy to read temp gauge. BMW eventually added oil coolers to those that didn't get one. So those of us that drive older BMWs find that the temp gauge is important.

Some of the responses have been go buy a 20 blue tooth app for your iphone after you spend $50K and by the way, pay extra for the bluetooth option on top of it and hope you didn't accidentally switch off bluetooth when your expansion tank goes. Others like the cool 235i logo where the boring gauge used to sit on the 1 series.

Let me ask all of you than think that dropping the temp gauge is progress even if just for a logo or because you can dig through it in some nested digital display. If BMW drops the gas gauge in the next model, would you be concerned? Would you merrily go buy an iphone app to tell you when you are low on gas? Would you call those that think dropping the fuel gauge, grandpas and whiners? Seriously, curious what is your threshold. At what point would you come over to our side? After they drop the fuel gauge, tach, speedo? Maybe the drop the PRNDL on the automatics and you have to count the clicks on the auto stick. Chime in and let us know at what point of dropping instrumentation would you feel compelled to consider that you are not willing go give that up?
This argument fails on so many levels. There is no analogy to be made between monitoring fuel levels and monitoring engine temperature. Engine temperature is monitored for an exception condition. Fuel depletion is an expected result. Put another way, you monitor fuel levels because you expect that they'll go down over time, requiring a user-serviceable petrol fill-up. On the other hand, you shouldn't need to monitor engine temperatures, because they're managed by the engine control systems. If everything goes as expected, fuel depletes. If everything goes as expected, engine temperature remains within operating parameters.

I think you've framed the disagreement incorrectly. The disagreement isn't between those who drive their cars for a long time and those who don't, it's between those who place their trust in the engine management systems and those who don't.

Please don't misinterpret me. I'm not weighing in on either side of that argument in the statement above. Many people have good reason to distrust the "smarts" inside their BMW. They've been burned (ha, pun!) by bad temperature monitoring in the past.

The dirty secret here is that coolant temperature needle gauges haven't really been accurate (in many cars) for a long time. They're "damped" by the engine control systems. And using the term "damped" is really generous. In reality, they're just an idiot light that happens to use a needle to indicate status. In many cars, the needle represents conditions, not actual temperature. For example, the needle might have a few ranges: warm-up, normal, overheat, critical.

Also consider the manufacturer's perspective. Interpreting a temperature gauge requires some degree of nuance. Consumers' perception of how an engine works is often grossly incorrect. How many worry warts do you think make a trip to the dealership if the coolant temp needle edges a little bit close to the hot side? How many of those trips are actually warranted? Manufacturers desperately want to reduce these spurious visits.

My opinion is that enthusiast oriented cars should still have them. It just seems to me that an enthusiast would want to know about the reality under the hood. I don't want/need the car's control systems interpreting the data. I'd prefer to do that myself. Manufacturers already charge a premium for enthusiast oriented cars, so why not dedicate some of those profits toward giving us what we want? When considering the cost impact, you have to consider the support issues that arise with providing a coolant temperature gauge, however. It's not a simple matter of a $2 gauge on the cluster. I still think it's worth it though.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #71
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Since the computer is taking care of the temperatures then why not have warm up sequence like the M3 does. You can't rev past a certain point till its warmed up. I would be fine with that. Just want to know when its safe to push the car hard without forcing a problem. Even my 07 Lotus Exige S has temp sequence. It won't let me go over a certain rev till its warmed up. But it does have a temp gauge too.
      06-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #72
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman6074 View Post
Since the computer is taking care of the temperatures then why not have warm up sequence like the M3 does. You can't rev past a certain point till its warmed up. I would be fine with that. Just want to know when its safe to push the car hard without forcing a problem. Even my 07 Lotus Exige S has temp sequence. It won't let me go over a certain rev till its warmed up. But it does have a temp gauge too.
This presumes that exceeding a specific RPM threshold will damage the engine somehow. The operating constraints of a high-output engine differ from a standard engine. As you begin to push the envelope, you edge closer to the limits of the materials. This requires special consideration. It's entirely possible that it's perfectly safe to rev the N55 in the M235i to redline a shortly after starting it up.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #73
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
This presumes that exceeding a specific RPM threshold will damage the engine somehow. The operating constraints of a high-output engine differ from a standard engine. As you begin to push the envelope, you edge closer to the limits of the materials. This requires special consideration. It's entirely possible that it's perfectly safe to rev the N55 in the M235i to redline a shortly after starting it up.
Obviously no one will convince anyone of anything here. I recommend you write to BMW engineering and ask them. Don't believe us.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #74
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Maybe it's because my experience isn't that extensive but this is the first time I've seen/heard of a car without a temp gauge
      06-09-2014, 06:52 PM   #75
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228i

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure how the 2 Series works yet, but in my E90 328i, I don't have a coolant temp gauge, much less an oil temp gauge. To determine when the engine is warmed up enough to rev hard, I use the on board computer to check the oil level (yes, I mean level). The interesting thing about the oil level is that it does not give a reading right away, it just shows a clock. Eventually, after say 10 minutes, it does give a reading. I've never been able to prove this, but my theory is that the system will not provide a reading until the engine has reached operating temperature. This is definitely a workaround, but maybe worth knowing.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #76
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I'm not sure how the 2 Series works yet, but in my E90 328i, I don't have a coolant temp gauge, much less an oil temp gauge. To determine when the engine is warmed up enough to rev hard, I use the on board computer to check the oil level (yes, I mean level). The interesting thing about the oil level is that it does not give a reading right away, it just shows a clock. Eventually, after say 10 minutes, it does give a reading. I've never been able to prove this, but my theory is that the system will not provide a reading until the engine has reached operating temperature. This is definitely a workaround, but maybe worth knowing.
I don't believe you can take the level reading in motion. You must be stopped and on a level surface. That is the just the electric way of replacing the dipstick. And it takes longer then being able to do it manually. So i ask any of those who say technology is advancing?? Not on this one haha it went backwards.
      06-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #77
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't believe you can take the level reading in motion. You must be stopped and on a level surface. That is the just the electric way of replacing the dipstick. And it takes longer then being able to do it manually. So i ask any of those who say technology is advancing?? Not on this one haha it went backwards.
In my E90, it definitely lets me check the reading while in motion. That said, it's perfectly possible it just saves the reading from the last time the car was stopped and level.

The fact that you have to drive the car around for a few minutes before you can get a reading is definitely not great, but I don't think the point of the feature is to tell you that your oil is too low to safely run the engine. It's to tell you that it's time to add a quart. I assume (hope?) an idiot light would turn on if the oil pressure were severely low.

Also, I always figured the electronic method was more reliable than the dipstick method, since the conditions of the measurement are pretty consistent (warmed up engine + engine running). With a dipstick, you can get a different reading depending on whether you check your oil when the engine is cold vs. warmed up.

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 05:24 PM   #78
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
In my E90, it definitely lets me check the reading while in motion. That said, it's perfectly possible it just saves the reading from the last time the car was stopped and level.

The fact that you have to drive the car around for a few minutes before you can get a reading is definitely not great, but I don't think the point of the feature is to tell you that your oil is too low to safely run the engine. It's to tell you that it's time to add a quart. I assume (hope?) an idiot light would turn on if the oil pressure were severely low.

Also, I always figured the electronic method was more reliable than the dipstick method, since the conditions of the measurement are pretty consistent (warmed up engine + engine running). With a dipstick, you can get a different reading depending on whether you check your oil when the engine is cold vs. warmed up.
mmm i thought the dipstick was designed to check the oil cold so you know how much you have put into the car or what was needed. I never checked the oil while the engine was running with a dipstick. It was used for a measurement when the oil was all back in the oil pan.
How does the electronic work? What is it measuring as if the car is running the oil is being pumped through the engine and not all in the oil pan anymore.
      06-10-2014, 06:42 PM   #79
danimal
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mmm i thought the dipstick was designed to check the oil cold so you know how much you have put into the car or what was needed. I never checked the oil while the engine was running with a dipstick. It was used for a measurement when the oil was all back in the oil pan.
How does the electronic work? What is it measuring as if the car is running the oil is being pumped through the engine and not all in the oil pan anymore.
I don't know, but in this particular case, I assume the engineers at BMW know what they're doing. Can you imagine the fallout if BMWs began having engine failures do to inadequate oil level?

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #80
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
I don't know, but in this particular case, I assume the engineers at BMW know what they're doing. Can you imagine the fallout if BMWs began having engine failures do to inadequate oil level?
I don't doubt Bmw engineers know what there doing. But is it more expensive for a technology that makes checking the oil slower? ha ha. It's interesting why some of there models have a temp gauge and some do not. Just curious to know what the thinking is on that. My friends 335xi has a temp gauge why not the m325i being its supposedly the new enthusiast drivers car? I'm not to worried about it just always curious what the thinking is behind the decisions.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #81
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

nachob comment was directed at me, and i will respond, though I also agree with bradleyland. First, I don't keep cars for 5 or 10 years so the overheating issues at 80k miles do not affect me. Second, while I prefer a full suite of gauges, it is not a deal breaker for me. I monitor what I need through my cell phone (and I am 53 so if i can do anyone can). The bottom line is that BMW sells cars and in car sales I guarantee you that no oil dipstick or temp gauge cracks the top 50 of what buyers want. So they are removed for efficiency sake (and once less hole in an engine has to ai in design/manufacturing.

That said, any car I own that I wanted to keep long term, I would simply add any gauge I wanted, not hard or expensive. My Corvair, which has two idiot lights had a broken cylinder head thermister, so I got another one and installed it myself so I could monitor head temp. If I ever tracked my 235i I would add whayt I needed.

Finally this argument that I need a temp gauge to know when I can redlline and drive fast is idiotic. Wait ten minutes, the car does have a clock in case you need a gauge to tell you that.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #82
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
nachob comment was directed at me, and i will respond, though I also agree with bradleyland. First, I don't keep cars for 5 or 10 years so the overheating issues at 80k miles do not affect me. Second, while I prefer a full suite of gauges, it is not a deal breaker for me. I monitor what I need through my cell phone (and I am 53 so if i can do anyone can). The bottom line is that BMW sells cars and in car sales I guarantee you that no oil dipstick or temp gauge cracks the top 50 of what buyers want. So they are removed for efficiency sake (and once less hole in an engine has to ai in design/manufacturing.

That said, any car I own that I wanted to keep long term, I would simply add any gauge I wanted, not hard or expensive. My Corvair, which has two idiot lights had a broken cylinder head thermister, so I got another one and installed it myself so I could monitor head temp. If I ever tracked my 235i I would add whayt I needed.

Finally this argument that I need a temp gauge to know when I can redlline and drive fast is idiotic. Wait ten minutes, the car does have a clock in case you need a gauge to tell you that.
I think most of want a temp gauge for just knowing the health of our cars. I think most in this thread specifically are guys who DIY. So being able to keep an eye on the health of your car is a feature we have come accustom to. Now i agree with you, one can use there phone with a Bluetooth ODB connection or get a separate temp gauge.
My question is why does one model get the temp gauge and another doesn't. Just very curious to what the engineer/designers where thinking when deciding not to have a temp gauge or any other gauges for that matter.
If there was no temp gauge across the models then i would say ok hopefully technology is taking care of it.
      06-11-2014, 07:29 AM   #83
Ritz42
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 & R56

Quote:
I think most of want a temp gauge for just knowing the health of our cars. I think most in this thread specifically are guys who DIY. So being able to keep an eye on the health of your car is a feature we have come accustom to. Now i agree with you, one can use there phone with a Bluetooth ODB connection or get a separate temp gauge.
My question is why does one model get the temp gauge and another doesn't. Just very curious to what the engineer/designers where thinking when deciding not to have a temp gauge or any other gauges for that matter.
If there was no temp gauge across the models then i would say ok hopefully technology is taking care of it.
What I'm curious to see is if the move to having idrive in all future BMW's will lead to them offering digital gauges for temp a la the GTR. That would be most excellent, particularly if there was a nice level of customization there. Based on the repeative comments of some posters in particular, this might be the easiest way for BMW to appease the anti-screen but pro-gauge crowd.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 08:30 AM   #84
Jerich0
Love to Drive
Rep
Drives: X4 & M4

If someone could reprogram the instrument cluster to show oil temperature instead of the MPG meter under velocimeter it could work... But only for the extended cluster people... You guys think it possible?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:31 PM   #85
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep

I no that this info is not reported over the obd-ii port so less likely to be available by coding.

"I think most of want a temp gauge for just knowing the health of our cars.." We represent less than 1% of BMW buyers. The vast majority could care less and that is why BMW takes it out...it allocates resources for what the majority want.

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #86
bman6074
Major
Rep

Quote:
I no that this info is not reported over the obd-ii port so less likely to be available by coding.

"I think most of want a temp gauge for just knowing the health of our cars.." We represent less than 1% of BMW buyers. The vast majority could care less and that is why BMW takes it out...it allocates resources for what the majority want.
I agree its for the majority that don't care about temp gauge but that doesn't really explain why some models have it and some don't. So not so sure BMW is allocating things for the masses.

The one thing i noticed is the cluster in a 335 is a bit larger then in the M235i. That is the only thing i can see why they didn't put in the gauge. The design took precedence and they probably don't want to make a smaller temp gauge when they have containers full of the standard size already . Just guessing at things here. Would be cool to know the exact reason tho.
      06-11-2014, 08:50 PM   #87
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

A couple of points. As far as I know when the 335 was introduced in 2007 it had an oil cooler on all cars with the sport option, my 2007 E93 335 did but you had to have the sport option. I rarely checked engine oil temp and when I did it wasn't to see if it was warm it was to see if it was overheating in heavy traffic which it never did. Having driven BMW's for 20 years including 3 E46 M3's you learn they need to warm up before you push them. I really don't need a gauge to tell me this. If I pull out of my neighborhood and need to get up to speed quickly because someone came over the hill and is bearing down on me I could give a shit about what a needle says I'm going to punch it. If someone is dumb enough to start a cold engine on any car and run the shit out all the time then a gauge really doesn't matter. Common sense tells me how long it takes to warm up to an acceptable level. Would a gauge be nice, yes. Is a gauge going to change my driving habits, no. To me the biggest benefit is not the warm up stage but for overheating. I think the range on the gauge was a little off on the 335 because actually the car was already warm on the 335 before the needle moved into the artificially high range that was displayed. Not sure what the range on the display is on the M235 is since mine doesn't have one. This was actually addressed by some car magazines some years ago regarding the oil temp range on the 335 being higher than needed to show your car was adequately warmed up.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #88
rayploy
Rep
Drives: 335D

Do you guys know about the secret menu?
Press down the mileage reset button, while starting your car.
The unlock code is the last four digits of your vin added together .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0