THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Improving straight-line launch times (+ some accelerometer insights)

11-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #23
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
try 35 do a run, try 32 do another run try 29 and do another.... don't go below 29 or so....also just do it for the rear... no need to take pressure off the front just in case anybody wonders....
Thanks, I'll give that a try next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #24
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
so your best time was with dsc off in first? what rpm did launch it at?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #25
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
so your best time was with dsc off in first? what rpm did launch it at?
I'm not sure what gear it launched in, but yeah DSC Off was by far the best (until, potentially, I retry Launch Control with a lower tire PSI). If the Sport modes launch in second, there's a good chance this "hidden" DSC Off mode also did. I didn't note the rpm, either, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #26
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It will take slicks to get a good 60 foot and match an AWD launch. You're pretty much stuck in mid 1.9 to 2.0 60 foot range and 0 to 60mph in the 4s.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #27
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It will take slicks to get a good 60 foot and match an AWD launch. You're pretty much stuck in mid 1.9 to 2.0 60 foot range and 0 to 60mph in the 4s.
I got a 1.8 60 foot the other day at irwindale dragway
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #28
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

Last Thursday, the intercooler installation took the shop much longer than expected to install, so they didn't have time to put in the Dinan S3 tuner. I was curious how much of a difference the intercooler alone would make (subjectively, it seemed more responsive in day-to-day driving), so headed to my spot to put it to the test:

0-60 Times:

DSC Off ... 4.38 sec
Sport+ ... 4.39 sec

0.2 seconds better! This is in spite of the fact it was a full 10 degrees hotter than my last run. Also, as far as the parity between Sport+ and DSC Off this time, it might simply be that I launched from further back towards the dead-end in the road on the previous Sport+ run, where there's more sand and pebbles. Paradoxically, I did hear/feel more screeching and wheel-spin with Sport+ (vs. DSC off), but it could be a coincidence.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see what the tuner will do (next Thursday). And at some point I'll get around to trying out LC again with lower rear tire pressure.

Last edited by martopoulos; 11-12-2016 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Off by 1, hah
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #29
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martopoulos View Post
Last Thursday, the intercooler installation took the shop much longer than expected to install, so they didn't have time to put in the Dinan S3 tuner. I was curious how much of a difference the intercooler alone would make (subjectively, it seemed more responsive in day-to-day driving), so headed to my spot to put it to the test:

0-60 Times:

DSC Off ... 3.38 sec
Sport+ ... 3.39 sec

0.2 seconds better! This is in spite of the fact it was a full 10 degrees hotter than my last run. Also, as far as the parity between Sport+ and DSC Off this time, it might simply be that I launched from further back towards the dead-end in the road on the previous Sport+ run, where there's more sand and pebbles. Paradoxically, I did hear/feel more screeching and wheel-spin with Sport+ (vs. DSC off), but it could be a coincidence.

Anyway, I'm anxious to see what the tuner will do (next Thursday). And at some point I'll get around to trying out LC again with lower rear tire pressure.
damn.... 3.38 without the tune ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #30
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
damn.... 3.38 without the tune ?
Whoops, that should read 4.38. Not sure how I made that mistake.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #31
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

Major disappointment. The Dinan stage 3 tuner either was installed improperly (though you'd think some kind of code would be thrown) or is simply worthless. I couldn't get launch times below 4.41, in spite of much cooler weather than last time. I also felt a drop off in power after a few seconds during a WOT that I don't recall experiencing pre-tuner. I really hope something is simply off, otherwise I'll be getting a refund for sure.

The Android app that controls the tuner via Bluetooth is also extremely flakey. It fails to enable stage 3 at least 9 times out of 10, only allowing 2 or below. I don't get it.

EDIT: Just a thought: to get to the spot where I test mods, I have to drive for about 35 minutes. I'd call my driving style on the spirited side, but nothing outrageous. With the Stage 3 map on during the drive down, could oil temp have been too high by the time I reached the spot? I'm thinking of deactivating the map (Bypass mode) on the drive down and taking it easy until I get to the strip to compare (and turning on that hidden menu to watch temps).

Last edited by martopoulos; 11-20-2016 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #32
SliChillax
First Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: Ex BMW owner, will return soon

Garage List
I have the 8 speed, rwd model with Dunlop Sportmaxx RT tires (255 in the back). I also have JB4 on map 2, armytrix catless downpipe and muffler delete although that doesn't add any power. Best time I got on 98 octane fuel was 4.8 seconds to 62mph. 62-124mph was 9.8 seconds though. Measured with vbox. I was highly disappointed with the launch tbh. Tires were warm and the weather was just a bit chilly. Launched it in sport + just floored it from 0rpm. I didn't bother with launch control as it always spins up my tires. I'll try it with DSC off next time. Did you launch from 0rpm or 2000rpm?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #33
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
I have the 8 speed, rwd model with Dunlop Sportmaxx RT tires (255 in the back). I also have JB4 on map 2, armytrix catless downpipe and muffler delete although that doesn't add any power. Best time I got on 98 octane fuel was 4.8 seconds to 62mph. 62-124mph was 9.8 seconds though. Measured with vbox. I was highly disappointed with the launch tbh. Tires were warm and the weather was just a bit chilly. Launched it in sport + just floored it from 0rpm. I didn't bother with launch control as it always spins up my tires. I'll try it with DSC off next time. Did you launch from 0rpm or 2000rpm?
Hmm, do you have a convertible? Surprised you haven't been able to drop below 4.8. That or my Matrix Accelerometer is off by a lot. I've been launching from 0 rpm and holding the brake down for a second or two with my left foot to keep the car from inching forward before the throttle kicks in, keeping the accelerometer from starting the clock early (if it even works that way, dunno).

If my theory about oil temperature preventing me from taking advantage of the tuner is right, then heat plays a big role here. An intercooler immediately shaved off 0.2 seconds. Wouldn't be surprised if I need to upgrade the oil coolers as well. IIRC, in Europe you only get one oil cooler, which might hinder your performance, too.

(P.S. Hey, my grandparents were from Albania!)
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 11:34 PM   #34
Jeggers
Rep
Drives: former 15 M235xi Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by martopoulos View Post
Major disappointment. The Dinan stage 3 tuner either was installed improperly (though you'd think some kind of code would be thrown) or is simply worthless. I couldn't get launch times below 4.41, in spite of much cooler weather than last time. I also felt a drop off in power after a few seconds during a WOT that I don't recall experiencing pre-tuner. I really hope something is simply off, otherwise I'll be getting a refund for sure.

The Android app that controls the tuner via Bluetooth is also extremely flakey. It fails to enable stage 3 at least 9 times out of 10, only allowing 2 or below. I don't get it.

EDIT: Just a thought: to get to the spot where I test mods, I have to drive for about 35 minutes. I'd call my driving style on the spirited side, but nothing outrageous. With the Stage 3 map on during the drive down, could oil temp have been too high by the time I reached the spot? I'm thinking of deactivating the map (Bypass mode) on the drive down and taking it easy until I get to the strip to compare (and turning on that hidden menu to watch temps).
If you don't mind me asking, who is your installer? I am also in LA and about to pull the trigger on the P3 package, but haven't decided on a shop yet. If you don't want to post, please PM. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 08:24 PM   #35
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

So, I enabled the oil temperature display option in the hidden menu today and drove out to the usual spot (air temp: 76 deg). When I arrived, oil temp read 110 deg C. I turned the engine off and waited 15 minutes-- temp dropped to 103 deg C. I then tested a launch again in DSC off mode. Same readings; no improvements to 0-60 times.

As far as the flakiness of the app, I figured *that* one out, at least. You are supposed to change mapping with the ignition on but engine off. Once I realized that, I was able to switch between bypass mode and the various stages successfully (at least, according to the app).

It seems unlikely that anything is incorrectly installed. Dinan support said if that were the case, the car would be throwing codes all over the place and possibly not even start up. So, I'm thinking of returning the ECU tuner. Really disappointing! I'm beginning to believe the people who claim Dinan tuners are a scam. I'm not sure what else to check here.

Last edited by martopoulos; 11-24-2016 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #36
martopoulos
Private First Class
Rep

(Thought I'd update this thread, too).

With rear tires at 35 psi, I managed to use Launch Control mode (4.32 sec). However, I still got a better run (or just tied) with DSC Off: 4.28 sec. Whether this is just a case of better traction or not is unclear, but all other things were apparently equal with previous runs, afaik. Ambient temp was 63 deg, had half a tank of gas.

(So, yeah, the Dinan stage 3 tune is definitely a conservative one, as people say, but hey at least there's an improvement to both 0-60 and the quarter mile now).
Appreciate 0