THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning BMW JB Stage 1 - My 37,900 cents

06-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

BMW JB Stage 1 - My 37,900 cents

Well hello there everyone!

I just purchased the BMW JB stage 1 from Mike over at Extreme Powerhouse (what an awesome dude!) and I thought I would give a quick review after having it installed for a week.

There are a lot of posts about the JB4, but not a whole lot about the JB1 & the M235i. I was gonna wait to say anything until I had the dynamometer runs done (which is tomorrow at 3PM) but I can't wait. So watch for dyno posts tomorrow. I am getting 3 runs. Will post pics of the graphs & a video of the runs.

Some info for you shared with me by Mike @ XPH.

- If you plan on no mods & you're a conservative sort like me, you can get the JB4, but the JB 1 is better suited for you. Cold air intakes, axle back exhaust, intercooler upgrade - AOK for the JB1. The JB1 cannot clear error codes, does not connect to the CAN bus & the boost cannot be adjusted.
- If you have or plan on getting down pipes/catless, muffler deletes, more intense engine mods, meth, use E85 - then the JB4 is for you. It connects to the CAN bus, keeps logs, you can clear error codes, it has adjustable parameters.

Installation: piece of cake. For god's sakes, if you pay anyone to install this for you, you should give me your car. You don't deserve it. Disconnecting the sensors was a tad bit tricky, but BE CAREFUL & take your time & they will separate. Connecting the unit couldn't be easier. The plugs line right up to where they're supposed to connect to the OEM sensors.

How I disconnected the sensors - I pressed on the barely noticeable tab on the back of the plug very carefully with a screwdriver & used a pair of pliers (again, very carefully & squeezing very gently) to pull the plugs out. Worked liked a charm.

I used removable zip ties so I could easily remove the unit & reuse the zip ties over & over.

Driveability: absolutely zero impact. The engine is still as smooth as before installation. This was probably my biggest concern & I can tell you my concerns were unfounded. You will read posts about folks complaining of "jerky shifting" & lag. Those folks have automatic transmissions. I can tell you manual transmission - no jerky shifting. And I am not experiencing any lag, or losing steam (yet). Bottom line is, even if it happens, I am still getting nice power/pull all through the RPM range & a thrill above stock. Exactly what I paid for.

Power delivery: I wouldn't say the stage 1 is a screamer, but I would say you will definitely notice throttle response has increased & it's nicely so. Power comes on quick, strong & brings nice big grins. You can certainly feel the difference. This very quick car is verily quickerer with the JB1 installed.

I have the Awron gauge but what I can't tell you is if it registers any increases to the boost, HP or torque readouts because well... I don't remember the peaks I hit without the JB1. With it - so far, I've hit 303 HP & 324 torque. I can't tell you if those are real numbers or readouts based on throttle position (which is what I hear the sport gauges in the BMW menu do). As I play more with the car & push it, I will take pics of the gauge's peak HP & torque readouts.

I am also pretty sure the turbo is louder. Could be that I was purposefully listening for it & I had my stereo off. I never drive with my stereo off.

The bad: I told myself going in, "this is all I'll need". HAHAHAHA! Nope! Now that I've felt this thing, I want more. But I don't want the JB4. I'd like to see BMS come out with a "JB2" something in between but as simple to install as the JB1 that adds a bit more HP & torque.

I'll be your guinea pig. C'mon - do it do it do it....
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-27-2016 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: correct HP & torque #'s
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
EuroDude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Garage List
2017 Ford GT350  [0.00]
congrats. i'll be looking forward to your dyno numbers. what's next? exhaust? intake?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
congrats. i'll be looking forward to your dyno numbers. what's next? exhaust? intake?
I already did an exhaust; chose the M-Performance exhaust. Since all indications are that exhausts really only change the sound, I went for the most cost effective change ( which was MP from Sun Motors).

EDIT: Cost was a factor because of all of the other mods I was doing, and because I opted for the LSD in my build. The stereo upgrades, the M Performance aero parts & paint job, the M Perf interior parts, the black kidney grills, the MP CF spoiler, the wheels, the tuner, window tint. (Holy crap, seeing all of that in writing...)

CAIs - that one is a tough one for me. Until I see a real user (read: not mfr) post a stock/post-intake dyno graph, I am not really going to do a CAI. Everything I've read about them says they add no gain to very minimal (unnoticeable) gain. Some even result in loss of power.

I don't want to see this thread turn into a debate on CAIs - so everyone, please refrain from doing that. Start a new thread, pretty please with sugar on top.

2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-23-2016 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 06:41 PM   #4
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

How much was MPE? What you paid to install it? Can you hear the difference inside the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Bleeped
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235

This is a pretty fluffy and somewhat misleading (perhaps not intentional) review. Generally folks who have tried BMS stage 1 (myself included, twice) report definite and very obvious throttle response lag. Upon tip in to throttle the car feels weak and laggy from a dead stop. Not so without the tune which is why I removed and sold mine (twice). My car is noticeably more responsive and lively WITHOUT the BMS stage 1. Now, I will state in manual mode in sport or sport plus it pulled a bit harder. It also launched hard with the stage 1. But in comfort mode during my daily commute my car certainly "felt" better without it. I didnt find it was worth ruining my driving experience for the little time I spent per week in other modes or even more rarely launching the car. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 10:31 PM   #6
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeped View Post
This is a pretty fluffy and somewhat misleading (perhaps not intentional) review. Generally folks who have tried BMS stage 1 (myself included, twice) report definite and very obvious throttle response lag. Upon tip in to throttle the car feels weak and laggy from a dead stop. Not so without the tune which is why I removed and sold mine (twice). My car is noticeably more responsive and lively WITHOUT the BMS stage 1. Now, I will state in manual mode in sport or sport plus it pulled a bit harder. It also launched hard with the stage 1. But in comfort mode during my daily commute my car certainly "felt" better without it. I didnt find it was worth ruining my driving experience for the little time I spent per week in other modes or even more rarely launching the car. Just my 2 cents.
Not sure how it's misleading if I am reporting my experience with this tune. I am experiencing no lag, no weakness from dead stop at all. I'll have the dynamometer reports tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 02:22 AM   #7
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport Pack

Garage List
Congrats and nice review!

Youve made me even more excited while waiting for my JB4 to arrive!

Subbd for the dyno results!

M
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:08 AM   #8
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
Congrats and nice review!

Youve made me even more excited while waiting for my JB4 to arrive!

Subbd for the dyno results!

M
Hey man - do you have any other mods on your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
MPE exhaust at the moment, waiting for my Catted Wagner DP which is on its way over, and im not sure if i want to bite the bullet on an injen intake, or get an intercooler/charge pipe first.

I will eventually go FBO, but Meth in Greece isnt really wide spread and im cautious to adopt it.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to do another quote/repost of this poster's comment about my review being "fluffy" and "misleading". I did another search of other forums for reviews of the JB stage 1 & found these comments from other buyers, as well as experienced & respected sellers. I wanted readers of my post to feel comfortable with what I am saying with my review.

With regards to comments you might be reading about "jerking shifting" I am guessing that has to be with regards to automatic tranny. I have the 6 speed. If folks are experiencing "jerky shifting" with a manual tranny, well... that's driver error.

So please take note of the similarities between my review & what others have said. Pretty uncanny. And then, take note of what the vendors are saying about the JB1 and JB4.

My appt at the speed shop is at 3PM folks!! Dyno results coming later so keep a watch out for them! The shop is over an hour from my house so I am thinking I'll have the results posted after I get back & eat dinner (8PM or so).

I'll post air temps & all that good stuff.

And I found out they use the Mustang Dynamometer. So it's gonna be important you focus on the delta, not the numbers themselves.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
Bleeped
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235

Hey your happy thats all that matters. I do not drive everyday at wot only and therefore feel bms stage 1 sucked for daily driving and responsiveness.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #12
2er
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Hey your happy thats all that matters. I do not drive everyday at wot only and therefore feel bms stage 1 sucked for daily driving and responsiveness.
Who drives in comfort mode

Just joking... We'll sort of, but I have never driven any car in comfort mode... Whether daily commute, or otherwise...
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #13
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JB4 map 1 on an otherwise stock car is the same as JB1 on an otherwise stock car. Operating even a modded car as a daily driver is a pretty mundane experience - it's when you open them up when the fun comes in.

So the real issue is that as a daily driver, the JB1 sucked, not that my review/experience was misleading or fluffy. Which would mean your original comment was pointless, so should have been kept to yourself, or put up in your own thread as your own review of the JB1. Right?

This thread is MY review of MY experience with the JB1. Ahem... cough cough...
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the dyno done

I do not want to post the graphs yet because they show some weird results & I've asked the speed shop (Excelerate Performance in Branford CT) what they mean.

They guy wrote in his report:

"+30 wheel horsepower max which flattened out to +22 in the higher RPMs. +30 wheel torque which remains steady almost through to redline. These are impressive numbers."

The dyno was done at around 4:00, 81 degrees outside. Hood closed, 2 fans pointed directly at the kidney grilles. 2 runs were done with the JB1 on first. This is because it was already on the car & had been for about a week & was their recommendation. Then it was removed & the last run was done.

And lemme tell ya - WOT, that M Performance exhaust is LOUDER 'n SPIT! Sounds NASTY!

The dyno operator said when he removed the JB1, the change to the power was very noticeable. This was his first experience with a BMS product & his comment was "I'm impressed" and "they obviously know what they're doing. And remember, this is a Mustang dyno."

Now about the graph...

What the graph showed for max readouts for wheel horsepower for all 3 runs is max horsepower of 295 - this includes the run without the JB1. So either something is wrong with the printout & the runs the guy selected to populate the various inputs of the diagram or he input them incorrectly. I don't know how the graph is populated.

I'll wait for Excelerate to tell me what's up with the graph & what they have to do to update it. If they send me a new one, I will post it.

Also, so you know what had to be done - there are these plastic protectors that go around the control arms in the rear. These guys removed them because the did not want to damage them with the tie-down straps. That added some time & cost to my dyno run. Just an FYI in case you're thinking of putting your car up on a dyno.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #15
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awron gauge pics

Here are some pics of the max values the Awron gauge has recorded so far. I am not really hitting redline; couldn't tell you what the RPM was when I hit these values, but likely in the 5000-6000 area. JB1 is installed.

I'll uninstall it after I've had some more fun & do some shots without the JB1 after the ECU readjusts. Only takes a couple of runs from what I understand.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #16
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroDude View Post
The speed shop I went to convinced me to get a cold air intake - and it was a tough sell. I am VERY VERY skeptical of the supposed benefit of a CAI, and I put up quite a fight, citing numerous engineering studies & youtube vids that clearly show before/after dyno runs with no to minimal gains. And the sell has to be more than "you can really hear your turbo spool!"

So, they gave me a decent price on the AFE Magnum Stage 2 Pro 5 (the one with the open, oiled element). I really don't like those, having had one on my 350Z way back when... royal pain in the tookus.

But they swore up & down that there are gain, albeit minimal. But they claim the real benefit to a turbo is that they reduce lag/turbo spools quicker. We shall see because I barely notice lag with this car as it is... I felt the $319 price tag was worth a shot.

They also recommended an intercooler, but sadly the Dinan (which they had in stock) won't fit cars with the cruise control. And, I've spent enough money this year on stuff. So if I do an intercooler, it's next year. They have time to find something that might fit behind the bumper.

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #17
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Dyno chart

I figured out the dyno chart. The reason the max is the same on the horsepower is, well, because it is the same in the very top end.

All of the gains occur in the 2440-5800 RPM range.

Check it out, folks!
Attached Images

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-29-2016 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Add dyno graph
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 04:30 AM   #18
barfastic
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Garage List
hello,

i suck at reading dynos, but shouldnt it be making more power at the top?

also, whats the difference between the JB run and the JB1 run?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #19
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfastic View Post
hello,

i suck at reading dynos, but shouldnt it be making more power at the top?

also, whats the difference between the JB run and the JB1 run?
This is my first experience with a dyno chart. I don't know where the JB1 makes its power, but I can tell you I feel the power all through the power band, but most noticeably where I normally drive & play (if you go back & read my original post, which was pre-dyno - so the dyno confirms what I was feeling.)

I don't know if that this was a Mustang dyno has anything to do with the chart, what gear the guy had it in, if he had it in sport or comfort mode (I did ask & they said it didn't matter because it is a manual tranny).

No difference other than how they named the runs. They did 2 runs with the JB unit on the car, 1 without.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #20
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

JB Stage 1 always felt jumpy to me.. and now especially since I've gotten the JB4, I wonder why I haven't done so earlier. JB4 makes the car feel so much like stock that you wouldn't even know it has a tune until you romp it.

I had an issue with my car or the Stage 1, but if I were WOT in 2nd and shift to 3rd and go right back to WOT.. the car wouldn't give boost back. The car would essentially fall on it's face. What I ended up having to do was: WOT in 2nd, shift to 3rd, and steadily increase throttle for boost to build.

The Stage 1 kit just adds boost no matter what, so even on normal acceleration, if you hit the pedal too hard... you're jumping around. The JB4 fixed all of that and I can't be more happy. Definitely recommend JB4, even if you'll only keep it on map 1.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 05:52 PM   #21
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
JB Stage 1 always felt jumpy to me.. and now especially since I've gotten the JB4, I wonder why I haven't done so earlier. JB4 makes the car feel so much like stock that you wouldn't even know it has a tune until you romp it.

I had an issue with my car or the Stage 1, but if I were WOT in 2nd and shift to 3rd and go right back to WOT.. the car wouldn't give boost back. The car would essentially fall on it's face. What I ended up having to do was: WOT in 2nd, shift to 3rd, and steadily increase throttle for boost to build.

The Stage 1 kit just adds boost no matter what, so even on normal acceleration, if you hit the pedal too hard... you're jumping around. The JB4 fixed all of that and I can't be more happy. Definitely recommend JB4, even if you'll only keep it on map 1.
I got the JB1 because I have no other bolt-ons on my car. The other maps on the JB4 require mods (so I've been told & read on the forums.) And according to what I've read about & been told about JB1 & map 1 on the JB4 - they're the same. I read on a couple of posts that even BMS themselves says so.

You're not the first time I've read that jumpy thing. But I think it feels stock unless I romp on it, though. One of the things I love about it. I was concerned the JB1 was going to screw up the feel of the engine but after talking with Mike at XPH, I got a comfort level & turns out he was right. I haven't experienced that not giving boost back issue - I am gonna play around & see if I can experience it. I am not sure what that would feel like, but guess I will if/when I experience it. I'll report back if I encounter it & contact BMS.

Last edited by MASHCT; 06-26-2016 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #22
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
OP, you're in CT

Get EuroDynamic | CBTuning to flash your car or maybe they can do a backend flash for you. They're in PA and CT, @eurodynamic @cbtuning on IG

Enzo in NYC/NJ of course!

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 07-13-2016 at 07:44 AM..
Appreciate 0