THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Obtaining an allocation for M235i

07-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 440xi Gran Coupe

Obtaining an allocation for M235i

Hey everyone,

I just recently placed an order for an M235i on 6/30 with my local dealership. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any difficulties securing an allocation for a build order once you placed the order?

It's been about 3 weeks now and my dealership apparently can't find an allocation from another dealership and can't seem to give me any reasonable timeframe as to when I should expect to take delivery. They've said 6-8 weeks once the car enters production (which sounds accurate based upon what I've read here) but I need an allocation/production number before that 8 week countdown even starts.

Anyone having the same issues with cars ordered after 6/30?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Almost everyone has had this issue actually. M235i allocations are still very limited at about 1-2 per month per dealership. So if they don't have one now you'll have to wait and get the allocations they get for next month (assuming you are top of the list at your dealership).
      07-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #3
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the quick response and it's good to know that it's not just me.

I was told my dealership received 1 allocation for an m235i for all of 2015 and it was already taken by someone else. I was next on the list and because they didn't have any they started looking for other dealerships to trade an allocation to them.

According to the manager none of the other dealerships are willing to trade their allocations because they're able to sell the car above or around msrp and make a decent amount off of each one. I happened to get a pretty good deal on mine because I'm friends with the salesman so there aren't too many dealerships willing to give up a "cash cow" to help out mine.

Hopefully they can find something soon as my current lease expires on 10/1 and I need my next car by then. As much as I'd like to trust my dealership who keeps saying they should be able to deliver mine by then I'm not so sure as the days go by..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
patbrass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB, 6MT

If I lived on the east coast, I'd definitely do PDC in South Carolina. In that case, you can find any US dealers and just negotiate over mails/texts with the savings more than offsetting the cost of a 1-way plane ticket. Never done it but it looks like people are unanimously saying it's a superb experience.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #5
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Normally I would do the PCD no questions asked (sounds like an incredible experience) but I just changed jobs and all of my vacation time for the rest of the year is going towards my honeymoon after I get married this fall

Next car I'll be sure to do either the Euro delivery or PCD.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
apg13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Cayman 718 S

I'm not sure how far you are willing to travel, but I know at least one dealership in NY has allocations available (BMW of Westchester). I am currently living in NYC and went out to a few dealerships to inquire about pricing.

I ordered my car from Birmingham, AL after 06/30 and was given a week 32 allocation, although it's still an estimated production week but it's still an allocation. That means production in the first week of August with an estimated delivery date of mid to late September.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the info! I'll bring the westchester allocations to my dealerships attention to see if there's anything they can work out with them.

If they can't get me any concrete info on an allocation date by the end of this week I'll probably pull my deposit and either go to another dealership or go with plan b (order a 2015 sti)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
bernstem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The dealer I am buying from has no allocations. They got one for all of MY2014 that was given to me. They have a waiting list for the car and no clear idea of when an allocation will open for them. I was told by the sales manager that they have been trying to trade for an unsold car or open allocation at other dealers, but haven't had any luck with that either. It seems allocations are hard to come by and those with them are unwilling to trade. I'm not quite sure how to reconcile what they told me (they have no reason not to be up front since I already paid for my car) with the posts here about unsold cars or open allocations.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #9
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I just forwarded along the info about Westchester and was told to sit tight until Wednesday/Thursday to give the manager some time to try and get one of the allocations from them.

No clue if they'll actually be able to swap but I'll give them the rest of this week to try to get one. If I don't have an allocation/production number by Friday then I'll have to pull the plug and go with Plan B (2015 sti). Normally I wouldn't mind waiting a bit but due to the time crunch with my current lease expiring I need to make sure I've got something to drive come 10/1
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

If you are interested in doing ED we can get you set up
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...4#post16326864

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #11
dave235
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i on order

Dealers can also trade allotments. Mine traded his allotment for an m4 for my m235 allotment.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2014, 06:54 PM   #12
cuztom15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 E36 M3 Turbo/15 m235i

Are there any dealerships in the US northeast that have allotments? I am going to do PDC but i have a trade in i need to get rid of. Dying to put my order in for a 235xi coupe
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave235
Dealers can also trade allotments. Mine traded his allotment for an m4 for my m235 allotment.
That is if another dealership is willing to trade their allotment. The message I was given is that most aren't which is why I still can't get one (now 5 weeks after placing my order)

I'm going in today because they told me they'd give me a really good deal on a 335/435 since they couldn't get what I really wanted. If it's good enough I'll just order one of those, if not, I'll cancel and try finding another dealership outside of NE that has an allotment
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
wmo168
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStachmo View Post
Hey everyone,

I just recently placed an order for an M235i on 6/30 with my local dealership. I was just wondering if anyone else has had any difficulties securing an allocation for a build order once you placed the order?

It's been about 3 weeks now and my dealership apparently can't find an allocation from another dealership and can't seem to give me any reasonable timeframe as to when I should expect to take delivery. They've said 6-8 weeks once the car enters production (which sounds accurate based upon what I've read here) but I need an allocation/production number before that 8 week countdown even starts.

Talk to your dealer, each dealer allow one M235i for ED without using their allocation. If you willing to travel to Europe, your car would be 7% cheaper as well!

[ED Photo 12'] [ED Photo 11'] [ED Photo 09'] [PCD Photo 09']
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmo168
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Talk to your dealer, each dealer allow one M235i for ED without using their allocation. If you willing to travel to Europe, your car would be 7% cheaper as well!
Normally I'd be all over that but I just don't have the time to take the trip to Europe this year (wedding coming up this fall and the honeymoon is eating up all my available vaca time)

So unfortunately I can't use that as an option
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
That is if another dealership is willing to trade their allotment. The message I was given is that most aren't which is why I still can't get one (now 5 weeks after placing my order)

I'm going in today because they told me they'd give me a really good deal on a 335/435 since they couldn't get what I really wanted. If it's good enough I'll just order one of those, if not, I'll cancel and try finding another dealership outside of NE that has an allotment
You may already know, not all 2 series are custom built.
Many are dealer ordered lot cars, no specific buyer.
If you're not set on a "must have" special order, have you asked if there is a 2 series in the "pipeline" slated for dealer inventory that still has time to be modified to your specs?
They may have already tried that, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Have they also looked at any 2 series that are built and on their way in, or in the pipeline (not modifiable) that meet or nearly meet your specs?
If there is a car that meets your needs and it's slated for another dealer, your dealer can ask to have that car routed to them for your purchase.

When I bought my 2003 325i sport I got lucky in that there was a 325i in the pipeline that was going to another dealer as a lot car.
My dealer found it and asked if it could be routed to him/me.
The original dealer agreed and I didn't have to custom order.
It only took a week to get it.
It was an MT too, which is a rarity for a "lot" car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:08 AM   #17
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Though it's only been a week n half Waiting for an allocation is killing me. I asked my dealer for a allocation update for this month and he has no clue. I questioned if he could trade another allocation m3/4 for a m235i he said no dealers want apples to apples and to just be patient. Which to me sound like a bunch of bs in regards to swapping allocations.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #18
dave235
Private
Rep
Drives: m235i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO89
Though it's only been a week n half Waiting for an allocation is killing me. I asked my dealer for a allocation update for this month and he has no clue. I questioned if he could trade another allocation m3/4 for a m235i he said no dealers want apples to apples and to just be patient. Which to me sound like a bunch of bs in regards to swapping allocations.
Yea that is bs because my dealer swapped an allocation for an m4 for my m235
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #19
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

1.5 weeks is nothing...

I'm on week 6 and still no allocations in sight. I'm really starting to get discouraged and I'm ready to bail on my local dealership if they can't get one within a couple days.

Time to start calling all dealerships in the north east to see what's available...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:50 AM   #20
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStachmo
1.5 weeks is nothing...

I'm on week 6 and still no allocations in sight. I'm really starting to get discouraged and I'm ready to bail on my local dealership if they can't get one within a couple days.

Time to start calling all dealerships in the north east to see what's available...
Oh I know 1.5 weeks is nothing that's not my point. I'm saying shouldn't dealers have an idea of when they get their allocations in and why would they not be willing to trade spots to get the order moving.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #21
JStachmo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOLO89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStachmo
1.5 weeks is nothing...

Oh I know 1.5 weeks is nothing that's not my point. I'm saying shouldn't dealers have an idea of when they get their allocations in and why would they not be willing to trade spots to get the order moving.
Update: About an hour ago my dealership told me to come in and finalize my build (I had a few revisions since I placed the order) but supposedly I will have my allocation number by the end of the week.

Well see if they pull through - but I'm thrilled that things seem to finally be moving along!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #22
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

It almost sounds like you guys simply don't know how this works. Allocations come in during the first week of the month. You're not "waiting six weeks" as if an allocation will suddenly show up on the 21st of July.

I'm not really sure that some salesman on the floor knows squat about their allocation pipeline for the year, so someone saying "we're only getting this ONE for the year" sounds like BS. They know their allocations for the following month during the first week of the previous month (August allocation = September build). BMW does not disclose more information to them other than this and no sooner than this.
Appreciate 0