THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum m235i - xDrive or RWD?

11-19-2015, 08:14 PM   #221
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I'm still super confused why anyone in Florida would want AWD though. Makes no sense when RWD is so good and you have neither hills nor cold temps.
It's brainwashing.. to make everyone thinkg (ahem, KNOW) that they NEED AWD or else they crash off into a ditch. Why do you think Subaru sales are so good? Advertising, and showing people something that makes them think they need it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #222
brennok
Rep
Drives: MKV R32

I have always been a FWD/AWD guy mainly due to budget in the past when small fast RWD cars weren't that common especially with a good auto, since manual is no longer an option for me. Also for the last 7-8 years I have been driving AWD and as a result was also shopping other AWD vehicles first. With the issues getting the Golf R I started looking at other vehicles like the S3, S4, WRX, and then stumbled across the M235i Xdrive.

Do I need AWD? No. Did driving the RWD M235i sell me on the car? Surprisingly no, but it didn't eliminate it either. It made me curious if I would enjoy the Xdrive more.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #223
Joe Schmoe
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive

Interesting debates on traction.

After much cross shopping and comparing to the M4, I purchased a M235iX this week...Pumped! I just joined the forums yesterday. I read a bunch of your comments pre-purchase and appreciate the opinions.

Comments: AWD is beneficial in snow/ice road conditions...mostly for STARTING...tires are more important for STOPPING. AWD systems help tremendously in cornering on ice and snow...but also on dry pavement. I have driven Subeys/RX7/RX8/MX5/F150/Rav4/Cayman S/911 Turbo and live in snowy conditions. AWD is not a requirement for me...mostly drive a RWD F150 in winters. My wife drives a 2013 MX5 year around (with winter tires) with no prolems (other than fogging up)

With the BMW cars the AWD system felt faster, not just from starts, but on longer radius higher speed turns (long on/off ramps). I was able to break the rear the M4/RWD M235 at ~95-110km/h whereas the Xdrive continued acceleration well above this speed without breaking loose...you could feel the power shift forward.

It surprised me that the difference was that great. The AT vs MT is secondary to me. But I have to say the BMW AT blew the S3/AMG 45 away. Both the competitors have severe shift lag...I thought it was turbo lag at first, and then realized both systems were trying to think of a gear when you stomp on the gas...I would buy either of those cars in a Manual only.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:14 AM   #224
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I'm still super confused why anyone in Florida would want AWD though. Makes no sense when RWD is so good and you have neither hills nor cold temps.
Being a former Lotus Elise owner I'm no fan of extra weight and completely get why some prefer RWD, but I can tell you at least one reason...the other day in the rain I had to pull out from a shopping center driveway into heavy highway traffic speeding along at 60-70 MPH. If our car were RWD I would not have dared make the maneuver i did, and would have been sitting there for quite a while waiting for a break in the traffic. There's a reason the AWD 0-60 times are faster...it's called traction, traction, traction.
Appreciate 0