THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i photos, reviews, thoughts, mods?

04-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

228i photos, reviews, thoughts, mods?

All i see are threads about M235i and M2. Seeing if any reviews have been posted about the 228i. Love the way these look and at the price point the 228i may be perfect to play around with. Anyone seeing more than I am?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #2
And88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 228i Deep Sea Blue / Oyster

The 228i IS WONDERFUL.

Picked up a brand new 228i on Friday.

Here are some pics from our first (and last) day together: https://www.flickr.com/photos/553837...th/14044234095

Unfortunately, following the "photoshoot" I encountered a "drivetrain malfunction" at 95 miles - requiring the car to be towed from the middle of nowhere (beautiful middle of nowhere, mind you) back to central-ish LA.

BMW Bev Hills diagnosed the problem as a fuel pump malfunction, but thankfully they put me in a brand new, nearly identical car and cut me a pretty sweet deal.

Today was the first time I really got to take the new one out, I drove the length of the famous Mulholland Drive from Hollywood to the western edge of the San Fernando Valley, through Topanga Canyon and down the PCH back into LA.

Simply, the car is a joy to drive. Windows & sunroof open, redlining through a tunnel with that jet engine turbo/blow off noise sends bliss levels to heights usually only achieved by eight-year-olds with firecrackers.

Coming from an E90 (sedan) w/sport pack, I do miss my old sport seats, and the steering feel on the 228i is comparatively light, even in sport mode, but after today's excursion through the canyons, I think I'm getting used to it. If I was to build my own, I might try for the Dynamic Handling Pkg, but I fear that it may just be the electric assist that is here to stay (as opposed to the hydro of the older cars).

But make no mistake, despite a relatively modest 240hp 4 banger, the car is FAST. In fact, it's quicker 0-60 than the E36 M3, which is plenty fast for me, especially in LA. Also, it feels much quicker than my e90 6cyl ever did. The new tranny with the turbo gives you more torque off the line and in lower RPMS, so much so I find myself chirping the tires if I push too hard. Powerband feels lower than in the old 3's, which is nice when you get used to it. In sport mode, you've got power any time you need it.

Adding 100 HP (OR MORE!?) in this car sounds absolutely terrifying(ly awesome) but honestly, I don't track my cars...Around the canyons and valleys, not once today did I wish it was faster, just a bit stiffer.

My car has the tech package, heated seats, fineline trim and a moonroof and that's about it. But even compared to my base e90, the nav and the seat heat make it feel pretty luxurious. Total MSRP was $38,005.00 before my "brand new car breakdown" discount.

Overall, I am so happy with the purchase. It's my 5th (sixth if you count Friday's) BMW, I've driven anything from the E30 to the F30 and this is my favorite yet. Some 2's (especially with the M accs) are more aggressive looking cars, but mine is for sure the prettiest/classiest, and I'm okay with that. Nav is great, the fit and finish of the car is amazing. It's a whole lot of car for the $$.

FUN.

This weekend I plan on taking photos of the new car (this one is Deep Sea Blue, not Midnight Blue..a bit more blue, less green.) and going on some mountain cruises.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
And88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Oh, and, sorry, this isn't a proper review, but I do work full time as a journalist!

I will post any 228i reviews I find.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
Scotlac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by And88 View Post
Oh, and, sorry, this isn't a proper review, but I do work full time as a journalist!

I will post any 228i reviews I find.
I thought it was a fantastic review! Thanks for contributing!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:

Here are some pics from our first (and last) day together: https://www.flickr.com/photos/553837...th/14044234095

Unfortunately, following the "photoshoot" I encountered a "drivetrain malfunction" at 95 miles - requiring the car to be towed from the middle of nowhere (beautiful middle of nowhere, mind you) back to central-ish LA.

BMW Bev Hills diagnosed the problem as a fuel pump malfunction, but thankfully they put me in a brand new, nearly identical car and cut me a pretty sweet deal.

Today was the first time I really got to take the new one out, I drove the length of the famous Mulholland Drive from Hollywood to the western edge of the San Fernando Valley, through Topanga Canyon and down the PCH back into LA.

Simply, the car is a joy to drive. Windows & sunroof open, redlining through a tunnel with that jet engine turbo/blow off noise sends bliss levels to heights usually only achieved by eight-year-olds with firecrackers.

Coming from an E90 (sedan) w/sport pack, I do miss my old sport seats, and the steering feel on the 228i is comparatively light, even in sport mode, but after today's excursion through the canyons, I think I'm getting used to it. If I was to build my own, I might try for the Dynamic Handling Pkg, but I fear that it may just be the electric assist that is here to stay (as opposed to the hydro of the older cars).

But make no mistake, despite a relatively modest 240hp 4 banger, the car is FAST. In fact, it's quicker 0-60 than the E36 M3, which is plenty fast for me, especially in LA. Also, it feels much quicker than my e90 6cyl ever did. The new tranny with the turbo gives you more torque off the line and in lower RPMS, so much so I find myself chirping the tires if I push too hard. Powerband feels lower than in the old 3's, which is nice when you get used to it. In sport mode, you've got power any time you need it.

Adding 100 HP (OR MORE!?) in this car sounds absolutely terrifying(ly awesome) but honestly, I don't track my cars...Around the canyons and valleys, not once today did I wish it was faster, just a bit stiffer.

My car has the tech package, heated seats, fineline trim and a moonroof and that's about it. But even compared to my base e90, the nav and the seat heat make it feel pretty luxurious. Total MSRP was $38,005.00 before my "brand new car breakdown" discount.

Overall, I am so happy with the purchase. It's my 5th (sixth if you count Friday's) BMW, I've driven anything from the E30 to the F30 and this is my favorite yet. Some 2's (especially with the M accs) are more aggressive looking cars, but mine is for sure the prettiest/classiest, and I'm okay with that. Nav is great, the fit and finish of the car is amazing. It's a whole lot of car for the $$.

FUN.

This weekend I plan on taking photos of the new car (this one is Deep Sea Blue, not Midnight Blue..a bit more blue, less green.) and going on some mountain cruises.
uh oh. fuel pump issues still? eeek.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by And88

FUN.

Awesome info and thanks for your thoughts and input on this car. Sorry to hear about the issues that occurred with the first one and glad it all worked out. On another note, I am moving to SoCal this summer and would love a list of the best driving locations as you mentioned one above. Thanks for any input in this as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #7
And88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
uh oh. fuel pump issues still? eeek.
I know. Talk about E36 spiritual successors, they even built in a fuel pump failure every 100 miles!

But for real, I hope it's just a freak incident & not something we're just going to have to expect as F22 owners. But, the new car has 4 years and 59,840 miles to blow up under warranty, thankfully.

Edit: Guess with the E36 it was really the water pump that used to commit suicide every month, but you know.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
And88
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
Awesome info and thanks for your thoughts and input on this car. Sorry to hear about the issues that occurred with the first one and glad it all worked out. On another note, I am moving to SoCal this summer and would love a list of the best driving locations as you mentioned one above. Thanks for any input in this as well.
Thanks, my pleasure! All sorted out, it'll all be good.

As far as roads go, I love Mulholland Drive and the Mullholland Highway, you just gotta be careful because of the blind curves / hooligans now and then.

All of the canyons are pretty fun (Topanga Canyon between the 101 and PCH has been repaved recently and Malibu canyon views can't be beat.

Angels Crest Highway is pretty wild in the summer (up to 7,000 feet) PCH is great, especially north to Big Sur / SF.

I've found that if you just go towards the mountains, things get pretty great, pretty quick. There are a bunch of cool undiscovered little routes you'll happen upon.

Good luck in LA! I've been here for 4 years, let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

228i: I love mine, however it is missing some things the 235i gets..

No paddle shifters, even w/ M-sport package
No controls for the enhanced dash display (you can cycle fuel/mileage but nothing else)
No control over drive mode settings
Supposedly no m-sport adjustable suspension even though my window sticker shows it on there.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by And88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam226 View Post
Thanks, my pleasure! All sorted out, it'll all be good.

As far as roads go, I love Mulholland Drive and the Mullholland Highway, you just gotta be careful because of the blind curves / hooligans now and then.

All of the canyons are pretty fun (Topanga Canyon between the 101 and PCH has been repaved recently and Malibu canyon views can't be beat.

Angels Crest Highway is pretty wild in the summer (up to 7,000 feet) PCH is great, especially north to Big Sur / SF.

I've found that if you just go towards the mountains, things get pretty great, pretty quick. There are a bunch of cool undiscovered little routes you'll happen upon.

Good luck in LA! I've been here for 4 years, let me know if you have any other questions.
Man that's good to hear and thanks for your help. Can't wait to get out there!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako View Post

No controls for the enhanced dash display (you can cycle fuel/mileage but nothing else)
Supposedly no m-sport adjustable suspension even though my window sticker shows it on there.
when you say drive mode, you mean sport/comfort? and the car is given m sport suspension, but I didn't think it implied that it was adjustable. I ordered the m sport too so I'll have I check. pretty bad if it's advertised as adjustable and it isn't...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #12
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

ps - it says "adaptive" on the site. not sure if that's synonymous with adjustable....
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #13
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
when you say drive mode, you mean sport/comfort? and the car is given m sport suspension, but I didn't think it implied that it was adjustable. I ordered the m sport too so I'll have I check. pretty bad if it's advertised as adjustable and it isn't...
You can switch to eco/comfort/sport but there are no adjustable settings for them. The suspension is listed as "m sport adaptive suspension" though I've read on the forums that it isnt actually on the 228i. Perhaps it really is but you cant control it (along with not controlling the drive modes)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You can switch to eco/comfort/sport but there are no adjustable settings for them. The suspension is listed as "m sport adaptive suspension" though I've read on the forums that it isnt actually on the 228i. Perhaps it really is but you cant control it (along with not controlling the drive modes)
ah ok. in other models can you actual tweak the modes?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtzako

What?

Sport auto with paddle shifters is standard. Steptronic is a no-cost dealer screw up "option"

Not sure what you mean with respect to the extended display? What else does it show on the m235 that it doesn't show on the 228i with tech?
      05-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #16
jtzako
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
According to the manual you can. For example you can see a 'sport mode settings' in the M235i but in the 228i that isnt present.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #17
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino
Quote:
I don't know what's going on in here. The adaptive dampers are an option. If you bought them adapt them. Otherwise not.
      05-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #18
yep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i ED June 11

If I were in the U.S. I'd go for the 228i. I test drove the 228i and took it to 130 miles an hour just fine. It's a great car.

Really, the prudent decision would be the 228 with minimal options. I'm buying the 235 knowing that it is not a good financial decision and that a car with that much power may very well get me killed.

Your mileage may vary
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #19
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyalawyr View Post
I don't know what's going on in here. The adaptive dampers are an option. If you bought them adapt them. Otherwise not.
my head is spinning. haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Here's what I am considering, but waiting for 2015, in case VO becomes available on the MSport. But, dynamically, this would be identical to an MSport, from what BMWNA told me. Dynamic Handling is the package of MAdaptive Suspension and Variable Sport Steering.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
yep
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, after test driving the M235i I walked into the dealership and said, "that car is ridiculous and it's going to get me killed....and I want one."
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
yep
Private First Class
Rep

See, there's the problem. I also wanted to option out the 228i which brought me up to about $41,500 with military discount. It just didn't make sense to me to not spend the little bit of extra money to get pretty much the same specs in the 235i.

235 has all kinds of standard features that you pay for on the 228. Examples: power seats, moon roof, leather seats, M sport package/suspension etc., Xenon headlights, etc.

I'm sure that was deliberate by BMW. Basically, if you're looking at buying more than 2-3 options packages the 235 just looks like the better deal.
Appreciate 0