THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Any long term issues with N55?

View Poll Results: Did you have any issues w/ your N55? Could be on drivetrain or something else
No issues so far, car has under 30k miles 18 36.00%
No issues, car has >30k miles 22 44.00%
Had some minor issues (less than $1000 to fix) 4 8.00%
Had some expensive issues (more than $1000 to fix), didn't tune the car 3 6.00%
Had some expensive issues (more than $1000 to fix), DID tune the car 3 6.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

11-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #23
tlum235i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

I'm just shy of hitting 55k and had a pretty big issue last year with oil getting into the coolant lines. Thankfully, I was still under warranty and everything was covered. I had the oil filter housing gasket replaced among other things. I do think that was a one off though.
I had two things break this year, with one minor one and the other leaving me to get my car towed. The first was one of the pieces for the windshield washer fluid and it caused fluid to leak near the driver front tire. The other happened this week where the coolant vent hose broke and coolant started spraying everywhere. Thankfully, I was just about to pull into a parking lot and had a good idea of what the white smoke and smell meant, so I quickly shut it off and went on my GEICO app to set up a tow. The dealership was really good at getting me in right away and fixed next day, so all good there, but just a warning to have everyone check his coolant vent hose once higher up in mileage, as I feel the plastic part isn't strong enough over time to handle the pressure, heat, etc. I'll attach a picture to show you guys where mine failed and where it might be a weak spot in the line.
Other than those issues, I've had nothing but fun drives and daily commutes (around 40 miles each day almost all highway).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:32 PM   #24
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Jesus Christ. My old E46 with its hated engine was good for 16 years with no major work, just one sump gasket, a new serpentine and plenty of oil changes.

Is the N55 really that bad??
--Long terms issues with the N55?

1) Valve cover gasket. It will likely leak within 5 years.

2) Oil filter housing gasket. It will likely leak within 5 years.

3) Overflow coolant line from radiator house to expansion tank. It will likely break within 5 years.

4) Charge pipe. It will likely break within 5 years.

5) Water pump. It will likely fail within 5-7 years.---

No. Not at all. Sound reliable motor overall.

Of all the items listed above, my M235i is 2014 model, no issues at all. Can they fail yes of course. It is a car, items wear out.

My dealer has the best things to say overall about the M235i. They do not see many issues major or minor at all.

I have 103,000km's total now. I drive the car year round along with the M2. Drive and enjoy. I follow the normal maintenance and at 100,000km with new fluid for the ZF8.
Appreciate 1
rainfall161.50