THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Advice Please: Dead Battery

10-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #1
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F22

Advice Please: Dead Battery

Could really use some advice please.

original owner 2014 228i base 15k mi - bone stock - no accessories - not even an iPhone plugged in.

Car dead after a few days sit. No energy at all - had to get into car with emergency key.

Tried to jump but nothing at all.

BMW roadside assistance fetched it with special rigs because it was my parking garage and flatbed could not get in.

SA called me today - claimed computer showing "out of gas" and "flasher left on" which drained the battery disqualifying it as warranty.

I explained can't understand this and to please elaborate:

He posed that my car ran out of gas and I left on the side of the road w/ the flashers on running the battery down.

I explained that BMW itself noted my car on the 4th level of a parking garage - quite impossible to fuel starve the engine going up ramps, right?

As for flashers - 2 points - (1) my hi-rise has security patrolling every 1/2 hour - had my flashers been on - I would have been contacted. (2) even if the flashers were somehow left on - doesn't the car have some type of fail safe cut off that eliminates just that killing the battery?

Was put off enough to end the conversation and called BMW customer assistance who has opened up a file for me.

While this sorts out - I would really like advice on my chances of this turning to a warranty action and/or just how much I should press this.

This mixture of frustration and the way I was treated has left me quite confused and not too rational.

Thanks very much
Bob
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If your gas were to be rather low doesn't it turn on a warning icon on your dash (triangle with exclamation mark inside)

Were you low on gas ?

As for the dead battery, if the car sits a lot that can be destructive for a battery

Last edited by overcoil; 12-24-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Perhaps you didn't turn the car off and it ran out of fuel.
Appreciate 1
raleedy160.00
      10-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the theories:

On the leaving running - not possible - have comfort access and both FOBs were with me.

On the low on gas - had at least 1/4 tank - maybe even more.

On the car sitting - get that, 5 mile - 15 min trip to/from work each day - possible this put pressure on battery? And, if so would this be on me - warranty wise?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsmithii View Post
Thanks for the theories:

On the leaving running - not possible - have comfort access and both FOBs were with me.

On the car sitting - get that, 5 mile - 15 min trip to/from work each day - possible this put pressure on battery? And, if so would this be on me - warranty wise?

Thanks.
On the car running. It is possible. I unfortunately did it. I got out of the car,locked it and walked away. I did not realize until I came back 10 min later that it was still running. I also have comfort access. I locked it by touching the outside handle.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You can leave car running if you walk away with fob, just FYI. Was car locked when you got back to it? Them saying out of gas should be pretty easy to prove have them fill it up and see how much it takes. That's easier than trying to figure out what's still in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Thanks for the theories:

Thanks.

Battery really wouldn't be covered under warranty but it would have been kind of cool if the dealer cut you a break considering the mileage you have.

If one day each week you went out for an hour drive that could really improve battery performance.

Though 5 miles each way - your probably just at the threshold. If your running accessories like rear defroster, radio, lights - maybe it's putting a strain on battery.

But w/o testing the battery and not being real familiar with these cars, I'm just guessing.

Lots of times as the battery weakens if you have an automatic transmission it will act funny, had you noticed any weird transmission shifts or lack of shifts recently?

Last edited by overcoil; 12-24-2016 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #8
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep

Holy cow - this is indeed a revelation - then it is possible that I could have exited the car leaving it running. Do not remember but may have been on the phone or otherwise distracted.

So what you are saying is that BMW will allow a car to run if locked by door handle or FOB and the fob goes out of range.

It is smart enough to not let me lock the FOB in the trunk or the car itself - but allows it to continue to run... wow.

Frankly would be relieved if this is the case [as the mystery is solved] - BUT WHAT A HUGE design defect uh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You can leave car running if you walk away with fob, just FYI. Was car locked when you got back to it? Them saying out of gas should be pretty easy to prove have them fill it up and see how much it takes. That's easier than trying to figure out what's still in there.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your dealer should just "do the right thing" and replace your battery under warranty. Maybe take your car somewhere else.

When run your car low on fuel(or anything else to trigger the (!) lamp) the car will store that fault. Just as would driving the car without your seat belt or low washer fluid... would make that (!)light come on, and store a fault code. Your dealer doesn't know what there are talking about. Simply running the car low on fuel won't cause the battery to die. Nor will leaving the flashers on. Probably more likely the tow truck driver left the "flashers" on.

A new battery will run about $500 installed and coded. I would think on a new car the battery is covered under warranty(five years ?).

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #10
Elvisfan
Major
Rep

I have had batteries replaced under warranty. Not Bmw yet. If you run a car empty and it dies,the ignition is still on. Wouldn't that eventually kill the battery?
Appreciate 1
raleedy160.00
      10-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Holy cow - this is indeed a revelation - then it is possible that I could have exited the car leaving it running. Do not remember but may have been on the phone or otherwise distracted.

So what you are saying is that BMW will allow a car to run if locked by door handle or FOB and the fob goes out of range.

It is smart enough to not let me lock the FOB in the trunk or the car itself - but allows it to continue to run... wow.

Frankly would be relieved if this is the case [as the mystery is solved] - BUT WHAT A HUGE design defect uh?
It kind of makes sense....

Let's say you are driving on the freeway and your fob battery runs out and the car senses the fob is not there anymore, it wouldn't be nice if you all of a sudden you car shuts off and you lose power steering and hydraulic brakes...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 04:15 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu
Quote:

It kind of makes sense....

Let's say you are driving on the freeway and your fob battery runs out and the car senses the fob is not there anymore, it wouldn't be nice if you all of a sudden you car shuts off and you lose power steering and hydraulic brakes...
They all work the same. Dropped my cousin off in his Audi avant and took it to get gas while he was doing whatever you do with kids when they start freaking out. Got there, realized he still had the fob with him. Pumped with engine running, not ideal I know but the needle was buried and it said 5 miles til empty. Anyway I was out and about driving for at least 30 mins, no key within miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 05:47 AM   #13
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpsmithii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I use the "lock while running" feature many times in the summer to keep the interior cool when I'm just dashing into a store quickly. I'd say it is a great feature rather than a defect.
      10-08-2016, 07:56 AM   #14
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone. I very much appreciate the comments and now have a sensible conclusion:

I must have parked, left, locked and walked away leaving the car running with about 1/4 tank of gas. Somehow the flashers were going as well. And my security patrols did not notice or decided to inform me of this situation. This drained the gas and the battery.

Further, intentional vehicle design allows the car to be left running:
  • in park
  • while locked
  • no one in driver's seat to trip seatbelt warning
  • FOB out of range

2 design benefits are:
  1. safety [e.g. FOB battery dies while driving making FOB look out of range] or
  2. convenience to deliberately leave car running while locked and FOB out of range - [e.g. warming up the vehicle]

Under these circumstances, I am the negligent party therefore not qualifying for BMW warranty action.

I very much appreciate this forum and everyone's help. I feel for those with similar circumstances without the ability to discuss their situation with other enthusiasts.

I hope this thread has enough term triggers for others to find if they have similar questions.

Bob.
Appreciate 1
raleedy160.00
      10-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #15
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Maybe I missed something here, but since when does a "drained battery" require replacement rather than just charging it to full capacity? Has that been tried yet? I know for a fact you can't jump-start these newer BMWs, but unless the battery itself has a dead cell or cells, you should be able to put it on a charger. If it won't charge or won't hold a charge, then the battery will need replacing.

BMW batteries usually last anywhere from 3-5 years. My 2013 335i is still on its original battery after 3.5 years and 21.5K miles, although my wife's previous 2011 128i convertible's battery went completely dead after 3 years (and that was in the hot TX climate at the time) and it was replaced under warranty. My previous 2007 E92 335i had a battery fail after 4 years, and it cost under $300 to replace and code at the dealership (with a 20% BMW CCA discount).

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

You're just lucky you were in a big parking garage and not a house with enclosed garage. Out at the family farm for instance the bedroom my niece and nephew sleep in is directly above the garage. Things could have been much worse for you leaving the car running I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #17
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

This could be related to the auto-stop/start. You mentioned you might have been on the phone, if you pulled up and parked while distracted and walked away while it was active but not running, it could restart a few minutes later.

Running a battery flat certainly isn't good for it, but it doesn't destroy it if you get it back on a charge soon. Repeated excessive deep discharges will turn it into scrap lead quickly, but you can usually get away with it once on an otherwise healthy battery. However if you've already sprung for the replacement you might not want to hear that ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #18
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Can anyone make sense of why the original 92Ah battery must be replaced by a 90Ah battery according to RealOEM?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=61_2815

Quote:
Attention:
The installed 92Ah AGM battery must be
replaced
by the 90Ah AGM battery!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 08:42 AM   #19
Spydeputy
Brigadier General
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23 M235i/2008,E90,335xi

Garage List
Replace It?

Why do they have to replace the battery. I ran mine dead a few months ago working on my 2015 M235i, and just recharged it and was good to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #20
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
As far as I remember batteries and tires are excluded from warranty and maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #21
rpsmithii
United_States
Rep

DEBRIEF

Been over 2 months and thanks to all - had the dealer charge up the battery and all is well - so far. Think I am over the hump. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Bob.
Appreciate 1
raleedy160.00
      12-24-2016, 05:02 PM   #22
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Our dealership cautions me to lock the car, even in the garage. This (locking) apparently shuts down all the background accessories that would otherwise run on for another 10-15min. They say it will help with battery longevity, and that it could promote full drain if you also only drive short distances. Glad to hear they don't have some 'feature' that automatically kills them after full drain, so you were able to recharge it.
Appreciate 0