THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning LSD info

View Poll Results: Will you get the LSD?
Yes 37 42.53%
Pass 50 57.47%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

03-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #67
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Again....is it worth the $3500+
There are cheaper alternatives, but if there was no other choice, I'd still get it - some of the cost will be returned when you sell the car (some buyers will seek out an LSD car and will be willing for pay more for a nice one).
      03-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #68
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Just a heads up, if you were to purchase a re manufactured STOCK rear end for the M235, MSRP is just under 2k. Look it up on realoem.com

So, buy the LSD, replace yours, sell it on Ebay. You only pay 1k for an LSD. Now stop whining.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #69
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
Just a heads up, if you were to purchase a re manufactured STOCK rear end for the M235, MSRP is just under 2k. Look it up on realoem.com

So, buy the LSD, replace yours, sell it on Ebay. You only pay 1k for an LSD. Now stop whining.
Who's going to want a stock open diff? It won't fit on the E series cars and the F3x cars have the same final drive ratio.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #70
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Who's going to want a stock open diff? It won't fit on the E series cars and the F3x cars have the same final drive ratio.
Exactly, someone else who is going the aftermarket route can get a spare to put back in or mod. Also, dealer may want it for a spare. Never know. The parts business on ebay is plentiful.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #71
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenderhof
...and the McLaren P1 has an open diff?
And electric motors that torque vector.

Reading through this whole thing...sort of an odd cross section of ppl replying.

Folks who want a near-M car but scoff at the ability to add an M diff (one if the key M ingredients). I can empathize if you've never driven a RWD car with a properly sorted rear end...but suggesting that your money is better spent on infotech or wheels...step down to the 228i, you'll be happier $/$.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #72
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3 View Post
And electric motors that torque vector.

Reading through this whole thing...sort of an odd cross section of ppl replying.

Folks who want a near-M car but scoff at the ability to add an M diff (one if the key M ingredients). I can empathize if you've never driven a RWD car with a properly sorted rear end...but suggesting that your money is better spent on infotech or wheels...step down to the 228i, you'll be happier $/$.
It is a weird cross section. We had our 135i and M Coupe when I lived in California and I hated trying to drive the E82 hard on fun roads, it was always trying to vaporize the inside rear wheel. Sure, some of that was my fault, as I was accustomed to being able to ask for power and having the LSD sort it out, I could have just learned to stay off the power, but what exactly was the point of even having the power if that's the answer?

Now that we're in Texas, where nearly all turns are right angles and there aren't anywhere near the same amount of fun roads, it's much less of an issue, but even just driving aggressively in city traffic, it will still be advantageous. There's a reason Miatas, BRZ's and other cars with less power still have LSD's either standard or optional, and even cars like the Cayman with much more advantageous weight balances have them available.

The P1 works around it with the electric motors and more software code than BMW probably has in the i8.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #73
Individualizer
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post

I guess your German isn't that good, is it?

Mit der Markteinführung im März bietet BMW zudem ein mechanisches Sperrdifferenzial an. Die mit zwei elektronisch geregelten Lamellenkupplungen ausgestattete Traktionshilfe (maximal 30 Prozent Sperrwirkung) lässt sich jedoch nicht ab Werk einbauen. Vielmehr wird sie über BMW-Händler als Zubehörteil für happige 2.800 Euro verkauft und muss gegen das Serien-Differenzial getauscht werden.

So, the price is about $3500 but you have to trade in your standard diff!

On topic, the price is high but you can't compare it to Quaife LSD. Some interesting info is found here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788992
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #74
F30form
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Individualizer View Post
I guess your German isn't that good, is it?

Mit der Markteinführung im März bietet BMW zudem ein mechanisches Sperrdifferenzial an. Die mit zwei elektronisch geregelten Lamellenkupplungen ausgestattete Traktionshilfe (maximal 30 Prozent Sperrwirkung) lässt sich jedoch nicht ab Werk einbauen. Vielmehr wird sie über BMW-Händler als Zubehörteil für happige 2.800 Euro verkauft und muss gegen das Serien-Differenzial getauscht werden.

So, the price is about $3500 but you have to trade in your standard diff!

On topic, the price is high but you can't compare it to Quaife LSD. Some interesting info is found here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788992

Uh, Maybe in Europe. Can you point to any official American literature that states that?
Appreciate 0