THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BMW JB Stage 1 - My 37,900 cents

06-26-2016, 11:22 PM   #23
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
OP, you're in CT

Get EuroDynamic | CBTuning to flash your car or maybe they can do a backend flash for you. They're in PA and CT, @eurodynamic @cbtuning on IG

BrenTuning if you were in Boston

Enzo in NYC/NJ of course!
Hey man! Thanks for the heads up! Where the hell were you 2 mos ago when I bought my car man? LOL

Can you pvt me with some additional info? Did you have your car done?
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:56 AM   #24
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

Hi thanks for review. Good to see someone at last posting up dyno figures, as its good to see if any increase...30 bhp not bad for small cost.
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
I agree with the posters talking about the lag/jumping/jerkiness of shifting.

I thought I really liked the Stage 1 until recently when I noticed that the lag is significant when going WOT from a stop. I have a DP and Intake, and the turbo in first gear takes a while to spool.

Thinking I am going JB4 as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:37 PM   #26
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
I agree with the posters talking about the lag/jumping/jerkiness of shifting.

I thought I really liked the Stage 1 until recently when I noticed that the lag is significant when going WOT from a stop. I have a DP and Intake, and the turbo in first gear takes a while to spool.

Thinking I am going JB4 as well.
If you're talking about "jerky shifting", do you have an automatic?

I have a manual transmission, a 2016, 2 month old M235i, brand new JB1 and I am experiencing:

- no jerky shifting
- no lag from a stop nor while driving - the car seems to pull for days. Even in 5th gear & lower RPMs. (And my dyno graph supports it. More on that in a separate reply.)
- first gear, my car MOVES. And I am otherwise stock. (Until 12:30 PM today, when I installed my AFE cold-air intake).

Once again, if you want to post a review of YOUR experience with a JB1, do it elsewhere. This review is MY review of MY experience meant to help people.

Other posters' comments serve zero purpose except to confuse.

Vendors & BMS themselves post on this forum & others that the JB1 does not cause jerky shifting, and that map 1 on the JB4 & the JB1 are essentially the same.

And if you have downpipes & all sorts of other bolt-ons, it's recommended you go with the JB4 anyway.

It's OK to disagree - but post it in your own thread titled "MY REVIEW OF THE JB1".
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 05:50 PM   #27
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I heard back from the speed shop that did the dyno run AND from BMS themselves today, who asked to see my dyno graph.

From Excelerate: "The blue line is stock, so there's a visibly big difference between that and the red/purple lines. Gains are about 30tq and 25hp depending on where in the rpm range you're looking.

Max horsepower at redline was the same, but you gained 22wtq. These numbers are with correction which are much more accurate as they are wheel horsepower."

And this is on a Mustang Dyno.

I specifically asked BMS why towards the top end the max HP matched, which differs from the dynojet graphs on their site. I wasn't questioning the JB1 - I was actually curious if this was a function of the car, the dyno, or because we removed the JB1 without allowing the ECU to readjust.

His reply was: "That does look normal for a Mustang dyno graph. Very good gains overall!"

There you have it folks! Seems to me the numbers prove the JJB1 does its job & does it well. This is a smooth, consistent power curve.

And, the graph proves out what I felt.

Now, onto the AFE cold air intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:13 PM   #28
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
You kidding me? You posted this review on a public forum, so I'm assuming you did so knowing you'd garner a discussion around the topic. The fact that you're getting worked up over a few opposing views from people that own the product you're reviewing, is a bit strange.

So as I stated before, the lag is what is causing me to sell the stage 1. Maybe you don't notice it yet because you only have an intake, but I assure you it happens.

Also, YOUR review based on YOUR experience meant to help people, is doing the exact opposite if you shoot down opposing viewpoints.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #29
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You kidding me? You posted this review on a public forum, so I'm assuming you did so knowing you'd garner a discussion around the topic. The fact that you're getting worked up over a few opposing views from people that own the product you're reviewing, is a bit strange.

So as I stated before, the lag is what is causing me to sell the stage 1. Maybe you don't notice it yet because you only have an intake, but I assure you it happens.

Also, YOUR review based on YOUR experience meant to help people, is doing the exact opposite if you shoot down opposing viewpoints.

I am saying - post YOUR OWN REVIEW. As a new forum member I can't stand it when I am reading a post of some guy trying to help others by detailing his experience, only to have other forum members jack his threads with unsupported opinions/comments. It's simple - post your own review. More helpful than a one sentence, unsupported comment in a really informative post. I even posted dyno graphs, posts from other forums, posts from vendors, comments from the manufacturer... Again, all I am saying is - it's more helpful if you don't jack a thread & post more informative, complete reviews. Better for the forums & its members looking for help. One off comments just confuse & detract.

I only installed the intake today. I had the JB1 installed for a week when I posted the review, no intake.

I just noticed you have auto transmission in your notes about car specifics/mods. I have manual transmission which is probably why I am not experiencing any jerky transmission.

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-27-2016 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #30
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65
Quote:

I am saying - post YOUR OWN REVIEW.
Nah, I'll continue to post up my experiences here thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #31
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nah, I'll continue to post up my experiences here thanks.
Good for you!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #32
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
congrats. i'll be looking forward to your dyno numbers. what's next? exhaust? intake?
Dyno graph posted, with some comments from the speed shop & BMS.

And I caved... I got an intake. aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 Pro 5R.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #33
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MASH65 View Post
Dyno graph posted, with some comments from the speed shop & BMS.

And I caved... I got an intake. aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 Pro 5R.
25 horse and 30 torque is a nice bump. I would have liked to have seen a run bone stock vs. JB1 (w/o intake) I'm guessing the results would have been similar. How does your car sound with the M performance exhaust?
Appreciate 3
      06-28-2016, 11:57 AM   #34
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Once again, if you want to post a review of YOUR experience with a JB1, do it elsewhere. This review is MY review of MY experience meant to help people....

Other posters' comments serve zero purpose except to confuse....

It's OK to disagree - but post it in your own thread titled "MY REVIEW OF THE JB1".
Kind of a weird approach considering that you're posting on a public forum. If you don't like the comments and the debate then I'd suggest not posting.

My 2016 M235 6MT isn't tuned so I have no direct experience to report here with a JB1, but I can offer some insight for others to consider. From what I've gathered on this forum and other BMW forums is that the JB1 on the N55 motors can cause some on/off sensations in power, "jerkiness", and/or increased turbo lag. I've read posts from automatic AND 6MT N55 turbo BMW owners reporting this issue over the years. Most people don't post about it until months after the install and some reported that the issue wasn't there at first, but became progressively worse over time. BMW's are funny like that.

What many don't understand about these turbo motors is that BMW has gone to great lengths to make the power delivery feel naturally aspirated. That means BMW's very smart DME (ECU) manipulates many things with the turbo, wastegate, VANOs, etc. to deliver a very linear power curve rather than the more common big wallop of turbo power and that slightly crude on/off power like many other "cheaper" turbo motors may exhibit such as those from Subaru or Ford. BMW wants the motor to feel like a small V8 in terms of strong low end power and a good linear pull to 6500-7000rpms. It's impressive. Porsche, Benz, and even Ferrari do this with there turbo motors as well. They intentionally choose to neuter power at bit at the sake of what they believe is improved drivability. This type of power delivery is also preferred in road racing where you don't want a sledge hammer of power to easily overwhelm the tires.

With that said, it's pretty dang easy to extract more power out of these motors because of the factory tuning strategy; however, you loose some of that power delivery linearity. The harder you push these motors in terms of power gains, the more the power delivery becomes more crude and it can lead to touchy throttle/turbo spool issues. It's the nature of the beast. With the JB1, the tuning strategy is slightly different than the JB4 thus the turbo spool behavior can be more abrupt than Map 1 on the JB4 (so I've read on multiple accounts).

Based on the dyno plot presented in this thread, the JB1 made solid gains in the midrange which is where you spend most of your time accelerating. That means the gains will be realized in a drag race, especially in the 1/4 mile. Secondly, the runs were done on Mustang dyno which is a load variable dyno. The numbers tend to be lower on Mustang dynos and for whatever reason (I have no explanation here), Mustang dynos tend neuter topend power a bit compared to something like a Dynojet dyno. All I know is that I've seen many comparison dynos of the same car, same mods run on a Mustang and Dynojet, and the Dynojet plot tends to show slightly more power gained in the upper rpms. If this particular car was run on a Dynojet, I'm pretty certain the gains would be around 35-45whp/wtq in the midrange and around 10-15whp/wtq from 5500-6500rpms which is common for those running the JB1. Either way, the car is legitimately faster now and the JB1 isn't pushing the N55 or it's turbo very hard. The powerband is still relatively linear.
Appreciate 3
      06-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #35
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have zero issue with contrarian positions. I do have issues with 1 or 2 sentence unsubstantiated tripe that appear to be thread-jacks & don't offer any real insight, except to be negative. And that, to me, is how those posts appear.

I am all for people posting their experiences. But when a post says things like "this is misleading" or "fluffy" or doesn't expand on the 1-2 sentence comments, well - it just seems like a negative comment/thread jack & serves zero purpose except to cast doubt to readers looking for help.

My point about objecting to the "debate" is that it's a one or two sentence bit of blurb versus my rather in-depth, first hand experience after a week using the JB1. I notice no jerkiness (because I know how to shift) and I notice no introduction of any lag whatsoever.

The car pulls strongly & is super friggin fun. It was before, but even more so now. And if in a few months something feels wrong, I'll write to BMS - they may want to check out the tune. There could be something wrong. Unless you've done that, well... don't say anything.

At least in your post above, you went in depth with regards to reported experiences "over the long term". I found so little reviews of the JB1 on this here forum, that is why I made my post. As I stated in my OP, I was 1 week into my JB1 experience & posted my review.

Unless & until those people experiencing issues have sent their JB1's back to BMS & had them check the unit out, you can't unequivocally say it's the JB1. It could be the person's driving habits, the fuel or something else that's been modded on the car. It's not sufficient to say "when I put on the JB4, the issues went away." I've read over & over Map 1 JB4 = JB1. And, JB4 does better with FBO modded cars; JB1 is better with stock, or CAI/axle-back exhaust only.

To say the JB1 is at fault/is causing issues, is unfair to BMS & to folks reading these posts for help.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:46 AM   #36
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
25 horse and 30 torque is a nice bump. I would have liked to have seen a run bone stock vs. JB1 (w/o intake) I'm guessing the results would have been similar. How does your car sound with the M performance exhaust?
I would say my car really is bone stock because the M Peformance exhaust doesn't add power. I added the intake AFTER I got the dyno. I bought it the day I was there & received it Monday 6/27. I posted a review of that, too.

Lemme tell ya this, tho - the MP exhaust is LOUD at WOT. I could not believe what it sounded like. I don't get to hear it being inside the car all the time when I am having my fun... But it had an aggressive growl/snarl. As Excelerate's dyno operator started accelerating, the exhaust just sang and then the higher RPMs, I was surprised & had a big smile on my face. It's downright mean. (Any exhaust will be at WOT, though, really.)

I know my neighbors hear it because as people walk passed my house when I start my car in my garage, they jump or turn to look what made that sound. (I always say it's the beans before I pardon myself...)

I think the AWE tuning one sounds pretty awesome. But I've only heard the youtube vids. I didn't get the AWE because it doesn't fit the M Perf Diffuser for the M Perf Exhaust, which is what I had. You can mod the outlet pipe, but I didn't feel like doing all that.

I've read some posts about other exhausts that are really loud & have a sharper sound. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Pick your favorite that's in your budget & you'll be happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #37
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I have zero issue with contrarian positions. I do have issues with 1 or 2 sentence unsubstantiated tripe that appear to be thread-jacks & don't offer any real insight, except to be negative. And that, to me, is how those posts appear.

I am all for people posting their experiences. But when a post says things like "this is misleading" or "fluffy" or doesn't expand on the 1-2 sentence comments, well - it just seems like a negative comment/thread jack & serves zero purpose except to cast doubt to readers looking for help.

My point about objecting to the "debate" is that it's a one or two sentence bit of blurb versus my rather in-depth, first hand experience after a week using the JB1. I notice no jerkiness (because I know how to shift) and I notice no introduction of any lag whatsoever.
Do you work for BMS or something? Never seen anyone object so aggressively to opposing viewpoints. Still not sure why you are so vehemently defending a tune for which many people have clearly reported trouble with. You mention readers "looking for help"...hate to break it to you, but highlighting the downfalls of a product also help people make a decision.

Next, you mention your rather in-depth review, for which you've hand first hand experience with...
1) Your review offers about 4 sentences of digestible content related to the actual performance of the JB1.
2) 1 week of driving with the JB1 is not a great sample size considering you are still in the honeymoon phase with the tune. As you get more miles on it, I am sure you will start to see some more of its downfalls, as we have alluded to.
3) Why would someone write a novel, when they can get their point across in 1-2 sentences?

Lastly, patronizing people ("because I know how to shift") is never going to help get your point across. Let the discussion progress organically, don't try to minimize other people's experiences because you disagree.
Appreciate 2
      06-29-2016, 01:32 PM   #38
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I tried & tried searching for all those negative posts. I found one where a JB 1 user said the jerkiness & lag of the N55 he experiences with his daily driver stock 335i are gone with the JB1.

Another clown insisted his issues were the JB 1. Forum members said probably your fuel pump. Your issues sound like fuel pump. He still insisted JB1, as he is posting about his car needing to be towed to the dealer to get ummm...
His fuel pump replaced. At least he was honest in his post.

Most posts I found even remotely talking about issues were from 2008, 2009 and/or on modded cars. To which both Mike (XPH & N54) replied, stock you should get JB4, JB4.

I found more posts from folks 12 mos & 1000's of miles in saying no issues
And responding to peoples' concerns about negative posts with "no issues".

No, I don't work for BMS - I am saying posting anecdotes is meaningless and unfair to BMS & forum readers. I've not found any posts about jerkiness that can be shown to be directly related to the JB1, and same with lag. Those issues can come from driving, fuel, and a WHOLE HOST of other things previously mentioned.

I didn't say 1 week qualifies me as some sort of expert. I said one week with the tune, here is my experience. I didn't know I had to wait 6 months to post my experience or wait until I have a problem.

But when I DO have a problem, because I am a fair consumer & I want to help BMS make a better product, I will go to BMS FIRST. Then make a full report of what happened in the forum - not just post negative BS because I don't agree with a review

And that's what this is about. My post about the AFE intake, cbalch's post says "now here is a post I can agree with." This makes his note here look like a negative thread jack for the sole purpose of he didn't like what he read, not that he was trying to help anyone.

I posted the comment about shifting because well... I don't see how a tune that affects boost affects shifting.

So, if users' one or 2 sentences posts about jerky shifting with the JB1 have merit, then the other posts saying the opposite do as well. And they come from what I would argue are more reliable sources. Those guys aren't trying g to upseLL the JB4 - they're telling users to get the JB1.

And I posted retorts from experienced vendors stating the JB1 does not cause jerky shifting. And that JB 1 = JB 4 map 1. Seems to me if one is jerky & laggy... so goes the other. (Or its all in one's head & one think one notices an improvement. The trouble with anecdotes.)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 02:36 PM   #39
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
And that's what this is about. My post about the AFE intake, cbalch's post says "now here is a post I can agree with." This makes his note here look like a negative thread jack for the sole purpose of he didn't like what he read, not that he was trying to help anyone.
If I had anything negative to say about the AFE intake I clearly would have used your post as an avenue to express that. I don't, so I didn't. Rather, I helped drive the conversation in a manner that was honest to my experience. Same thing I have done on this post, many other posts before yours, and I am sure many posts after yours.

For some reason, you still seem to be wildly defensive over an inanimate object. This actually would have been an informative thread if you engaged in more of a dialogue rather than attacking others for posting. I'm sure it will sink to the bottom now that you've made a mess of it. I am certainly done with the thread.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #40
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

MASH65, please try and update this thread with you honest experience regarding the JB1. It would be very beneficial to the group. I'm with you, detail is key, so as long as it's honest and not sugar coated. What has pissed me over the years is people writing glowing reviews about the positives but glossing over the negatives/compromises.

And yeah, short responses/statements with other insight is terribly annoying. It's the nature of the younger crowd.....or attorneys
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #41
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
MASH65, please try and update this thread with you honest experience regarding the JB1. It would be very beneficial to the group. I'm with you, detail is key, so as long as it's honest and not sugar coated. What has pissed me over the years is people writing glowing reviews about the positives but glossing over the negatives/compromises.

And yeah, short responses/statements with other insight is terribly annoying. It's the nature of the younger crowd.....or attorneys

Excuse me, but please refer to my original post and the dyno graphs/results, which I also posted. That's pretty objective. I wrote about how strong the car pulled, how it made me grin ear to ear, responsive throttle. And that the car was "verily quickerer." Short of going into in-depth engineering reviews, not sure what else an end user can do/say about a purchase.

Sure is a lot more informative than "it's jerky shifting" and "fluffy" and "feels laggy".

I am now 2 weeks into my JB1 & I still have no negatives to report.

So I am curious. I can find TONS TONS TONS of posts of folks posting issues with the JB4. All kinds of problems, including engines blowing up (Gasp! It's out there folks!) So much so, it pretty much made me say no to it - until I contacted say... Mike at XPH to ask questions & read Terry's replies to all the posts.

And what makes one discount all of those JB4 negative posts, but jack my thread to post anecdotal accounts of "issues" with the JB1 and then call me out for saying these thread jackers on this post are serving no purpose?

I can't figure it out... must be just BS.... Or...

1) Terry asks for logs & no one posts them, making the complain not credible.
2) One guy said his JB1 (not 4) caused problems - turns out his vacuum tube came loose.
3) Another guy posted about mechanical failure error in a JB1 thread - and he didn't even have a JB1 installed.
And yes, you get that error at first, like I say in my OP - but once you clear it, it's gone. It has yet to come back. (If it does, before I post anything, I will contact BMS! That is the right thing to do!)

4) No one has illustrated anywhere, except in the cases where they post they sent their tuner back to BMS & there was a problem, that the JB4 caused the issue.

Ergo - my point. Until you can OBJECTIVELY show the issue is attributable to the tune & nothing else, then keep yer yap shut. I CAN objectively show the JB1 has improved my car in the manner I talk about & to say I am wrong about it or misleading anyone is absolutely nonsense.

And if & when I have an issue, before I post a SINGLE THING ABOUT IT - I go to BMS to talk about it & get it checked out/resolved. It could be there IS an issue BMS has no idea about - posting an unfounded anecdotal negative comment does help the cause. Sending in the mod & then posting information about it DOES. Another user needs to know there is a problem that needs fixing (not bitched about).

We all want BMS to keep making the JB1 & JB4 (so if I worked for BMS, then why on Earth would I so vociferously support the JB1, but not the JB4?) And, we want those guys to keep supporting us & fixing & improving their products.

Posting unfounded negative comments serves no purpose. Period. And you belittle the company & its products for no real reason other than "I read somewhere" "or it felt like it". If you can say it felt like, I can say I feel no jerkiness because I know how to shift.

And pssst... know the meaning of patronizing. You can't be patronizing when speaking about yourself. You're patronizing when you put someone down with a backhanded compliment. What I did is called - being a sarcastic a$$ to get your panties in a bunch. Thanks for taking the bait.

And EVERYONE agrees, BMS has fantastic support, among the most popular proven, road-tested tunes and among the most fun tunes out there.

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-29-2016 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Stoopid autocorrect keeps changing BMS to BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #42
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on CBalch.. he has helped me when I first joined.

I was more pissed off at the other dude telling me I was misleading people. So I apologize for taking it out on you.

But I still prefer objectivity. As someone who seeks info on this forum a LOT, one & two liner negative comments only make a noob hesitate. And then bug the hell out of the vendor & manufacturer for help. (Thank god they're patient.)

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #43
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Appreciate 3
      06-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #44
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To be totally transparent lest I am chastised for not being honest.

When I first installed the JB1, I got an engine error about drivetrain malfunction. There are posts about this on other forums sites & supposedly, is typical, and also happens with the JB4 (read the forums).

You're supposed to clear it (hit OK), drive around MODERATELY, and the code clears.

It cleared & after 2 weeks, still has not come back.

I thought I mentioned that in my original post, but it wasn't there. Sorry if I misguided anyone there.

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-29-2016 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0