THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Noise coming from center dash around nav

03-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #1
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Noise coming from center dash around nav

Noticing a TON of noise coming from the center area of the car, mainly where the HVAC is and Navigation.

I took out the vents and applied felt tape literally everywhere I could to try and stop it...but the car continues to make random noises in this area. If you touch the back-part of the Navigation screen is makes a loud creaking sound like the plastic is warped. I don't know if it's always been like this (or if it's even the culprit) but curious if anyone else has this issue?

Sometimes the noise is random (I mean it sounds like its coming from around the vent area) but sometimes the noises move with the car (most noticeable in Sport+ Mode).

The noise is a mixture of "creaking", "popping", and/or "clicking".

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I have a very similar problem in nearly the exact manner and place you described. It's a cross between creaking and clicking. Sounds like it's inside the dash. No fix but I got used to it. Probably not the answer you are looking for but I can sympathize.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I have a very similar problem in nearly the exact manner and place you described. It's a cross between creaking and clicking. Sounds like it's inside the dash. No fix but I got used to it. Probably not the answer you are looking for but I can sympathize.
Sometimes the noise coming from the vent / center area is attributed to the plastic flexing due to temperature change...mainly when turning on the car or turning on the air / heat (aka temp change)...which is normal.

What's not normal is random flexing / creaking / cracking during driving when the car is already at a steady temp. I took out the vents and put felt tape literally everywhere and it helped a little...but I feel like the plastic casing around the Navigation screen is warped or something. I dunno it's starting to drive me up the wall.

I don't understand why they used so many cheap-plastic parts on the interiors of this car. We didn't buy an M235/240 for the interior!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I noticed that in the engine bay at the top of the firewall there are some ventilation flaps (center) and if stiff leaves or twigs get in that area or even down at the base of the windshield wipers or under the cladding for brake reservoir or electrical terminal for jump start - that the noise can seem to be inside the dash.
I use the vacuum and blower modes of a wet/dry vac to keep the area clean and dry after a wash.
Appreciate 0