THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Racer20's 228i Track Handling Package Review

02-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #67
ssstraub
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I don't understand all the hate for F series interiors. They are perfectly competitive within the market, and are objectively better than the E82/E90 series cars in many ways.
Preach it! Love the F-series interiors, especially vs the E90.

Also I have WS80s on my RWD E46 and they've been great. Mother nature just dumped 12" on us this Sunday and it's been no problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #68
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

228 track package

This was an interesting, to say the least, review. I have my 228i with similar options as you have for a good four months already. I would rate the exterior a bit higher than your rating and the interior a touch lower. The engine is quite excellent and really has all the power one could ever want.
Transmission is fast and smooth except for a bit of a "jerk" when hitting acceleration in all driving modes. This can be alleviated by gradually going down on the accelerator. The steering in comfort mode is fine though it could use a bit more resistance; however, in sport mode it adds greater tightness and heft. I would prefer more resistance and heaviness at lower speeds but many people want more ease of steering for some strange reason.
Now the part of your review that flatters the 228i track handling package a bit more than it deserves. This being the ride and track suspension. The car is without doubt "jerky" and a bit "jittery" on everyday roads and that includes pretty good roads to boot! Even on open highways... If the road as a tiny blemish so to speak, the cars tires and suspension lets you "jump" or jiggle with it for a split second. It is quite disconcerting to say the least. What makes matters worse is that in sport or sport plus mode, the jitteriness on CERTAIN tar macs ( and I mean relatively flat roads is quite similar. Around town, you're lucky to feel comfortable driving the vehicle in sport mode and more unfortunate is that that is the mode with the tightest steering. All in all, I would rate the ride/handling a 6+ at best! I do not know if the m235 extra weight alleviates this any, but I believe the base 228 might have a better ride than the track package. On the other hand, if all you do is race this car on a TRACK, you have a lot to look forward to.
In the end... IMO, a fine car in every sense except for certain aspects of its ride and/or suspension.

Last edited by HowardM; 02-17-2015 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: Mistake spelling
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #69
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardM View Post
IMO, a fine car in every sense except for certain aspects of its ride and/or suspension.
I see that you're in New York, so I'm assuming you haven't been driving around on your Pilot Super Sports all winter. So what tires do you have on the car? Is it an xDrive?
      05-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #70
hpowders
228i Fanatic
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i and BMW 328i

A fine review! Can't wait to get my 228i coupe with track handling package in about 2 weeks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #71
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

A fine review and of great interest to me as my 228i is similar except it's an M Sport with Track handling package. I went all-in on the 228i rather than getting a M235i because I am staring down the barrel of two sets of college fees for my teenagers and I could not justify what is a significant price differential. I loved the handling and performance of the 228i M Sport with the Track Handling package and having test driven both it and the M235, my strong gut feeling is that there's only a tenth or two difference 0 - 60.

I agree with many of your very well argued points. The M Sport option does help the car's appearance, especially with the aggressive front intakes, as without it the car does look a little top-heavy but is otherwise a very well-proportioned, "boxy" coupe in the BMW 2-Series tradition. The 18" wheels and blue calipers also help.

You are absolutely right about the weak factory audio, which is just about the only non-upgraded aspect of my build and not very impressive. It simply lacks "presence". And you are right about crummy Bluetooth audio too. I have had to jury-rig an aux + USB connection for my old-school mechanical 64GB iPod and this works fine but is not supported by the iDrive interface.

Having read all the discussion here re. winter driving/maintenance challenges I am grateful to be in Southern California, on summer tires.

I find my version of the 228i to be a true driver's car and quite fierce when driven spiritedly in Sport or Sport + mode. It is my first automatic trans in 17 years and even though I miss the precision of a properly-deployed clutch, you have to admire the 8-speed automatic transmission and the 6-speed manual option with paddles.

The interior is very good both in design and driving ergonomics although my back still needs to adjust to not having a clutch. I like the iDrive with all the trimmings, especially the nav with live traffic output.

I believe that a LSD package (offered only on the M235 as far as I know) runs to about $2800…

All in all, I think the 228i, especially when beefed up with all the performance enhancements, is a really impressive car. I can understand why you did not get the M Sport, because you have other, very sporty BMWs in your garage, but mine is both DD and weekend fun car and it continues to impress me in both roles.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #72
HowardM
Banned
Rep

228i 2015 with track handling package suspension
8 month update:
Well, eight months of driving this car in Napa ca on everyday roads and highway driving...( pilot sport tires)
Unfortunately, I can't wait to get out of this lease! A jittery and unsatusfying ride on most roads with a lack of "road hugging" to say the least. Never expected this after a test drive of base model and m235i before leasing.
Steering is ok but only in sport mode is it hefty with good resistance. Sport mode suspension is jittery and jumpy even on relatively flat , everyday roads.
Damn... Even on straight highway roads the car does not "glide" over the tiniest imperfections
No BMW synchophant here!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:47 AM   #73
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
TBH I have the track package and I think the ride is smooth, much better than the few times I test drove an e90 with runflats. I don't remember my experiences with an e46 enough to judge. And I'm coming from a pillowy Toyota...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #74
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardM
8 month update:
Well, eight months of driving this car in Napa ca on everyday roads and highway driving...( pilot sport tires)
Unfortunately, I can't wait to get out of this lease! A jittery and unsatusfying ride on most roads with a lack of "road hugging" to say the least. Never expected this after a test drive of base model and m235i before leasing.
Steering is ok but only in sport mode is it hefty with good resistance. Sport mode suspension is jittery and jumpy even on relatively flat , everyday roads.
Damn... Even on straight highway roads the car does not "glide" over the tiniest imperfections
No BMW synchophant here!
Howard

What's your cold tire pressure? Anything over the factory recommendation on your door jamb will result in a pretty big ride degradation.

Even 1-2 psi can push it over the edge. I actually run mine 1-2 psi low for that reason.
      05-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #75
CE750Jockey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M240 'vert 6MT

Quote:
Howard

What's your cold tire pressure? Anything over the factory recommendation on your door jamb will result in a pretty big ride degradation.

Even 1-2 psi can push it over the edge. I actually run mine 1-2 psi low for that reason.
Racer20, I assume you've now replaced your snows with the PSSs. What are your impressions of the car with the summer tires? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #76
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
8 month update:
No BMW synchophant here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
TBH I have the track package and I think the ride is smooth, much better than the few times I test drove an e90 with runflats. I don't remember my experiences with an e46 enough to judge. And I'm coming from a pillowy Toyota...
I am a bit surprised by the top review as well. My wife is fairly sensitive to a "bumpy" ride, now transitioning from her 08 MB E Class to a 16 Audi A6, but she is very comfortable when I choose the Comfort setting. Our roads are awful here in Michigan, but we do well with 32 psi front and 37 psi rear. Our conclusion seems more consistent with Caycep's. I should mention that I switched to 17" Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 to cope with our lunar landscape pavement.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:47 PM   #77
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CE750Jockey View Post
Racer20, I assume you've now replaced your snows with the PSSs. What are your impressions of the car with the summer tires? Thanks.
About what I expected. The ride is quite comfortable in normal mode, but a little underdamped on larger swells. In sport mode, it's firmer, and a bit busy on some roads, but I usually have no issue leaving it in sport if that's the mood I'm in. I could see how sport mode might have trouble with certain kinds of roads though.

Before I comment on the steering, I should mention that I recently drove an ATS-V, which has phenomenal steering. It puts any BMW I've ever driven to shame. That said, the steering on the 228i is decent. In sport it has good response and builds effort as you dial in more lateral acceleration. The on-center feel still leaves something to be desired compared to the ATS, and the dampers could use some minor adjustment.

Minor complaints and unfair comparisons aside, I still think the 228i is a fantastic overall package, and for my purpose (daily commute, wife's errands, etc.), there's no better option under $40k. I do wish it had a "normal" mode in between comfort and sport . . . that would be the sweet spot for ride and handling I think. I've been driving my ZHP a lot lately. I think I still prefer the ZHP by a slim margin purely for driving enjoyment, but the 228i has all the tech and comfort things going for it to make up for that.
      05-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #78
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I am a bit surprised by the top review as well. My wife is fairly sensitive to a "bumpy" ride, now transitioning from her 08 MB E Class to a 16 Audi A6, but she is very comfortable when I choose the Comfort setting. Our roads are awful here in Michigan, but we do well with 32 psi front and 37 psi rear. Our conclusion seems more consistent with Caycep's. I should mention that I switched to 17" Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 to cope with our lunar landscape pavement.
I am running 31 and 35psi. I haven't tried going lower, but this seems to be a reasonable setting for ride. (If you're carrying 4 people + luggage or exceeding 100mph frequently, stick with the recommended pressures.)
      06-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #79
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

I'm surprised at some of the things I'm reading here. I have had my 228 Track Package for a little over 5 months, 6K miles and I love this car! I don't find the ride to be "jerky" or "jittery" at all, especially in Comfort mode and not even in Sport mode. What some are describing as "jerky" others might call "responsive". It's an incredibly fun car to drive in either mode and a terrific DD. For those of you who are dealing with back issues, I would strongly, and I mean STRONGLY recommend the power seats with lumbar adjustment. I have struggled with back pain while driving for years now, but with the lumbar support on my 228 dialed up as high as it will go, I have been able to drive completely pain free. I can't describe how great that is after years of pain on longer (like an hour or more) drives. Yes, it's expensive because you can only get it with the full Premium package, but how much is the complete elimination of pain while driving worth? Besides I also love the Comfort Access so I'm very glad I went for the Premium package.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #80
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1 View Post
I'm surprised at some of the things I'm reading here. I have had my 228 Track Package for a little over 5 months, 6K miles and I love this car! I don't find the ride to be "jerky" or "jittery" at all, especially in Comfort mode and not even in Sport mode. What some are describing as "jerky" others might call "responsive". It's an incredibly fun car to drive in either mode and a terrific DD. For those of you who are dealing with back issues, I would strongly, and I mean STRONGLY recommend the power seats with lumbar adjustment. I have struggled with back pain while driving for years now, but with the lumbar support on my 228 dialed up as high as it will go, I have been able to drive completely pain free. I can't describe how great that is after years of pain on longer (like an hour or more) drives. Yes, it's expensive because you can only get it with the full Premium package, but how much is the complete elimination of pain while driving worth? Besides I also love the Comfort Access so I'm very glad I went for the Premium package.

Interestingly enough I had some back pain the way I first adjusted the seats, then someone mentioned that it wasn't so great to have a backwards tilt to the seat bottom, so I adjusted them to be flat/level. They've been super comfy ever since.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:01 PM   #81
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardM
8 month update:
No BMW synchophant here!
Howard, I've seen some instances where dealers have forgotten to take out the shipping blocks inserted in the struts at the factory. That would explain your experience. I would strongly suggest having your dealer check that or checking it yourself.
      06-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #82
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Interestingly, R&T complained about the jittery ride as well. I'd be curious if the non-adaptive M-Sport suspension has the same issue.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #83
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

I've often said that one's impressions of the car they're driving now are heavily influenced by the last car they had. I came out of a MINI S intro the 228i with THP. The MINI was a very fun car to drive but it suffered greatly from both torque steer and bump steer, mainly I think, because of the FWD. I really liked the MINI and probably would have gotten another one if they hadn't screwed up the styling so badly, but hitting a bump, especially on a turn at any kind of speed, was a harrowing experience. I would call that car "jittery". By comparison the 228 is glued to the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #84
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

After reading this thread I'm glad I'm opting to get the regular 228 with Premium, cold weather and lighting. 6MT of course. I really like the ride and if I should need more out of the suspension I will go the KW V3 route with better tires than the run flats. I think GSR got it right. I orginally wanted to build one with just the lighting and THP with a manual but now that I have read all the comments and thought about it, I think I'm more the kind of guy who wants to adjust my own suspension and have it be predicable versus having gizmos do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 05:06 PM   #85
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

dinan shockware
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #86
HowardM
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post

I have adjusted my tire pressure almost everyday since I have this car. I currently have it at 32 and 37 which makes it 'appear' a bit more comfortable. I am not aware that I could change the tires to 17" Michelin as?? Maybe this could help but I don't have snow or much rain so I kept the tires the car came with in the track handling package.
I recently read an early review from one of the big magazines expressing the 235i lack of grip and jittery suspension on certain tar macs... I thought there was something wrong with me! I know now that this car's suspension settings and/ or tires as they are in conjunction to each other leave something to be desired. The comfort mode is sometimes more suited to highway driving as the suspension glides more while steering tightens up at higher speeds. The car is an enigma to me as it is
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #87
HowardM
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I am running 31 and 35psi. I haven't tried going lower, but this seems to be a reasonable setting for ride. (If you're carrying 4 people + luggage or exceeding 100mph frequently, stick with the recommended pressures.)
I am going to try running the car at the tire pressures you are using ; 31 and 35 or 36 psi and see if things change a bit. Let me be perfectly clear; the ride is good by all means. However: the cars suspension for me, is close to ideal ONLY when I'm on a straight highway in comfort mode. The sport mode initially " tricks" you with a good tight steering... But I can be on a good, straight highway and then the road has a tiny tint split hair of a change in its straight level... And the car gives you a little twang or bounce instead of streaming over it "steadily". This is what is troubling about this track "m" suspension
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #88
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am going to try running the car at the tire pressures you are using ; 31 and 35 or 36 psi and see if things change a bit. Let me be perfectly clear; the ride is good by all means. However: the cars suspension for me, is close to ideal ONLY when I'm on a straight highway in comfort mode. The sport mode initially " tricks" you with a good tight steering... But I can be on a good, straight highway and then the road has a tiny tint split hair of a change in its straight level... And the car gives you a little twang or bounce instead of streaming over it "steadily". This is what is troubling about this track "m" suspension
Ok, now I understand. I actually agree with you . . . as my car has broken in and the weather gets warmer, the "holes" in the semi-active shocks algorithm have started to stand out more, and there are some situations where it is less than ideal. I could go into a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo as to why, but if you want to get into that, http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942225. I wrote it as a response to an F30 owner who had similar complaints to yours, and it was shortened to a front page article.

Anyway, many of the things I don't like are related to the software control. I'm going to try Dinan's Shockware and see if it fixes some of the issues that I have with it. It might be a couple months before I get to it, but I'll report back when I do.

That said, I think it is still an excellent package for $35-40K. No car is perfect, and this car is still better to drive than any new car in its class.