THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240i vs. 440i LCI

07-12-2017, 11:25 AM   #23
Stones1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - buying BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
The 2 series with Adaptive M suspension drives very well, IMO. It's as composed as any commuter car yet not loose like a civic. When you want better handling, sport/sport+ changes the dynamic pretty well. Never heard of anyone not liking how it works, more than they wish it got "stiffer" but that's a spring issue, not damper..

I test drove a 6MT 4 series as there were no 6MT 2 series (new) on the lot to test prior to finding my CPO 2 series . The 4 series was fine, nothing wrong with it, it felt more luxurious but not night/day. It felt like a big car inside, like a 6 series coupe we used to have, but lighter. It was a strange experience, because the weight of the car was fair, and the handling was pretty neutral but it still felt huge, to me. It's funny because spec wise they're not that much different in interior spacing, just a very different dash configuration which changes the whole aspect when you're sitting behind the wheel. The small cluster and big 3 spoke wheel hit home for me, in this car. This car wraps around you, whereas the 4 series makes you feel like cruising the town.

Can't go wrong with either choice, but it comes down you what you want from the car, which is either a fast handling/performance coupe, or a quick/fast commuter luxury coupe. Two very different cars, IMO.

D
Thanks. I haven't tried a car with the Adaptive M suspension yet; I was focusing on the 704 M Sport steel suspension. I'm a little concerned about repair costs for an adaptive suspension down the road. However, I am considering giving an adaptive car a try now.

Last edited by Stones1970; 07-12-2017 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #24
bimmercar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340xi

I have driven M2 vs M3 ZCP... M3 has more top end power, and the HUD which i love, but i feel like M2 is a tad more fun and is more playful on spinning the tail out.... and i have a 340xi with adaptive m suspension, with MPSS... i like both the M2 and M3, lean more towards M2, but i definitely suggest to get a nice exhaust if you can, m performance exhaust or akrapovic
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #25
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
OP said earlier that the 2 seems cramped. The interior driver dimensions are almost identical, with the 4 maybe a bit wider. The back seat room in the 2 is tighter, as is access. The exterior of the 4 is a lot bigger.
Like others, I went from an old (2002) 325 to a 235. The two are almost identical in exterior dimensions. I have driven 3's and 4's and they feel like motorboats. My wife's X3 at least has the advantage of being a truck at that size.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #26
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

The 4 feels much bigger and heavier to me, regardless of the spec sheet. The longer wheelbase must have something to do with that. I think which one is "better" depends more on what's the right tool for the job. If 90% of my driving were on highways or straight city roads, I would go with the 4. It's kind of a cruiser like a Mercedes, but more agile, with a more sporting (but not harsh) suspension and a more connected feeling to the driver. I personally wouldn't want the 2's choppier ride and slightly lighter weight feeling (I know it's still a heavy car) there. If I have back roads, mountain roads, etc, then the 4 is absolutely the wrong tool. I want the athlete, the dancer.
Appreciate 0