THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW Parts Up Close

03-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #1
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

BMW Parts Up Close

My local CCA chapter had a Tech Day event hosted by a local dealer, Motorwerks BMW. This has become an annual event, where the dealers top mechanics present new BMW technology bits to the club.

This year they covered the tools they use to troubleshoot the cars. Surprisingly, they didn't like the official BMW tools very much. They spent a lot of time on unusual tools, like the FLIR camera they use for several things. They showed how they use the FLIR for finding bad comfort access connectors in door handles (they get hot), and diagnosing heated seat and steering wheel issues.

The highlight for me are the part displays. They have several large tables loaded with parts from different cars, many of them disassembled, with the relevant ISTA docs explaining various things. They use these parts to train mechanics, and talk with customers to explain repairs. There is a long informal question and answer period with the mechanics hanging around the tables to answer questions. Last year, the thing I found most fascinating is how the DME computer on some engines is mounted to the intake manifold, with the metal base of the housing exposed to the intake air flow to cool the DME down.

These were some of the cool things they had this year. I've put the picture inline to better comment on them, so apologize for having at the end as attachments also.

This is the automatic shift assembly. On an intellectual level, you know it's all electronic. But actually seeing it out of the car like this, you realize it's really nothing more than a computer joystick. No mechanical attachment at all. Just a box with a plug on the side.
Name:  cca shifter.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  124.8 KB

This is an M Active Differential. You can see the electric motor on the bottom right that actually does the lockup. It drives the matching gear on the axle that controls the actual lockup clutch. Neat to see how it's controlled by the electric motor, and not traditional clutch packs. Also amazing that it can actuate and spin fast enough to lock/unlock sub-second.
Name:  cca differential.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  231.2 KB

This is a cutaway of a 6 cylinder head (I think they said from an N55). You can see where the spark plug comes in, and the direct fuel injection. Not obvious in this picture, but you could also pick it up and see how the valves and intake/exhaust paths all fit together. It was fun to see how complex the head casting is, and how all the parts go together. They had some other more fully assembled heads they were using to explain VANOS.
Name:  cca head.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  193.7 KB

They also had some parts in various levels of destruction. This is what happens when you lose a brake pad, then ignore the squealing as the backing plate grinds away along with most of the disc, until the brake cylinder ejects, gets stuck in the disc, locks the wheel up completely, and then get the car towed in. Just wow.
Name:  cca bad disc.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  194.4 KB
Appreciate 14
WolfGTI688.50
mdputnam288.50
Miata1385.50
BM235iW97.00
cxp213313.00
Viffermike1753.00
harma24402.50
Dylan861330.00
Poochie9099.00
Tpeterson156.50
      03-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #2
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Good info thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Great post, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Wish there was something like that around here. Very interesting!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

CAN Bus troubleshooting

This is a picture from the event. The BMW mechanic is showing how they use an oscilloscope to troubleshoot CAN BUS issues. It's hooked up to the older 328 in the back. Here you can see that there are two CAN signals, CAN+ and CAN-. They car will actually run mostly fine if one of these is shorted, but may act wonky. Super easy to see with the o-scope. Typical process is to start unplugging a few things, usually the wonky thing first, and see if the signal stabilizes. They actually shorted one side to demonstrate.

Photo credit: North Star BMW CCA and Motorwerks BMW
Name:  cca canbus.png
Views: 485
Size:  563.9 KB

A bit later they had the engine CAN on the lower half of the screen. It graphically showed how much faster the engine CAN BUS operates than the body CAN. The engine CAN will also fail if either side is shorted. Apparently on purpose, as it is safety critical.

To demonstrate, they shorted the engine CAN, both signals went bad, and the window wipers started working. He said that the wipers are often a symptom of a failing engine CAN. Apparently partially tied in for speed compensation. So, if your car starts running bad, and the wipers turn on, your engine CAN is broke.

He didn't show it, but said the brake CAN runs even faster.

And again, thanks to Motorwerks BMW for sponsoring such a great event, and my local CCA chapter for organizing. This is a shameless plug for the BMW CCA. If you aren't a member, you should really consider joining.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      03-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

You mean, there's an actual engine under the hood?

Seriously, very nice post.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #7
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

I've attended three of these sessions and this was by far the best.
I just wish I would have won one of the two trips to the BMW performance center that were raffled off.

Last edited by Tpeterson; 03-11-2018 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0