THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning RaceChip Ultimate discussion thread

02-16-2015, 07:15 AM   #23
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
Mate my recommendation as per the stage 2 Performance settings are E-2 for the M235i !! Give that a go and watch what happens !! I cannot see this setting throwing any codes either So its safe to go there !!
Thanks chaddy74 !! I will do some testings with the factory defaults and then I will try this configuration.

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #24
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
The "horsepower" number you get with scangauge or any other obd2 app are completely bogus.
I agree alz0rz , this is just a reference I'm using, because there is actually a change now than previous, the bogus reading before was lower than now.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #25
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt View Post
Thanks for the info AlexGT Can you show where you put the box?

Also what octane are you running?

Thanks!
Sure thing configt . I'm running 95 octane.

And here is where I installed the box. I preferred that place rather than the other side of the engine to avoid extreme heat coming to the unit, even that RaceChip says that is heat/water resistance, I wanted to be more careful with the box

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #26
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

If you have enough cable you might want to consider putting the box under the black plastic shroud, up and to your right in the picture. The rubber seal already has a gap that will allow the cable harness to pass through and still seal when the hood is closed. This is where I put my aFe Scorcher box and keeps it good and safe. This is good news to hear about the increase you are feeling. Your 95 Octane rating in your country is what method, RON, MON, or AKI (US and Canada method)?

Come March I will be installing after my yearly service check at the dealership. If the power feels more than the aFe I will go back to my Dyno shop for another couple pulls so it can be compare to the previous pulls I did with the Dinan and BMS units.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #27
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Mate my recommendation as per the stage 2 Performance settings are E-2 for the M235i !! Give that a go and watch what happens !! I cannot see this setting throwing any codes either So its safe to go there !!
I don't recommend increasing his settings so soon, but those E-2 should perfect later on when he finishes getting a feeling and the chip adapting to his car (weather, octane, have different variables).
I did hear the Diesel folks over in the F15 found E/2 and E/3 to be their perfect increase after driving different settings. Of course factory setting is good too but each car will react a tiny different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
The "horsepower" number you get with scangauge or any other obd2 app are completely bogus.
I use dash command and torque pro, when configured right in Advanced Settings entering all the specification numbers for your vehicle, weight, drive ratio etc HP/TQ numbers do seem more in line to whats really going on.
For ex, my friend has X3 28i w/ Dinan and he has his settings entered correctly and his reading was giving me the exact dinan numbers (Crank numbers).
Now i'm getting more than him and its obviously true because my RC X3 28i is faster than his and the HP/TQ are higher than his which equals to X3 35i performance. In my eyes something is close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
If you have enough cable you might want to consider putting the box under the black plastic shroud, up and to your right in the picture. The rubber seal already has a gap that will allow the cable harness to pass through and still seal when the hood is closed. This is where I put my aFe Scorcher box and keeps it good and safe. This is good news to hear about the increase you are feeling. Your 95 Octane rating in your country is what method, RON, MON, or AKI (US and Canada method)?

Come March I will be installing after my yearly service check at the dealership. If the power feels more than the aFe I will go back to my Dyno shop for another couple pulls so it can be compare to the previous pulls I did with the Dinan and BMS units.
How much your dyno shop charged you?
I am going to a DynoDay event $40 for 4 pulls, AWD dyno and they advised it reads low..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Sure thing configt . I'm running 95 octane.
And here is where I installed the box. I preferred that place rather than the other side of the engine to avoid extreme heat coming to the unit, even that RaceChip says that is heat/water resistance, I wanted to be more careful with the box
I installed mine on a metal surface away from the engine bay.

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 09:12 AM   #28
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:

Yes, thanks for mentioning octane rating type.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #29
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:

Delnari , thanks for that suggestion, I will move it to there this weekend

Sorry but I truly don't know which method my country has for the octane rating, but I offer you I will try and find out
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #30
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Okay, I did an Internet search and Guatemala is using RON method for Octane Rating. So as comparison, 95 RON is about 90.25 AKI (USA scale). I would leave your setting at "B1" with this grade of fuel. If you can find 98 RON Octane then you might want to try the "E1 or E2" setting to avoid engine knock and/or CEL.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #31
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Quote:
Okay, I did an Internet search and Guatemala is using RON method for Octane Rating. So as comparison, 95 RON is about 90.25 AKI (USA scale). I would leave your setting at "B1" with this grade of fuel. If you can find 98 RON Octane then you might want to try the "E1 or E2" setting to avoid engine knock and/or CEL.
Awesome, thanks for looking that up Delnari. I think you guys might have convinced me to pick this unit up.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #32
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

I had a lengthy chat with the Racechip Technical department late last night around modifications and settings. The head Tech and engineer at Racechip runs the Racechip ultimate on his M235i ..... Its fitted with a 200Cel sports cat,full exhaust and larger Intercooler which is made by Wagner. The settings he runs on 98 Pump gas is F1 and the car produces 400HP !!!
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #33
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
According to the manual and both Tech Support from USA and Germany they have mentioned S1 is only meant for Diesel cars. So basically, his B1 is recommended for 50-100 miles and then he can increase 1 tick at a time to C1 .. We ignore S1=1 and we just move S2=B to C ..

Also, I just got word from a 2011 550 fellow who has had RC since November, those bigger engines require less increase and he's been at stock setting since and has been more than happy.

Quote:
I had a lengthy chat with the Racechip Technical department late last night around modifications and settings. The head Tech and engineer at Racechip runs the Racechip ultimate on his M235i ..... Its fitted with a 200Cel sports cat,full exhaust and larger Intercooler which is made by Wagner. The settings he runs on 98 Pump gas is F1 and the car produces 400HP !!!
Wow! I believe it
Were you able to ask on the S1 lever ?

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #34
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Just to be sure everyone understands that in Germany 98 RON is the equivalent of 93 AKI in the USA. I was looking at the Wagner catted downpipe a few months back but held off due to the 2-month lag between order and shipping to US. Sounds like the intake, downpipe, and intercooler makes for great engine numbers when combined with the Racechip and 93 AKI fuel.
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #35
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yes S1 is used for where the power starts and stops in the RPM range on Diesel cars !! The higher the number the wider the powerband.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
According to the manual and both Tech Support from USA and Germany they have mentioned S1 is only meant for Diesel cars. So basically, his B1 is recommended for 50-100 miles and then he can increase 1 tick at a time to C1 .. We ignore S1=1 and we just move S2=B to C ..

Also, I just got word from a 2011 550 fellow who has had RC since November, those bigger engines require less increase and he's been at stock setting since and has been more than happy.

Wow! I believe it
Were you able to ask on the S1 lever ?

Last edited by chaddy74; 02-16-2015 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #36
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Also another interesting observation for any newbies !! As you can see I have the Manhart stage 2 Tune at $2000 Bucks !! Folks I believe Racechip would appear to be potentially behind the hardware development of this unit also as the technology is the same and at $500 buck it really is Bang for buck !! BUT there is one difference and that is the Manhart Stage 2 hardware and wiring loom has an extra sensor and pickup. Its the cam angle sensor for RPM I believe !! Just an observation. I have been running the Manhart on Max setting for 6 Months never one issue.... with some really solid Vbox data and results. I will now compare this data once I have installed the Racechip Ultimate and crank it up and report.

Last edited by chaddy74; 02-16-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #37
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
That's very valuable information Delnari , thanks a lot! Now I know I should stick with the factory defaults.

In addition, I wrote a note to RaceChips this morning about changing the settings and they replied back:

RaceChip Chiptuning Dear Alejandro, Thank you for your message. Yes, you can now change S2 from B to E. Switch S1 is out of function for your vehicle. S1 is responsible to increase the power of the chip. So you can now go step to step higher with S2 and find your own individual power level. If you experience any issues go back one or two steps on the dial. Best Regards, Chris

So that means we shouldn't be moving the S1 settings as per RaceChip's advice.

Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #38
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Wow! That's practically the same setup I have on my car!!! (I'm still waiting for the delivey of my ER 200cel Downpipe) Too bad I can't get hands on 98 octane fuel in my country
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 01:36 PM   #39
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

On petrol cars yes !

So that means we shouldn't be moving the S1 settings as per RaceChip's advice.

[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #40
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I Give my car 2L of e85 to a tank to bump up the octane !! so I fill will 98 then bump with 2L e85 to get close to 100 octane !! Never had 1 issue car loves it also i
Quote:
Wow! That's practically the same setup I have on my car!!! (I'm still waiting for the delivey of my ER 200cel Downpipe) Too bad I can't get hands on 98 octane fuel in my country
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #41
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
Just to be sure everyone understands that in Germany 98 RON is the equivalent of 93 AKI in the USA. I was looking at the Wagner catted downpipe a few months back but held off due to the 2-month lag between order and shipping to US. Sounds like the intake, downpipe, and intercooler makes for great engine numbers when combined with the Racechip and 93 AKI fuel.
Yeah, I was looking at that same downpipe too, but got bored of waiting to be in stock, so I purchased the ER 200cel catted, they should ship it between today and tomorrow (I hope)

I already have Wagner's Performance intercooler, MPE and thinking of just placing a drop in filter from BMC to the OEM intake... I'm still wondering if the aFe Momentum doesn't get chocked when accelerating hard after a long traffic jam or when the weather is hot...
Appreciate 2
      02-16-2015, 01:44 PM   #42
AlexGT
Captain
Guatemala
Rep

Quote:
I Give my car 2L of e85 to a tank to bump up the octane !! so I fill will 98 then bump with 2L e85 to get close to 100 octane !! Never had 1 issue car loves it also i
I can't get hands on that type of fuel in here mate only option I have is Liqui Moly's octane booster which I think it might be useless
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #43
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

If I was you I would dump the intake and go back to stock !! I have vboxed both and the aftermarket intakes offer little to nothing with less torque !! Yes drop in filter FTW and an AFE scoop to force feed the air into the factory airbox !!

Last edited by chaddy74; 02-16-2015 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 01:47 PM   #44
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Yeah dont go Octane booster its rubbish !!
Quote:
I can't get hands on that type of fuel in here mate only option I have is Liqui Moly's octane booster which I think it might be useless
Appreciate 0