THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Upcoming End of Lease

12-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #1
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Upcoming End of Lease

My M235i Vert comes off of lease next March. I am considering buying it, but I suspect it is not worth the residual. I've seen several people comment about getting better deals from the dealer. How have people gone about negotiating that?

If it makes any difference, I'm in Texas. I know I will already get hit for paying sales tax again, so I'd rather not also take a hit on the price :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
My M235i Vert comes off of lease next March. I am considering buying it, but I suspect it is not worth the residual. I've seen several people comment about getting better deals from the dealer. How have people gone about negotiating that?

If it makes any difference, I'm in Texas. I know I will already get hit for paying sales tax again, so I'd rather not also take a hit on the price :-)
Of course, I found multiple threads in the general forum after posting this. Never mind :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Not 100% sure on Texas but most states you only pay on the portion of the car you use during lease, so in most cases no double tax. If your car was $50k and the residual is $30k, you'd only have paid tax on the $20 so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not 100% sure on Texas but most states you only pay on the portion of the car you use during lease, so in most cases no double tax. If your car was $50k and the residual is $30k, you'd only have paid tax on the $20 so far.
I believe Texas is one of those states where even on a lease you owe sales tax on the full value of the car, not just the depreciation down to the residual.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 03:50 AM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
Quote:
I believe Texas is one of those states where even on a lease you owe sales tax on the full value of the car, not just the depreciation down to the residual.
Ok in which case I'd check with the dealer they have to know what to do here - in terms of logistics - but I can't imagine you'd pay 2x.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #6
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok in which case I'd check with the dealer they have to know what to do here - in terms of logistics - but I can't imagine you'd pay 2x.
My understanding is that in Texas you pay sales tax on the full negotiated price of the car when you lease it, not just the depreciation. The state considers that to be a sale of the car to the leasing company and taxes it in full, but the leasing company of course charge it back to you.

Then if you buy the car off lease, you pay full sales tax on the value of that transaction. So effectively the residual value does gets taxed twice.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #7
stealth-twntrbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 740xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post

The dealer will get an A B payoff and you might be able to pay less than residual if BMW dynamic pricing is less. You will have to pay the customer loyalty adder but it still can be significantly less than residual but it is up to the dealer to provide you with that savings
Appreciate 0