THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2-series cons/pros/bugs/observations

07-26-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i MW/CR

hi everyone, I thought it would be nice to have a thread related to user observations. Here is my input:

I won't post pros, it's an awesome ride, just outstanding. but I want to point out possible problems. and here they are:

1) heat build up.
my cup holder is already suffering from that. try leaving an empty metal mug in there for a little - you will notice that the mug became very warm. i live in Miami, and all my drinks are always cold/iced drinks. i believe this is a first design flaw. i noticed a big heat build up under the back sit. you can notice that by opening small black lids with metal loops. try touching those loops, they are crazy hot (at least in my car), which means that all the metal frame gets heat up by the exhaust system, no proper heat isolation.

2) BMW iDrive does not work properly with iOS 7. to be specific - text messaging does not work, bluetooth audio drops all the time. this is not only my car, i researched online and the issue is well-known.

3) brake pads - just o m g, seriously? non-ceramic? i have to pay twice out of my pocket now to throw away the garbage pads that they put in the car and buy ceramic, and pay for an installation again. And they really call this an MP brakes? this is dumb.

4) there is a small compartment near the cigarette lighter. does anyone know what that is for? there is almost no room inside. not an ashtray for sure, then what is it? lol

5) active headlights are decoded for USA, make sure you code that back to enjoy this wonderful feature.

...to be continued.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

2) text messaging works fine.... you probably don't have it configured correctly... what issue are you having? bluetooth audio does drop though....

3) it's cause it's the ultimate brake dust machine...

5) active headlights (lights will swivel left and right following steering input) are not decoded.... what's decoded is variable light distribution that's another thing
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:44 AM   #3
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
2) text messaging works fine.... you probably don't have it configured correctly... what issue are you having? bluetooth audio does drop though....

3) it's cause it's the ultimate brake dust machine...

5) active headlights (lights will swivel left and right following steering input) are not decoded.... what's decoded is variable light distribution that's another thing
yes, i called it wrong. about text messaging, i tried everything already, even followed the steps from youtube (nothing special there though), the system does not pick up messages, regardless of what I do. maybe because i send those messages to myself from my phone? lol
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

text messages or emails ?

check: Setting -> Bluetooth -> Press on the "i" next to the car's connection "BMW XXXXX" and then "Show Notifications".

Last edited by pikcachu; 07-26-2014 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
text messages or emails ?

check: Setting -> Bluetooth -> Press on the "i" next to the car's connection "BMW XXXXX" and then "Show Notifications".
dude, thank you very much, but I am an IT. have gone through these steps immediately after i noticed the malfunction. solution is not that easy. tried re-pairing too. amd changing phone setting, and notification center too. and by the way, in order for bluetooth audio to not drop, you have to disable data sync between the car and a phone (in case you want to fix this)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

well i get text messages on 7.1.2

Do you have office checked on you BT settings ?
Attached Images

Last edited by pikcachu; 07-26-2014 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:06 AM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad-Miami View Post
dude, thank you very much, but I am an IT. have gone through these steps immediately after i noticed the malfunction. solution is not that easy. tried re-pairing too. amd changing phone setting, and notification center too. and by the way, in order for bluetooth audio to not drop, you have to disable data sync between the car and a phone (in case you want to fix this)
you mean disable "synch contacts" on the bluetooth settings ?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you mean disable "synch contacts" on the bluetooth settings ?
yes, in your iPhone. if you do that, your audio will be working fine. not really a fix, but at least a workaround.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
well i get text messages on 7.1.2

Do you have office checked on you BT settings ?
hiw did you get to that menu with office, show images and other stuff? i am not very fluent with iDrive yet, my last bmw didn't have one.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:42 AM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Telephone - Bluetooth devices - hit "option" button on idrive - Configure bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:45 AM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
yes, in your iPhone. if you do that, your audio will be working fine. not really a fix, but at least a workaround.
I'll give it a try.... but i think i rather plug it to the USB where there is no audio issue than not having contacts synched.....
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 02:48 AM   #12
Vlad-Miami
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll give it a try.... but i think i rather plug it to the USB where there is no audio issue than not having contacts synched.....
agree, i have mine plugged all the time anyways, to keep it charging. regarding contacts - i had it synced once only, its enough. then turned off this function. still have all the contacts in a car, they just dont sync every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:40 AM   #13
e90post_user
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

My list of cons:
1. No memory for the last driving mode selection - it becomes now a habit to hit the button next to the gear lever upon startup to change it to "ECO...." j/k.
But it would be nice if I left it in "SPORT" before shutting the engine off, it would return to "SPORT" after I start the car again.
2. The steering, even in the proper mode, is still something to get accustomed to after coming from a hydraulic assisted steering rack vehicle. Especially so, in slow speeds.
3. The hill assist feature in 6mt. I appreciate the effort, but can we at least have a button to disable it? They did get rid off the "duck mode" button, give us the button to get rid off the hill assist!
4. Last but not least, the glove compartment lid - can someone in Munich design all compartment doors with the same locking "thung"? Why the glovebox's door is flimsy?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Guy's in IT and immediately assumes after a couple troubleshooting steps that the system is broken. Do you work help desk? Listen to pikcachu, he'll hook you up.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #15
mjposner
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 40i

small compartment near the cigarette lighter = coin holder. I lined mine with felt due to racket when driving boisterously.

I live just north of you and everything gets hot...its fricking south florida!

My Car Photo Blog: http://carfisheye.blogspot.com/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Use the cup holder in the door and not by the shifter, that's what I do.

I haven't noticed any problems with Bluetooth audio dropping, does it take a while to happen? Maybe I haven't used it enough because I usually connect through USB.

Text messages do come through, but only new ones after you're already connected, it won't sync previously received messages.

I don't understand the complaint about the Hill Assist, I've seen others talk about it to and don't understand what it interferes with...what would you gain if you could disable it?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••

My one complaint is the arm rest....seems it keeps sliding backwards unintentionally instead of staying pulled all the way forward.
      07-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner View Post
small compartment near the cigarette lighter = coin holder. I lined mine with felt due to racket when driving boisterously.

+1. South Florida is a damn oven lately!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjposner

Ftw
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
About the brake dust. This is normal for every BMW I have owned. Try Axis ceramic brakes. I will be changing to these also and yes it's a pain but I'm already used to it.

Active lighting works fine.

Cup holders is such an American thing. Mostly American cars get this right. I will have to check this out when I get my car back. And yes South florida is so HOT lately.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

1, only new text messages show and 2, you cannot actually be in the imessage screen cause the phone tags the message as read before the car sees it, and so it is no longer NEW.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

I haven't noticed any problems with Bluetooth audio dropping, does it take a while to happen?
takes about 1 minute and a half.... playing music stored on the iphone or tunein for example... but acording to Vlad only if you have "synch contacts" enabled (haven't verified it myself yet)

Last edited by pikcachu; 07-26-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #22
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
Guy's in IT and immediately assumes after a couple troubleshooting steps that the system is broken. Do you work help desk? Listen to pikcachu, he'll hook you up.
I feel like a drug dealer
Appreciate 0