THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Unexpected M235i Purchase

09-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Xdrive

Talking Unexpected M235i Purchase

I've been lurking for the last two weeks lol, so I decided that I would finally start posting.

I had been going back and forth between the 428i and the Audi S3 for several months in my head. I am coming from a 2012 Audi A6, so I have a slight bias towards Audis. I test drove the S3 on August 26th and was very impressed with what Audi did with engine...I honestly believe it is highly underrated at 290 hps. The handling was great and it didn't even have the magnetic drive.

On August 28th on my lunch break I popped by Alexandria, BMW...no appointment or anything, I actually wanted to test drive a 428i but sitting on the lot was a 2015 M235i with xDrive, I knew that it was released but didn't think there would be one sitting on the lot. It checked all the boxes I wanted in my build and is really a better comparison to the S3.

I took out it for about 30 mins and knew this was the car for me. The fit, the engine...the look...everything was there and I didn't have to wait for it to be built. I was actually lucky, because another customer was supposed to test drive the car and if I would've arrived 5 minutes later than I did, I wouldn't have my car. Needless to say my hour lunch break turned into 3 hour lunch break...well I actually never went back to work that day lol.

No mods as I'm pretty much happy with everything at the moment. I do want the all weather mats and to do some coding. Natively the informant system on the Audi could do a bit more than BMW's, but from what I can gather...coding is pretty straight forward. My only other observation is the BMW's lack of Android support...but the driving experience has been stellar. My only observation about driving, is when I'm in sports mode...and not really pushing the car...it seems to hang on to 2nd gear a bit longer than I like and I end up using the shifter to go to the next gear.

Here's a few pictures. It rained most the day yesterday but the sun finally came out, when I took the pics...but I haven't washed the car either sigh (need to find a place...not sure where I can store all the stuff I need either to keep her clean) lol...I need to figure out how to stop scuffing the door panel...sigh I have hard to getting in and out the car without my dress shoes grazing the panel.

**Side Note: I did not receive cup holder inserts. What is the little compartment right above the holders for?

**Side Side Note: Any suggestions for the front license plate? So far I haven't had any issues as I still have drive out tags. Yesterday there was randomly 4 Alexandria police officers on Cameron Street, by the King St Metro Station, I just knew I was going to get a ticket lol...they just admired the car as I drove by lol. I just cringe at drilling the bumper with the supplied license plate holder.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Congrats! I was in the similar boat as you when I considered the new A3 to replace the Jetta. Despite the A3 drove pretty good and all, I still didn't feel like "this is my car" so I went to check BMW and fell in love with the 2 Series and that's pretty much the story.

Anyway, I picked 228 instead since my other car is 2013 Audi S6 and it meant to be my commuter so I didn't really need that power in the M235i and I found that balance of smaller and lighter engine in 228 was pretty nice too.

On your side notes, here are my answers:

Note 1# They are some sorry pieces of useless plastic. You can go back and ask for them from the dealership but they will end up at some forgotten corner of your garage anyway.

Note 2# Front License Plate is required here in California as well but so far I have been running without one since April and yet to have any problem. Anyway, I use a tow hook front plate holder from US Mill Works when I took my car on a trip to So.Cal and no cop bothered me at all. If you don't mind blowing about $80 for a holder (which I don't), that's an option too.

Last edited by VeryBadman; 09-14-2014 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Fab color scheme. Superb machine!

Dont worry about the bumper. Tickets are not worth your time. We have to have them here or no Autobahn fun! Just find a solution and put it on. Why risk needless lectures from the police.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

For the front plate, look up the tow hook plate holders. Much easier and cleaner, plus you can remove it whenever you like and put the cap back on.

Nice purchase! Coming from an Audi A4, I was hoping for more from the S3 as well, but was disappointed. VW Golf R isn't my style either. The BMW drive was awesome and about as small as I would ever want to go.
      09-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
Congrats! I was in the similar boat as you when I considered the new A3 to replace the Jetta. Despite the A3 drove pretty good and all, I still didn't feel like "this is my car" so I went to check BMW and fell in love with the 2 Series and that's pretty much the story.

Anyway, I picked 228 instead since my other car is 2013 Audi S6 and it meant to be my commuter so I didn't really need that power in the M235i and I found that balance of smaller and lighter engine in 228 was pretty nice too.

On your side notes, here are my answers:

Note 1# They are some sorry pieces of useless plastic. You can go back and ask for them from the dealership but they will end up at some forgotten corner of your garage anyway.

Note 2# Front License Plate is required here in California as well but so far I have been running without one since April and yet to have any problem. Anyway, I use a tow hook front plate holder from US Mill Works when I took my car on a trip to So.Cal and no cop bothered me at all. If you don't mind blowing about $80 for a holder (which I don't), that's an option too.
Ahh, tow hook!! I don't know why this wasn't make sense to me at first lol. I like this options. Keeps me from drilling into the bumper!

I wish I could've kept my A6, that car was something special. I don't get hung on brand loyalty, if the car is good and I like it, I'm going to purchase it lol...well unless its like a Kia or Hyundai. I needed something smaller and the BMW hit the sweet spot on size, since I am not commuting and don't have to worry about back seat passengers any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post

Dont worry about the bumper. Tickets are not worth your time. We have to have them here or no Autobahn fun! Just find a solution and put it on. Why risk needless lectures from the police.
Thanks! Man what I give to drive my card on the Autobahn! I think I am in sort of a grace period because I have not received my permanent tags from the dealer yet. I have all the required documents and will definitely put a front tag on. VeryBadman and Hoppy have led me in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy6698 View Post
For the front plate, look up the tow hook plate holders. Much easier and cleaner, plus you can remove it whenever you like and put the cap back on.

Nice purchase! Coming from an Audi A4, I was hoping for more from the S3 as well, but was disappointed. VW Golf R isn't my style either. The BMW drive was awesome and about as small as I would ever want to go.
I am not into hatchbacks either so that immediately ruled out the Golf R...the Jetta wasn't my cup of tea either. The S4 is bit bigger than I like. It's like trying to get the right porridge. I honestly think I would've been happy with the Audi S3, but the BMW just felt more engaging. Audi's execution of the tech package is definitely better than BMW though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Oh, does the tow hook bracket, mess with the front parking sensor? On the US Mill Works website, the brackets are for cars without, front parking sensors.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
VeryBadman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i & Lexus NX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxHolic View Post
Oh, does the tow hook bracket, mess with the front parking sensor? On the US Mill Works website, the brackets are for cars without, front parking sensors.
You have to work on the adjustment of the bracket which is not difficult at all. Once everything is in the right place, you should not have any problem.
      09-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #8
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
That is a consideration here as well. We have long front plates and the plate frame will interfere with the sensor so I have no frame around my front plate. It was triggering spurious activation with the frame around the plate. Fortunately you have solutions avail it seems.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Sweet!

Although I had to make an appointment for a test drive, I got mine in a similar fashion. I drove it home the same day, and there were people standing behind me with appointments, waiting for their test drive. Heh!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Congrats on your new M235i! You got lucky being able to buy the car right on the spot. It seems like they are quite scarce all over the country.

In any case, I'm curious to know what you think of the M235i compared to the new S3. In terms of acceleration, handling, etc. The new S3 seems like a very nice car, and a great alternative to the M235i, especially for the money.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #11
missxmelon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Quote:

Aber die Polizei sind strenger in Deutschland, oder? Hier sind sie nur gewalttätig...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #12
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryBadman View Post
You have to work on the adjustment of the bracket which is not difficult at all. Once everything is in the right place, you should not have any problem.
Thanks for the head up. I watch a few videos on the website and I have better understand of how the install should go. I think I am going to spend the money on getting the quick release one. I plan to never run my car through those horrid car washes, but in the winter time, I may have to reduce the chances of corrosion. I wonder if the car washes at my dealership have the damned brushes that scratch everything. I used to tell my Audi service guy to skip the wash lol.

Quote:
That is a consideration here as well. We have long front plates and the plate frame will interfere with the sensor so I have no frame around my front plate. It was triggering spurious activation with the frame around the plate. Fortunately you have solutions avail it seems.
I love the look of the Euro tags, but I can see where that can be problematic. So you can't drive on the Autobahn without the front license plate? What is your work around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Sweet!

Although I had to make an appointment for a test drive, I got mine in a similar fashion. I drove it home the same day, and there were people standing behind me with appointments, waiting for their test drive. Heh!
It's a good felling, right lol! My salesman purposely kept the key to the car lol. I didn't have to haggle on price, but I did need to play with numbers in my head to get my note where I wanted lol. While the car was sitting there, there was 5 other customers that were ogling and drooling all over it. I think that's what really pushed me to get it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Congrats on your new M235i! You got lucky being able to buy the car right on the spot. It seems like they are quite scarce all over the country.

In any case, I'm curious to know what you think of the M235i compared to the new S3. In terms of acceleration, handling, etc. The new S3 seems like a very nice car, and a great alternative to the M235i, especially for the money.
The new S3 is a beast. I can't take anything away from that car. The looks are on point, the engine is insane, and the feel from the handling is just barely a half step below the M235i. It's fast and eager car and handles like champ. It really just came down to personal preference to be honest. The way I had my S3 spec'ed it was almost the same price as M235i. However, it had magnetic ride which was not on the car I tested. So there was bit of understeer, but it was very slight. I have nothing but great things about magnetic ride that could have been a deciding factor had it been optioned on the test car. Also I will say that you can get down into details of how the chassis feels, the steering wheels feels, the sound the car makes, on the Audi, I will miss those features. I also think the MMI on Audi is bit faster and the features aren't focused towards one headset maker over the other. With that said, the M235i just rides and fits me the way I envisioned my next car would. If I didn't choose the M235i, I would've definitely went with the S3 without any hesitations.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Congrats!

Love the color!

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The new S3 is a beast. I can't take anything away from that car. The looks are on point, the engine is insane, and the feel from the handling is just barely a half step below the M235i. It's fast and eager car and handles like champ. It really just came down to personal preference to be honest. The way I had my S3 spec'ed it was almost the same price as M235i. However, it had magnetic ride which was not on the car I tested. So there was bit of understeer, but it was very slight. I have nothing but great things about magnetic ride that could have been a deciding factor had it been optioned on the test car. Also I will say that you can get down into details of how the chassis feels, the steering wheels feels, the sound the car makes, on the Audi, I will miss those features. I also think the MMI on Audi is bit faster and the features aren't focused towards one headset maker over the other. With that said, the M235i just rides and fits me the way I envisioned my next car would. If I didn't choose the M235i, I would've definitely went with the S3 without any hesitations.
Thanks for the honest and detailed analysis. The new S3 is definitely a great car, and bound to be a great seller for Audi (if only they leased as well as the BMWs). The advertised 290hp is definitely severely underrated. It looks like the S3 wouldn't have a problem keeping up with the M235i (straight-line or otherwise). It would be interesting to see what more "experts" say when they review and test them head-to-head. At the advertised 3300lbs, the S3 is quite light, and should be extremely toss able and handle great (with its AWD).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
MrBones93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xDrive

How do you like the xDrive?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #16
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the honest and detailed analysis. The new S3 is definitely a great car, and bound to be a great seller for Audi (if only they leased as well as the BMWs). The advertised 290hp is definitely severely underrated. It looks like the S3 wouldn't have a problem keeping up with the M235i (straight-line or otherwise). It would be interesting to see what more "experts" say when they review and test them head-to-head. At the advertised 3300lbs, the S3 is quite light, and should be extremely toss able and handle great (with its AWD).
Yes, that lightness could also explain just wee bit of understeer I felt. I think the magnetic ride, would just eliminate that all together. I will be eagerly watching the video comparing the two also! Isn't 0-60 around 4.5-4.6 range with a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, that's just crazy lol...like good crazy. People are complaining the new AWD system isn't based on the old system, and its basically geared towards being more FWD...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBones93 View Post
How do you like the xDrive?
I think xDrive makes the car feel more grounded...not sluggish but grounded. I guess I will get a better notion once winter time hit. My A6 was a beast in the rain and the snow. It always felt sure footed and as of now I get that same feeling in the M235i. It's eager for sure but it doesn't feel like an uneven drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
Congrats!

Love the color!
Thank you sir! Is there any other color lol??!!!

Last edited by xxxHolic; 09-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #17
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, that lightness could also explain just wee bit of understeer I felt. I think the magnetic ride, would just eliminate that all together. I will be eagerly watching the video comparing the two also! Isn't 0-60 around 4.5-4.6 range with a 2.0-liter turbocharged engine, that's just crazy lol...like good crazy. People are complaining the new AWD system is based on the old system, and its basically geared towards being more FWD...
The other turbo 4-cyl engine that has quite the performance is the CLA45 AMG. It doesn't handle quite as nicely as either of these two, but straight-line, should be faster than these two.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #18
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The other turbo 4-cyl engine that has quite the performance is the CLA45 AMG. It doesn't handle quite as nicely as either of these two, but straight-line, should be faster than these two.
Yes the CLA45 AMG is rated 4.6 from 0-60 but it has a bit more in HP department. This is pretty nice comparison.

[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDKrcZ7xLY8[/u2b]

The Merc get's way too expensive when you start adding all the bells and whistles...plus the looks are definitely something of an acquired taste. It's no doubt that engine is piece of mechanical wonder though, hats of to Merc for making this engine on par with something inside a Porsche!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 07:45 PM   #19
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Mineral grey looks sweet and the coral red interior is an explosion of colour lol!

I also really like the S3, but coming from a sedan, I can't see myself in a hatchback. The M235i is a good compromise..

And yes, the CLA45 AMG is an expensive ugly wart
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #20
xxxHolic
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Mineral grey looks sweet and the coral red interior is an explosion of colour lol!

I also really like the S3, but coming from a sedan, I can't see myself in a hatchback. The M235i is a good compromise..

And yes, the CLA45 AMG is an expensive ugly wart
The new S3 is a Saloon/Sedan! It's actually a nice sized car and looks way better in person, even though it doesn't look bad in pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thank you sir! Is there any other color lol??!!!
Yes!

But congrats and enjoy yours!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Your 4 year service plan is only up to 50,000 miles ours is unlimited miles for 3 years I wonder why?
Appreciate 0