THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Breaking in new m235i

01-20-2016, 01:52 PM   #23
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I think I waited 17 miles before I put the loud pedal down. Break in is highly over-rated.

Majority of the wear and break in happens at the factory.

Biggest problem I see is when people buy cars from different states then drive 400 miles or more on a long trip home, that's the worst.

Heat cycling the engine and varying RPM is how to do a proper break in. That includes time letting the engine cool.
See post #10 in this thread. Not saying that it's absolutely true, but seems legit. I have a 4 hour drive home after picking up the car from PCD. Most of which is pretty flat, so I'll be doing a lot of gear changes to vary the engine speed. That's all I can do so it's whatever. :/

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #24
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

Wow !! That's amazing... Yes its certainly a must on any engine break in !! Thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted_six View Post
This is pretty much how I normally do it too!

I think dropping the oil is a must after break in. I had a magnetic sump plug on an Civic type R, after swapping in new cams and valve springs the next oil change presented a large clump of iron particles on the magnet. Imagine the material from a whole new engine!

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 10:34 PM   #25
Donut
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235 - Alpine White

Just did my first oil change yesterday after 4000km, which the stealership here don't offer as a part of their service plan. Oil color was slight brown and still translucent but definitely lots of metal deposits, oil looked almost "shiny" under sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #26
Hemisedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Coming in March: 2016 BMW M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I think I waited 17 miles before I put the loud pedal down. Break in is highly over-rated.

Majority of the wear and break in happens at the factory.

Biggest problem I see is when people buy cars from different states then drive 400 miles or more on a long trip home, that's the worst.

Heat cycling the engine and varying RPM is how to do a proper break in. That includes time letting the engine cool.
Guess that I'm going to be in deep do-do, as I live just over 1,000 miles for the PCD in Spartanburg. But, I've always bought my Mini's in Chicago, then drove the 300 miles back to Iowa, in a break in manner. This time, it'll just be a longer break in period than usual. One thing you mentioned, that will please my wife, is to stop often just to let the car cool off bit. That also makes sense. And, driving thru the Smokie Mountains will be good for the little beast, especially that this will take place after the 2 hour drive from Spartanburg to Ashville, NC, which is on the edge of those mountains. March 9th is coming soon.
Appreciate 0