THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Sometimes Locked Out of First Gear

01-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
Milkee_0923
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Sometimes Locked Out of First Gear

Hey guys sometimes I get locked out of first gear. I have a Manual and at times when I'm stopped at a light I can't engage first gear. I would just start with second gear at that moment. After that the car would be fine going back into first. It doesnt happen that often, but when it does it makes me wonder how if something is wrong. What are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Could be linkage alignment issue, simple fix at dealer. Does it happen if car engine is off and your going through gear slots just playing around?
As long as no grinding sound when car is running and you attempt first probably means your clutch is fine.
Be sure your not hitting between 1st and reverse, which is easy to do.
If it slips in with a touch of throttle it could be an internal gearbox problem.

Last edited by overcoil; 01-30-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i 6MT

I have experienced a very similar symptom before, and I have also noticed that if you keep applying a small amount of pressure to the shifter towards first gear and slowly let out the clutch and it will then fall into place. It is a strange occurrence nonetheless
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW GENIUS View Post
I have experienced a very similar symptom before, and I have also noticed that if you keep applying a small amount of pressure to the shifter towards first gear and slowly let out the clutch and it will then fall into place. It is a strange occurrence nonetheless
Is what you describe occurring at a complete stop?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
BMW GENIUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Is what you describe occurring at a complete stop?
Yes. It's happened every time at a stop. (Not at every stop though by any means)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #6
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

In owning the car for 4 months so far, i can recall at least 3 times sporadically the car refused to go into first gear. A shift into 2nd gear and then back to 1st solved the problem. My subarus are notorious for not wanting to go into first gear and the "fix" as far as i know was to do the above. Im aware that subarus use a linkage type system but so far the same method works for both cars. If 2nd to 1st doesnt work, try the other gears as well...4th to 1st or 6th to 1st etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
Milkee_0923
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I'll give it a try. I haven't tried going into 2nd then back into 1st. I was caught up in the WTF moment and trying to get off the line. Glad to know im not the only one experiencing this.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #8
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Try smoothly downshifting into 1st from around 2500-rpm to 4000-rpm. I sometimes do it to prevent first-gear lockout when I come to a full stop at all-way intersections. In this way I don't block the driver behind me while I fumble for the first-gear. Or worse: hit the driver behind me because I engaged the reverse instead of first-gear (it happened to me twice while I was still learning the car but I let off the gas pedal quickly).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #9
bungee91
Private
Rep
Drives: Wife's F80 Y.M.B. 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW GENIUS View Post
This is true for me also, however now when it falls into place, it also has started popping back out after moving (not good).

As you described, sometimes the shifter only goes so far forward and not fully engaged. If you were to try going it would just grind. If you tried to force it, it won't go. However if you shift to 2nd, and then 1st, it should go in just fine.

Mine all started after a missed shift, but not specifically 1st gear.
Was going a bit fast, and turning, went to engage 3rd. Instead of letting the stick go where it wanted to, I forced it towards where 3rd should have been. It made a grinding noise, and wasn't happy (so I didn't get in to any gear, just a missed nothing of a shift). Ever since then I've had this issue.

The dealer thinks I've worn out part of the synchro, or tooth to 1st gear. This way when it aligns right there, it gives me this issue.
All and all they told me line it up when stopping (unacceptable), and explained that it is normal and sometimes they're just not lined up perfectly (still somewhat unacceptable). This all took place with the regional manager, or someone in my area higher than the dealership itself.

Anyhow I just deal with, but know it's not right. I'm not sure why lately it pops out if you let it "fall in", that's new to me, and no other inflicted damage has occurred.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
bungee91
Private
Rep
Drives: Wife's F80 Y.M.B. 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
Or worse: hit the driver behind me because I engaged the reverse instead of first-gear (it happened to me twice while I was still learning the car but I let off the gas pedal quickly).
Did this once, couldn't believe I almost hit the guy behind me!
Was frantically trying to get into 1st, and ended up in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #11
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I tried a common technique today: I just pressed the clutch pedal and engaged 1st gear while continuing to keep the clutch down until my car came to a complete stop. In this way I was prepared to immediately start moving again in first.

However this technique, unless done at really slow speeds, is still putting a lot of strain on 1st gear synchro because it is essentially the same as downshifting to 1st except you don't release the clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0